What to expect from Capel next year?

Expecting the Sweet 16 every season will lead to some disappointments. Will we have a shot at the Sweet 16 every season? Probably. But upsets do happen and OU will participate in being upset in the tournament as well.

That's why they are called upsets. You get disappointed after them but you shouldn't allow that to alter your expectations. I guarantee you Jeff Capel expects to be in at least the Sweet 16 every year.

Expecting the Sweet 16 every season will lead to some disappointments. Will we have a shot at the Sweet 16 every season? Probably. But upsets do happen and OU will participate in being upset in the tournament as well.

I think that should be the goal of the OU progam. Make the Sweet 16 virtually every season. Obviously there will be years when things don't go as planned. However, if OU is consistently in the Sweet 16, Final Four appearances will happen.

I think that should be the goal of the OU progam. Make the Sweet 16 virtually every season. Obviously there will be years when things don't go as planned. However, if OU is consistently in the Sweet 16, Final Four appearances will happen.

I agree and its a level that I think we can get to as long as this guy stays :jcapel

I agree and its a level that I think we can get to as long as this guy stays :jcapel

I personally think it is a level that OU can attain with virtually any coach. The missing element in the past has been fan support more than lack of coaching or leadership. Sampson pretty much got OU to that point but then he started having problems with transfers. Tubbs was pretty much at that point until the AD punished everyone for the sins of the football team. Capel appears to be taking OU to that point. I am a Capel fan but I personally believe OU basketball is bigger than Capel. I think OU is fortunate to have Jeff Capel but I think Jeff Capel is even more fortunate to have the OU job. (please don't take this as disrespect towards Jeff Capel).

When Tubbs left the fans panicked. However, he was replaced by a young Sampson and OU kept on competing. When Sampson left some were worried but Sampson was replaced by Capel and but for one season, OU was fine and is truly loaded with talent. My point is that if Jeff Capel were to leave, I think OU would find another good coach and be just fine. I certainly hope Jeff Capel stays but the last 30 years have really established OU as a basketball power.

I agree and its a level that I think we can get to as long as this guy stays

I agree. Jeff has done a great job increasing the expectations level of the OU fans. Before Jeff arrived on the scene, MOST OU fans were content if the Sooners made it into the NCAA tournament. Today, most OU fans would be disappointed with anything less than a Sweet 16 appearance. Jeff deserves credit for that.

I think we will be a Sweet 16 team.

How many times in our history have we had multiple McDonald's All Americans on the team? Yes, we lost a great player, but we will still have more talent than almost every year out of the last 10 or 12 years.

Also, people are underestimating how much effect having a true PG will have. Amazing that we were as good as we were last year with only one perimeter player capable of beating his man off the dribble. I expect the offense to run much more smoothly with TMG.

How many times in our history have we had multiple McDonald's All Americans on the team? Yes, we lost a great player, but we will still have more talent than almost every year out of the last 10 or 12 years.

Also, people are underestimating how much effect having a true PG will have. Amazing that we were as good as we were last year with only one perimeter player capable of beating his man off the dribble. I expect the offense to run much more smoothly with TMG.

Great points and I agree. I'm expecting top 4 finish in the Big 12 and Sweet 16 possibly an Elite 8 depending on Pattillo.

Last year was a little misleading considering we were without Blake for our two biggest games of the year. Had Blake played I think we would have won both games and won the Big 12 regular season title and who knows how our momentum would have been then. Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game.

I don't think a top 4 finish and a Sweet 16 appearance is too far of a stretch next year. The talent is there, I expect us too start slow as the team gets a feel for one another but I expect us to improve greatly as the season goes on. I expect WW to blow it up and TMG and Tiny will have big impacts as newcomers.

Last year was a little misleading considering we were without Blake for our two biggest games of the year. Had Blake played I think we would have won both games and won the Big 12 regular season title and who knows how our momentum would have been then. Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game.

I don't think a top 4 finish and a Sweet 16 appearance is too far of a stretch next year. The talent is there, I expect us too start slow as the team gets a feel for one another but I expect us to improve greatly as the season goes on. I expect WW to blow it up and TMG and Tiny will have big impacts as newcomers.
Not to mention we avoid the red hot Heels in the Elite 8.

It is not just the McD's All Americans. The entire line-up is pretty darn talented. Starters will probably be Willie Warren (McD), TMG (McD), Tiny (McD), Crocker (Top 100), Pattillo (Juco AA).

The bench will likely have four Top 100 players in Willis, Pledger, Fitzgerald and Wright. I challenge any hard core OU fan to go back over the last 30 years and show me a roster that had 4 Top 100 high school players not in the starting line-up. Honestly, many teams over the 30s years will not have more than 4 Top 100 players on the roster.

The three least highly regarded high school players on the team are Cade Davis, Orlondon Allen and Hardrick. Davis is clearly a Big XII level contributer. He has put up double figures in multiple Big XII games coming off the bench. Allen also demonstrated he can contribute at a Big XII level by working himself into more significant pt by the end of the season. I don't know what Hardrick will do but I think he will be a nice addition to OU's team.

Back