Transfer Portal Thread

I agree on Sparks. Needed just for offensive rebounding alone (and he adds other abilities).

The portal is going bonkers.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1506333038506127362[/TWEET]

It's a shame what the portal has done to the smaller leagues. An absolute shame.

It's a shame what the portal has done to the smaller leagues. An absolute shame.

I agree, but even still, we've seen a lot of upsets this year.

I think even with the Portal, there is a lot of parity in college basketball right now.

As if the need to upgrade our talent wasn't obvious enough already, it is underscored by the fact that Gradey Dick, who will be a freshman at KU next season, just won the Gatorade National POY award. As much as I despise KU, this is pretty cool -- he spent the last two seasons at Sunrise Prep (currently number 1 in the country), but before that, he attended my old high school. Once he gets to Lawrence, I hope he lights it up every night in a losing cause. :)

As if the need to upgrade our talent wasn't obvious enough already, it is underscored by the fact that Gradey Dick, who will be a freshman at KU next season, just won the Gatorade National POY award. As much as I despise KU, this is pretty cool -- he spent the last two seasons at Sunrise Prep (currently number 1 in the country), but before that, he attended my old high school. Once he gets to Lawrence, I hope he lights it up every night in a losing cause. :)

After Buddy, I really thought Sunrise Christian would turn into a pipeline for OU and we'd go back there for the recruits that didn't end up at KU. A great program with multiple high end D1 guys.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1506400542536486922?s=20&t=yRlh1oSuBSTVrdLzdWB7_w[/TWEET]

allday, your tweet isn't showing up.

-----

adding a guard named Caleb Fuller to the list. I guess under the "Other transfers who could make sense:" category. He's transferring from UC-Davis. He's British and has a pre-established relationship with Coach Patrick (Patrick has extensive overseas ties and likely recruited Fuller at UC Riverside). He averaged 12 ppg and 5.5 rpg this season. 6'5 wing. Best guess is he's not a guy who'd end up at OU but it makes some sense based on Patrick.

there's also a familiar name to #okpreps followers who popped into the portal - Keyondre Young (Del City). He played at Valparaiso this season but was injured most of the time. Probably not an OU guy but he's someone I'll track anyway, lol.

Another guy to add based on Coach Patrick following him tonight.

Originally from Cibolo, TX (San Antonio).

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TP4PT/status/1501767209944850433?s=20&t=Qf75_XLAeolOaXdONTIcrg[/TWEET]

After Buddy, I really thought Sunrise Christian would turn into a pipeline for OU and we'd go back there for the recruits that didn't end up at KU. A great program with multiple high end D1 guys.

It almost seems like they’ve gotten too good to be somewhat of a hidden gem for us. They have guys on the radar of all the blue bloods. Buddy was there shortly before they got quite to that point, but I agree, it would be great if we could ever snag another player or two from them.

Also adding Neal Quinn. 7'0 transfer from Lafayette. Based on Matt Gordon following him tonight. Too many names, lol. He averaged almost 15 ppg and 7.5 rpg.

Its more than that, its a downright travesty. Small teams will only ever have 1 successful year in a row bc then theyll all try to bounce

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/HoopScoopMedia/status/1506445322804862978[/TWEET]

Its more than that, its a downright travesty. Small teams will only ever have 1 successful year in a row bc then theyll all try to bounce

Could add it's a shame what it's done to JuCo as well. Why go the JuCo route when you can get so and so from UNCW?

:ez-roll:

Na, many schools hit the JuCo circuit pretty hard before this. Not so much anymore. Kuath was a JuCo. Williams was a JuCo. Those might be few and far between going forward.

Ya, juco had been significantly worse the last 12-15 years because of prep schools.

Kelvin Sampson, one of the best juco recruiters, has 0 juco players on the team.

Last edited:
The portal sucks for a variety of reasons. My biggest issue is that I actually think it will actually HURT the athletes more than it helps in the long run. There is something to be said for being a part of something, having a lifelong allegiance, seeing something through, etc. A lot of these kids are already low on the self-awareness scale because they’ve had “handlers” and people telling them they are the next Steph since they were 10 years old. Now, if a kid gets in campus and things don’t go exactly as planned, it’s immediately bail time. A player should of course be able to transfer but I feel like the one-year sit out rule aids against impulsive decisions/bad advice.

What we have now is something above and beyond pro sports in terms of free agency. It’s free agency without any contractual obligation. So every player enters free agency after each season. And with NIL now it is most certainly ACTUAL free agency.

All that said, adapt or die. This is the way it is now and it’s not changing. I still enjoy college basketball so as a fan I just accept it for what it is and move on. I hope OU takes advantage of it. I think it could work in our favor a little bit in this regard— we aren’t going to blow doors off any HS recruits when we bring them to Norman for a game. Will be hard to ever get the 4 and 5 stars consistently. But once kids perhaps tire of another place, if our staff/facilities have a good rep in the marketplace (and we are competitive in terms of $$) then the other stuff we can’t match may not matter as much.

I think OU could be successful in the portal this year. We have a brand name that usually makes the tournament, coach with recent success, and showed last year that we're willing to feature our portal players -- and that we didn't play any weird games with overpromising/overrecruiting positions like Beard did at Texas.

We're a friendly destination for guys who want a chance to win big in a great conference.

Back