DFWHoopster

Reaction score
A focus on the top SFs in the Big 12

1. Quincy Miller- Baylor
2. Khris Middleton- A&M
3. LeBryan Nash- OSU
4. Cameron Clark- OU
5. Kim English- Missouri

Miller- I typically discount freshmen except for ones that are ranked in the top 10 nationally. They have a history of producing. The best examples of that were Michael Beasley (KSU) and Kevin Durant (Texas). Quincy Miller has some similarities to Durant. He plays with passion like Durant did. He shares a similar frame to Durant- great wingspan. He can score from almost any spot on the floor like Durant. I caught a scrimmage of Miller going head to head against Ekpe Udoh this summer. Miller went right at him that day and delivered plenty of buckets. He starts talking the second the ball goes into action and never gives his mouth a rest. All clean, clever stuff. I can see him wearing out opponents and their fan bases and energizing Baylor fans. Baylor fans better enjoy him early and often. He's projected as a top 5 pick in the 2012 NBA draft.

Middleton- poised to be one of the league's top scorers Middleton is a nightmare cover for opponents. He like Quincy Miller can score from a lot of positions on the floor. He doubled his scoring average from his freshman season (14.4 ppg) last year. He averaged over 5 rebounds per game. Shoots free throws well (78%). The knock on him is the same as Perry Jones. He can be tentative at times. But he possesses great skills and will be help the Aggies anchor a front line (Middleton, Loubeau, Roberson) that is the 2nd best group in the league next to Baylor's.

Nash- how good does LeBryan Nash want to be? He has been blessed with phenomenal skill. He has an NBA ready body at 6'7" 230lbs. He shoots the ball well from the outside. He can put people on a poster when he takes the ball to the hoop aggressively. But sometimes the body language is awful- aloof. I watched him play 5 or so AAU games and the poor body language/ effort was a constant theme during those games. He is one of those players that could be the big12 player of the year. And he might be in Ford's doghouse for lack of effort (riding the pine).

Clark- another player in the mold of Middleton and Perry Jones. He has a smooth game that is often highlighted by spectacular dunks. Last year he averaged 9 pts. I would expect that number to take a big leap forward as a sophomore. Clark, Pledger and Fitzgerald should be the leading scorers. Romero Osby might be Cameron Clark's best friend- doing the dirty work inside to free up better looks for Clark.

English- tough choice here. His numbers dropped from sophomore to junior years. That is usually not a good sign for predicting productivity as a senior (14 pts down to 10 pts). He will be an interesting player to watch.

Under consideration:

Anthony Jones- Baylor; 2 year starter. Numbers have improved every year. Last year shot 52% from field; 40% from 3; 82% from FT; 9 pts per game; 5.3 rebounds. But not enough balls to go around for Anthony to be in the top 5. It would not shock me to see him redshirted if he wants to maximize his pro prospects.

Melvin Ejim- Iowa State; I could throw Clark, English and Ejim in a hat and be fine with any of those at 4 and 5 in the league. I gave the nod to English and Clark because they are better shooters. Ejim is the better rebounder- he averaged almost 7 rebounds per game and 10 pts for Hoiberg's Cyclones.

Jamar Samuels- KSU; like English his numbers took a step back last year (11 pts down to 8.5 pts). The shooting percentages were not good- 41% from the field; 23% from 3; 65% from FT. He did average over 5 rebounds.

A pretty weak position for the league this year. PF is loaded (Perry Jones, Thomas Robinson, David Loubeau, Quincy Acy, Royce White, Clint Chapman, Andrew Fitzgerald, Romero Osby, Laurence Bowers, Ricardo Ratliffe)...

Clark, Pledger and Fitzgerald should be the leading scorers.

If Osby isn't a top 3 scorer this season, we might not be an NIT team.

I think Olukemi has to at least be under consideration.

Samuels is going to be interesting to watch this year as he disappointed many of us who thought he and Kelley would have breakout years last year.

I have a good feeling about Cam under Kruger's system.

DFW,

What are your numbers predictions for Miller? How is his knee? Do you think it will hold up ok under the rigors of Big12 basketball?

Samuels is going to be interesting to watch this year as he disappointed many of us who thought he and Kelley would have breakout years last year.

I have a good feeling about Cam under Kruger's system.

DFW,

What are your numbers predictions for Miller? How is his knee? Do you think it will hold up ok under the rigors of Big12 basketball?

I'm guessing 16 pts: 8 reb. His knee looks 100%. He's cutting hard on it.

I disagree w/ Miller. I don't think he will even start for Baylor. He will most likely be 6th man of the year in the big 12. I wouldn't exactly call him a SF but KU's Releford will be playing mostly the 3 for them and I expect him to be a huge contributor. He's got a good frame at 6'5.

Melvin Ejim is a talent.. Guy is VERY strong and athletic. I think he has a bright future. My top 5 are:

1.) Khris Middleton - Very good offensive player, and maybe even better on defense. Very talented overall player.

2.) Lebryan Nash - Freak.

3.) Melvin Ejim - Already discussed above.

4.) Cameron Clark - Should burst out this year and be a 14/6 type of guy.

5.) JP Olukemi - Averaged 11 per game as a first year player. He reminds me of Nolan Johnson. Can't shoot, but is athletic and stronger than everyone else and can get to the rim whenever he wants.

Back