Update: Frank Booker announcing on March 21

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit #3: Now Neysmith tweeting that Booker will announce on the 21st. Click here.

Edit #2: Horace Neysmith, from allmetrohoops.com, is tweeting that Booker has committed to Oklahoma. Click here.

Edit #1: Well, now hearing that it isn't 100 percent set in stone that his decision will be announced tomorrow. So we'll see.

Original Report: Have just been able to confirm that Augusta, Ga. shooting guard Frank Booker will be making a commitment tomorrow.

Booker had other notable offers from A&M, Tennessee, Miami and Auburn in addition to OU. He was scheduled to be in Knoxville this past weekend, but apparently did not make the trip.

Horace Neysmith, who covers Georgia basketball for allmetrohoops.com, tweeted the following earlier this evening about Booker's decision.

"OU is looking good," said Neysmith. "He had a great visit out there."

So, take that for what it's worth. And, yes, if that name sounds familiar it's because he is the father of former Sooner Tony Neysmith.

Should Booker commit to Oklahoma, the first day he can sign would be April 17.

As you'll see in the video below, Booker is a big-time shooting prospect with very deep range.

Here is a highlight reel of a recent 42-point game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B8Tc3NTX1k&feature=youtu.be

Re: Frank Booker is announcing tomorrow

Spoke with someone "in the know" yesterday who said he's 99% coming to OU.

Just passing along the info.

Something about this kid I just like. Not sure what, but I think when it's said and done, he is going to be a really, really, really good college guard. Seems to be flying under the radar, but he has the size, and shooting ability that you can't teach in college, to flourish. Super excited if he ends up at OU.

Would be a GREAT addition for us next year as a complement to our freshman guards. I like his versatility. He can shoot it, but also looked good taking it to the rack.

I think, on paper at least, he'd step in to the backup SG role. A basic depth chart to start the season would probably look like this:

PG: Woodard/Cousins
SG: Hornbeak/Booker
OG: Hield/Cam
PF: M'Baye/Bennett
C: Spangler/Hamilton

Cam could obviously get minutes at the four at times. And Neal and Cole would be on there as well, with one more scholarship available.

I think his commitment would really improve us for next season.
It looks like he can really help fill the Pledger role of stretching the defense, and might be a little better at getting to the hole.
I don't expect him to come in as a freshman performing at Pledger's current level, but we really would be helped out by adding a shooter like this.

My one concern is that it looks like his release might be a little low.

Last edited:

Something about this kid I just like. Not sure what, but I think when it's said and done, he is going to be a really, really, really good college guard. Seems to be flying under the radar, but he has the size, and shooting ability that you can't teach in college, to flourish. Super excited if he ends up at OU.

Read this and you'll know why you like this kid:

Booker has gone for over 40 points twice this year and can score points in bunches. His range is down right scary at times. Leave him open, pretty much anywhere past the midcourt stripe, and booker is likely to let it fly. They're not bad shots, it's something he practices every single day

"I'm shooting the ball a little bit deeper, with hands in the face, and I'm getting more efficient with my shots" said Frank Booker "Rather then just shooting it and hoping it goes in, now shooting it and knowing it's going in."

"At times, we, as coaches on the bench feel some of the shots have been a little too deep, but when they drop, we just look at each other and sort of just shake our heads." said coach Marvin Fields

It's not all outside game for Frank, who's really made himself a better player this year, on both ends. He knows if he, and the rest of the team rebounds, they'll win. He also has his dad as an assistant coach which comes in handy at times.

"His shooting abilities have developed over the years and I really attribute that to the hard work that coach Frank Booker has put in with him." said coach Fields

"It's a lot easier to know that he's there with me and he helps me, guides me. If I need help, I'll go over to the sidelines to the coaches and ask what do you see and what are you looking at and its a lot easier to play that way." added Booker

Coach Marvin Fields calls frank one of the best he's ever coached and is also one of the best team players he has. As far as the future, Frank's waiting til after the season before he decides on anything but he is getting looks from several major programs.

http://www.wrdw.com/sports/headlines/Westsides-Booker-among-the-basketball-elite-191284681.html

Another video of Frank Booker:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uusrkCG9d0w[/ame]

Uploaded on Aug 31, 2011
Frank Booker is a 6'4" guard who will graduate in 2013. He has started for Westside High School's basketball team since his freshman year. He is a pure shooter and he is very skilled in the other areas of the game. He plays AAU ball for Southern Select. Additional highlights of Booker, while playing for Southern Select, can be found at Augustaeagles.blogspot.com under "Southern Select" in the "Featured AAU Teams" section. Southern Select's website is southernselectbasketballinc.com

I actually like his shot. Squares up, not all chest or arm. a tad low. I like his length too.

exciting prospect!

Booker is also a scholar athlete from a great family, the kind of young man Coach Kruger looks for. Watch this video and you'll be impressed:

http://www2.wjbf.com/sports/2012/nov/06/scholar-athlete-frank-booker-75790-vi-150769/

It also helps that he can fill up the nets from well beyond the three point line. Wasn't a shooting guard who can really score from deep on our wish list in the 2013 class? Looks like a perfect fit to me.

Well, now hearing that it isn't 100 percent set in stone that his decision will be announced tomorrow. So we'll see.

I think his commitment would really improve us for next season.
It looks like he can really help fill the Pledger role of stretching the defense, and might be a little better at getting to the hole.
I don't expect him to come in as a freshman performing at Pledger's current level, but we really would be helped out by adding a shooter like this.

My one concern is that it looks like his release might be a little low.

You mean kinda like Kevin Martin? ;)

Re: Frank Booker may be announcing tomorrow

Also, Booker did not visit Tennessee this weekend as was planned.

We need that kid! I hope he chooses OU.

Neysmith now tweeting it appears he's committed to OU.

Well, now hearing that it isn't 100 percent set in stone that his decision will be announced tomorrow. So we'll see.

Well quit yanking our damn chains already.

Well, now we have this:

Horace Neysmith, from allmetrohoops.com, is tweeting that Booker has committed to Oklahoma. Click here.

Re: Update: Twitter report says Frank Booker is a Sooner

BTW, how has Tony been doing?

Re: Update: Twitter report says Frank Booker is a Sooner

Rivals recruiting guy Justin Young tweets:

@JustinDYoung
For my #Oklahoma hoops fans, @frankbooker11 was the best senior shooter in Georgia this year. He's a top 10 SR in GA. Had a great year.

Back