ViVi and McKenna

SoonerNorm

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think both girls are playing about as well as they were expected to play. We knew ViVi was coming off a knee injury and she would like not be at 100% for sometime. I do think she plays a bit tentative so it will be interesting to see how she improves by Feb 1.

McKenna is about what I expected when she arrived. Her footwork is pretty good and she can shoot out to 12' or so. She needs to be more aggressive rebounding the basketball and her defense needs improvement, pretty much like every freshmen who enters college.

I don't see McKenna or ViVi challenging Kaylon for a starting job this year. Kaylon has more experience and is best equipped to defend good centers, as long as she can limit fouls.

Next year we have Ijeoma Odimgbe coming. This is what ProspectNation said about her:

Coaches from several of the power conferences, including several head coaches, came to watch the 6-foot-5 post player from the Savannah Lady Tigers during the first two days of the viewing period. It is easy to understand why so many programs have made Odimgbe a priority to recruit early this month. She has a prototypical frame and athleticism that should make her an impact defender and rebounder within the first two years of when she steps onto a college campus. She was a virtual unknown before playing at the PSB Tip-Off Classic in April of this year. After showing that she can be an elite shot blocker and paint defender, schools such as Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, LSU and others immediately began to recruit her. While her offensive skills lack polish at this moment, the tools are there to be able to develop a back to the basket game in years to come.

If she comes in and is a really good defender and shot blocker, that will be very good. Hopefully, her offensive game will improve over the following year or so. We have Nancy coming in 2016 so she should help inside as well.

If Nancy is good enough to start, it will be interesting to see if Sherri starts using McKenna, ViVi, or Odimgbe at the PF position or if she will continue with a 4-guard offense.

I have been a bit surprised that they have adapted so rapidly to D-1 ball, especially since Vivi is coming off an ACL. I was stunned by Vivi's performance in OT against Illinois. If THAT Vivi were to show up every day, she would start. I could see McKenna as a power forward since she can shoot and draw a defender away from the rim, which should provide Vivi or Kay Kay some room to operate. Kay Kay, even more than Vivi, needs room.

I don't see either starting this year. If they do, we are in trouble because Kay Kay would have failed.

In addition to Odimgbe coming in which would give us:
Kay Kay---as a senior
Vivi
Odimgbe, Ijeoma
McKenna

Then, we add Nancy as we subtract Kay Kay. But, we might also add Cox in 2016 and Madison in 2017. The interior may end up a strength.

So far I like what both freshmen bring to the table. McKenna can become a solid offensive presence on the block. She takes up room and gives the guards a big target when she shows both arms in the air. She commands on the block and shows no fear. Once she gets her foot work down and knows how to defend, she will be a really good option for us on the block.

Vivo has all the tools to be a tough post player. She fights on defense, needs to get better in finishing at the rim, but that will come with time. She just needs to be consistent game after game. I think both of the kids will become very good post players as they gain more playing time.

I would like to see ViVi compete harder every play. I think that would result in Sherri giving her more minutes.

Nance has two years to improve, but I couldn't see her starting at this point, Im looking forward to seeing Ijeoma Odimgbe play, I've seen her listed as a 6'5 power forward... Maybe Sherri will play her and Kay Kay together.

Nance has two years to improve, but I couldn't see her starting at this point, Im looking forward to seeing Ijeoma Odimgbe play, I've seen her listed as a 6'5 power forward... Maybe Sherri will play her and Kay Kay together.

I noticed that Odimgbe had some pretty good schools recruiting her so that gives me hope she will improve the position.

I read that Nancy had a triple double the other night.

The thing that gives me hope with Nancy is that she has a mother and aunt who were successful in college ball. They should be able to teach her more effectively than just being a 6-9 kid. Her aunt is 6-6 or something like that, as is her mother. I have also heard that she can move.

I remember being surprised that Griner was not a big scorer or rebounder in highschool. I seem to remember something like a 15-8 type game which I thought was not all that much for someone 6-8. But, she didn't enter college as a great rebounder. She also entered as a poor free throw shooter. She learned big time. DeHaan, the most-often used comparison, didn't really move well, and she didn't know how to use the size that she had.

Since we will have others here, I don't see her starting immediately. But, she should be effective in conjunction with them. Trying to guard someone 6-9 should create opportunities for our other interior players.

Nancy needs some muscles. I hope she gets more international play. I a. Wandering what types of players she plays against?

She's in a pretty fair conference. She was listed on the 2013 FIBA U-16 team, but may have been only an alternate. She was on the U-17 FIBA 2014 team. You actually have to try out to make these teams. It isn't like you are selected by a magazine. You would think that would mean something for people like Nancy and Dungee who actually went through the tryouts to make the teams.

Back