Top 5's from opening weekend in the Big 12!!!

thebigabd

Reaction score
All big 12 teams won big, and most teams really showcased their new additions. This is a very talented league this year, and so many of the freshman and newcomers are going to be fantastic....

Top 5 Performances
1.) Lace Dunn (Baylor)- 32 points, 2 steals, 1 rebound
2.) James Anderson (Oklahoma State)- 22 points, 15 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal, 1 assist
3.) Xavier Henry (Kansas)- 27 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
4.) Cory Higgins (Colorado)- 26 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal
5.) Tiny Gallon (Oklahoma)- 18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assist

Top 5 Freshman Performances
1.) Xavier Henry (Kansas)- 27 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
2.) Tiny Gallon (Oklahoma)- 18 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists
3.) Stephen Pledger (Oklahoma)- 21 points, 4-5 from 3pt line
4.) Andrew Fitzgerald (Oklahoma)- 14 points, 7 rebounds
5.) Alec Burks (Colorado)- 13 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds

Top 5 Newcomer Performances
1.) Curtis Kelley (Kansas State)- 22 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks
2.) Ekpe Udoh (Baylor)- 18 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks
3.) Laron Dendy (Iowa State)- 16 points, 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block
4.) Lance Jeter (Nebraska)- 17 points, 6 assists, 2 steals, 2 rebounds
5.) David Tairu (Texas Tech)- 17 points, 2 rebounds, 2 steals

Last edited:
23 points (on 15 shots), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal < 15 points (on 10 shots), 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals

I was also thinking 15 and 11 was better than 23 and 3

Big Ekpe Udoh is going to make liars out of some of us.

23 points (on 15 shots), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal < 15 points (on 10 shots), 11 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals

It's funny you mention the amount of shots since 7-15 is a higher % than 4 of 10. :) However, I agree that 15 and 11 is by far more impressive than 23 and 3. WW is one of those recruiting battles that I really wish we would have won.

It's funny you mention the amount of shots since 7-15 is a higher % than 4 of 10. :) However, I agree that 15 and 11 is by far more impressive than 23 and 3. WW is one of those recruiting battles that I really wish we would have won.

My point was that they were scoring the same amount per shot.

missing james anderson on your top 5 peformances. 22 points on 9 shots career high 15 boards. pretty solid performance if you ask me.

Last edited:
Big Ekpe Udoh is going to make liars out of some of us.

attaboy DM- you are scoring points with me for your honesty :clap

Ekpe was impressive against a pretty decent post player for Norfolk State- 6'11" 290 and could move well. Ekpe's foul shooting leaves a lot to be desired. But from 10 feet in- he is effective with either hand and he has the strength to finish after contact. His ball-handling has been the biggest surprise. He has been used to bring the ball up against the press and does so effectively. We'll see how he does against the big boys but in my mind, he's in the discussion for the top 6 big men in the conference- Aldrich, Pittman, Brackins, Gallon, Davis, Udoh.

Carl- pretty sure abd posted this before OSU played and Tairu at Tech followed up with a poor performance against Texas A&M Copus Christi.

missing james anderson on your top 5 peformances. 22 points on 9 shots career high 15 boards. pretty solid performance if you ask me.

I made it before OSU and Nebraska played...

James Anderson moved to the #2 performance of opening weekend, and Lance Jeter (the new PG at Nebraska) moved to #4 for his 17 point, 6 assist debut for Nebraska on the newcomers list.

Roger Franklin probably had one of the top 5 Lost Teeth games of the week with 1.

Roger Franklin probably had one of the top 5 Lost Teeth games of the week with 1.

And Matt Pilgrim had one of the top 5 reasons that a player was cut from Kentucky this week.

Interesting week. Glad the Big 12 went undefeated.

Sounds like he's learning a lot from Moses.

In Moses news, he played 32 minutes and had 2 fouls. Also, he had 16 field goal attempts, which must be a mistake as DirtyMess has said Ford does not feed the post.

He also got a rebound, took the ball all the way up court and had it stolen after he thought play had stopped. If they hadn't been up by 20ish, I wouldn't have thought it was funny.

He also knocked Roger Franklin's tooth out.

and Tairu at Tech followed up with a poor performance against Texas A&M Copus Christi.

Bounced back with 19 points in 24 minutes against Oregon State today... Tairu is averaging 14 a game in his first three games for Texas Tech. He is also shooting 55% from the 3pt line...That is instant impact out of the juco ranks if I have ever seen it.

Bounced back with 19 points in 24 minutes against Oregon State today... Tairu is averaging 14 a game in his first three games for Texas Tech. He is also shooting 55% from the 3pt line...That is instant impact out of the juco ranks if I have ever seen it.

it was an impressive win for Tech. If Tech has raised it up a notch, it just makes the big 12 all the more tough.

LOL.

I like this quote. To me it read "55% from the 3-pt line through 3 games against mediocre competition is about as big of an impact as you'll see from a juco player." :)

Back