We can make a good run if,

SoonerinNC

Reaction score
1) Little continues to develop and use her mid-range game. We have to accept that she is not a great 3 point scorer. Hope she proves me wrong.

2) ViVi and Ortiz continue the solid play of recent games.

3) Dungee and Mulkee develop. They have faded some in recent games. We will be hurt if they retreat rather than regain and improve on earlier results.

4) TiTi, Carter and Williams continue to proved high energy and defensive help off the bench. I would settle for a settled down Carter as a starter, but not the wild thing she often is.

5) Most important is Maddie. She often disappears after a show start. Was even removed in crunch time in a recent game. I saw Kelsey Plum have a horrendous first half last night against a tough Arizona State team. But she kept on keeping on and scored 27 points in the second half for a win. Plum knows that her success is critical to the Washington team. Maddie, while no Plum, is just as important to the success of our team. She doesn't have the luxury of fading out if we are going to get beyone the NCAA first round.

6) Would be nice if Wyatt could get a few quick treys off the bench when we go into a scoring funk. And if Rich is our best shooter she would get into the mix.

Against Tech, Maddie hit the first shot of the game. Then, she missed her next seven shots. She still did everything else right, and she made a couple of layups late in the game. Her stat sheet said 3 for 10 from the field, which is "acceptable." But, it was a fairly bad shooting night. Yet, she did find and kept going. It is helpful if an early three attempt falls. She was shooting poorly at Iowa State, something like 0 for 5, when she suddenly hit two three pointers quickly to make it 28-30 at the half and give us some sense of hope. She is beginning to get it---that she has to keep firing.

I think Chelsea and Nancy started out doing what came natural. They just played. As they learned, they began to stress a little. Nancy had no hesitation or forced action on her shot early in the year. Now, she fires it off the board like a grenade. They just need to relax back into what they can do and not overthink it. Nancy and Maddie were developing some chemistry, and it has disappeared.

Gioya has played two successive OK games. We don't need her to score twenty. Just don't make mistakes and give us an occasional good shot. Don't reach in. LaNesia seems to make fewer mistakes now than TT or Gioya. She is better for our running game than they are.

Vivi concerns me against Texas and Baylor. She has done well against Texas in the past. The big girls of Baylor seemed to intimidate her as well as KK. She has to play through them. Hoping Nancy helps here. Maybe she has gone through her insecurities this year.

Nice post (SoonerinNC).

I think Dungee's and Mulkey's "fading" may have more to do with Vivi's and Gabbi's resurgence than anything else. Also, Maddie doesn't necessarily have to score a ton to be a force for the Sooners. Her defensive play/rebounding ability is also vitally important.

Last edited:
Nice post (SoonerinNC).

I think Dungee's and Mulkey's "fading" may have more to do with Vivi's and Gabbi's resurgence than anything else. Also, Maddie doesn't necessarily have to score a ton to be a force for the Sooners. Her defensive play/rebounding ability is also vitally important.

I think it also has to do with being freshmen. They may have hit a little bit of a wall now and hopefully will break through again.

I think they can make a Sweet 16 run..if they some how can avoid teams better than them.

What is great about this team is we have 3 players that if they have a good game we can win. Vivi, Peyton, and Maddie.

All of them score in different ways, but thats certainly the core.

Peyton gets the mop up buckets, the drive and kicks- the hustle points- She also can make tough shots. She is vital for stretching the court- she requires a lot of attention. I think her value is understated a lot of the times because she is consistent, always plays tough d- and you know what your going to get. So many games I look up at the scoreboard, don't even know she is on the court half the time and she's got 16-20 pts. You don't see her because she doesn't make bad mistakes- and she also doesn't drop you jaw when she scores, but she does it every night.

But I do agree w/ the statement that Maddie as well as Vivi are the ones that can separate us- because they are capable of the spectacular. They can create their own, and in Maddies case she can create for others as well.

I think that Maddie is really getting better at this role. She hasn't done much the last 3 games but only one of those she wasn't getting herself looks. I think she breaks out of this slump soon, and wrecks havoc.

Vivi has been good in this role since last season, she just also had a slump- But has broken out of it, and that is perfect timing because we are going to need her this next one.

We got the potential to be great. But These three will have to be there on a night to night basis for us to do that- so far its only Peyton that is to that level, but the other two are coming along. I just watched Notre v. Tenn. Theres not doubt in my mind that we could beat both of those teams- Notre Dame was no.6 and Tenn has as much talent as anybody. But Do we believe that? Im not so sure yet. I do believe in this team though- and I think they will figure it out this season.

Let me describe what putting it together would look like to me...

Peyton is Peyton.
Gabbi, is an a intelligent, predominantly pass first guard who hits clutch shots. (dribbles less)
Gioya, makes intelligent decisions, uses her abilities to occasionally playmake- while also having the ability to score a lot quickly (dribbles way less)
Vivi is a top 5 post player ever at OU
Maddie is the reincarnation of Stacey Dales.

The bench gives us good minutes.

I think that everyone can reach these levels by the end of the season.

Let me describe what putting it together would look like to me...

Peyton is Peyton.
Gabbi, is an a intelligent, predominantly pass first guard who hits clutch shots. (dribbles less)
Gioya, makes intelligent decisions, uses her abilities to occasionally playmake- while also having the ability to score a lot quickly (dribbles way less)
Vivi is a top 5 post player ever at OU
Maddie is the reincarnation of Stacey Dales.

The bench gives us good minutes.

I think that everyone can reach these levels by the end of the season.

I agree but I think what has made us better since conference season (except WVU) is team defense! We've really upped the pressure on teams and taken them out of comfort zone. I think the reason we can do this is because of deep bench (at least defensively). If we can keep up defensive intensity and create some turnovers that will help to generate offense when shooting is off.

Back