Toughness

cowboysooner

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed about this team that has been lacking since we lost AT is a girl with a little mean streak and street toughness to her. I think we may have 3 girls that fit that description on this team. Jaz, Portia and Sharane all have a grit to them that has been lacking in my opinion. And I don't mean they are doing things to hurt somebody but just a physicality that doesn't evidence any fear whatsoever. As a freshman, Sharane may have been a little reserved, but she is playing now in a manner that I think is more consistent with her true temperment. Jaz handed out at least one forearm shiver, and forcefully slapped away prying hands. Portia is going to be a beast. When she goes up in a crowd, people just start falling away. I like it.

I like all of Sherri's players and I think you are going to see minutes given to reserves in an amount we haven't seen since the dales years. I just like all the girls and what they bring to the table. Kornet had a terrible game last night, but you can see the talent. Manning looked pretty good. durrett was unreal, and can't be that good.

It looks like our basic rotation will be the girls that started last night, hartman, durrett and Campbell. I think kornet and manning will get plenty of minutes early in the year and then probably fewer when it counts.

We are going to shoot the ball uniquely well, both from the field and free throw line. No doubt Kornet is a pure shooter, but she seems to me to have fallen into the same problem Whit fell into last year, e.g. her body was moving parallell to the hoop while her arms were going to the hoop during her shot. Whit has quit this, but Kornet slid left on almost every shot. One of the oldest adages in the game, is that you need to square up to shoot. Thisn't isn't always true and some kids can shoot off balance and without moving their body in the same direction as their arms, but most don't shoot as well without good fundamental.

I'll tell you, I really like this team and if Griffin isn't a mirage, we can and will play with anyone, including baylor.

I have said in the past we need to be tougher. Some have criticized teams like A&M for playing that style of basketball. Regardless, I agree with you that more toughness would be a good thing.

I would like to see Maddie on the floor as much as possible. She would be my 6th man.

I have said in the past we need to be tougher. Some have criticized teams like A&M for playing that style of basketball. Regardless, I agree with you that more toughness would be a good thing.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it wasn't toughness that I criticized A&M about. It was the blatant attitude that they were going to foul people all over the court and dare the officials to make the calls. I don't think that's the same as players being mentally and physically tough. That's just being rough and hoping you can get away with it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it wasn't toughness that I criticized A&M about. It was the blatant attitude that they were going to foul people all over the court and dare the officials to make the calls. I don't think that's the same as players being mentally and physically tough. That's just being rough and hoping you can get away with it.

I think it's perception...if we do it, it's okay. If other teams do it they are being bullys.

Agreed.

I would like to see Maddie on the floor as much as possible. She would be my 6th man.

Yeah same here, she comes in looking to score and looks way more athletic then I thought she was. But Campbell has a year on Manning and she's just as good as our 6th man.

I agree with CowboySooner on the three toughest, but I have to add Maddie to the mix. Her growth from the Red/White game to the last exhibition is excellent. More sure of herself in decisions with the basketball, and looked for the open drive to the basket. Played more in control. Takes a pounding and keeps coming back. This team is showing a toughness we haven't seen in a while. Got to love that Portia.

I'm not preaching A&M style defense, but just stating that many girls, generally not aggressive or violent (use that term loosely), are intimidated by physical play or constant bodily contact. For some, it makes them mad and increases their intensity. AT was like this. The tougher and more physical you got with her, the more physical she got with you. some kids are like that, boys and girls, and some aren't. I'm sure they are nice as pie off the court, but sharane, Portia and jaz seem to have a toughness or edge to them that could prove invaluable againt some teams.

I see what everyone else sees in Maddie, but just think Coach is going to bring her along a little slower than some of you think. Either way I'm ok with it, she can really play. I know this, if she is your 10th player and last person off the bench, you're team is good.

By the way, it is hard to believe Durrett and Griffin are as good as they have played in these two exhibitions isn't it? I agree with Tubbs' statement, don't know if I have ever seen a transfirmation like appears to have occurred with Griffin. Maybe she will revert against better talent. If not, we will all have to revise our preseason predictions on this team.

Among other things about Nicole, I wish she was more aggressive about getting to the ball on rebounds, but she seems to be improving there, too.

Gary Blair has openly said that they were going to challenge the officials to make the calls. And it works. The officials start by calling the game right but usually back off when Blair challenges every call they make no matter how blatent the foul.

I think Whitney is pretty tough too. Last year she started playing a lot more physical and started driving to the hoop. She blocks out well on rebounds as well.

Campbell has a knack of being a victim. Somehow she is always the one who gets run over on screens, knocked down on drives to the hoop and on rebounds. Love it.

In the first exhibition game I was mesmerized by Jaz - every time I looked at her the FIRST thing that crossed my mind was: I would HATE to go up against her! I loved it! The look on her face was pure determination - I would even say menace as in, if you WANT some, TRY and come get it!

Love that kind of toughness.

This team is better than a lot of people think it is. Stand by for surprise after surprise.

Agree SN, if you want to compete at the national level you must play the style and have the toughness of those type teams. Good start toward that with these three players.

Back