UTEP was a "Big 12" style team

thebigabd

Reaction score
UTEP had the size, athletic ability, and talent you will find in the Big 12. Capel knew it, saying they were the best team they had faced yet this year. To me, this was the first test against the quality of competition OU will face on most nights in the Big 12.

Now, it sucks that this has to be the teams 4th loss, but the team will need to use this game as the measuring stick in terms of how they need to improve for the Big 12 which is now not far away.

I felt like UTEP embarrassed Oklahoma tonight. They led by 18 at half and OU never got it to single digits. UTEP played the role of "better team" that came out to take the air out of the ball and not lose and still kept their double-digit lead through the second half. They didnt play like they did in the 1st half, but it didnt feel like it was because OU played better, but more like they were playing with a 20 point lead. I havent seen OU get dominated like that since Capels first year.

Last edited:
UTEP had the size, athletic ability, and talent you will find in the Big 12. Capel knew it, saying they were the best team they had faced yet this year. To me, this was the first test against the quality of competition OU will face on most nights in the Big 12.

Now, it sucks that this has to be the teams 4th loss, but the team will need to use this game as the measuring stick in terms of how they need to improve for the Big 12 which is now not far away.

I felt like UTEP embarrassed Oklahoma tonight. They led by 18 at half and OU never got it to single digits. UTEP played the role of "better team" that came out to take the air out of the ball and not lose and still kept their double-digit lead through the second half. They didnt play like they did in the 1st half, but it didnt feel like it was because OU played better, but more like they were playing with a 20 point lead. I havent seen OU get dominated like that since Capels first year.

No body in the big12 except KU and UT had athletes like that. UT might not have that athleticism . Baylor and A&M are athletic, but not like that. Might be the most athletic team OU plays all year. Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, OSU, KSU, and Tech are combined not as athletic a team as those guys.

No body in the big12 except KU and UT had athletes like that. UT might not have that athleticism . Baylor and A&M are athletic, but not like that. Might be the most athletic team OU plays all year. Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, OSU, KSU, and Tech are combined not as athletic a team as those guys.

Give me a break.

UTEP has such dominating athletes that they lost to New Mexico State (5-6) at home.

losing a game has nothing to do with the level of athleticism. You've never watched the first rounds of the NCAA tournament? Fact is you can't name any teams in the conference that could match up with UTEP. If there were, I'd be the first to admit it and I'd be the first to say that OU would probably see the same fate they saw against UTEP. Teams with that type of athleticism is a bad matchup for OU.

losing a game has nothing to do with the level of athleticism. You've never watched the first rounds of the NCAA tournament? Fact is you can't name any teams in the conference that could match up with UTEP. If there were, I'd be the first to admit it and I'd be the first to say that OU would probably see the same fate they saw against UTEP. Teams with that type of athleticism is a bad matchup for OU.

UTEP has 2 guys that will play in the NBA, which is not something most Big 12 schools can say. Only Texas, Kansas, KSU, and Missouri can match up with UTEP in terms of pure basketball athletes on roster.

UTEP has 2 guys that will play in the NBA, which is not something most Big 12 schools can say. Only Texas, Kansas, KSU, and Missouri can match up with UTEP in terms of pure basketball athletes on roster.

And it's not so much the guards. Their are guards that will do a better job staying in front of Culpepper than our guards. Mizzou's guards would do alot better than ours. However, the bigs they have is what is rare. Especially to a conference USA team.

caracter if he proves himself reliable. he certainly has the talent.

who else, the big point?

caracter if he proves himself reliable. he certainly has the talent.

who else, the big point?

Arnett Moultrie, the center. Very good player and he is just a sophomore.

They reminded me of a poor man's UConn with lots of good athletes who are tall with long wingspans who can defend and run along with a good PG to make it go.

Back