What to expect with Kruger's recruiting: A fans' guide

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
There are a few things that I have gleaned from following Kruger's recent UNLV team, his work with the Sooners thus far, and in talking to a couple of recruiting insiders regarding the Kruger staff and their recruiting tactics.

1) Character matters - a lot. This staff tries to bring in good people that care about helping the community, being good teammates and getting more out of going to college than just playing basketball.

2) Kruger and staff won't play the "grey" game. If you see a guy like Dominic Woodson dropping OU right before a visit, or the quick drop-off between OU and Stevie Clark, it is likely because Lon refused to walk the walk with those wanting handouts whether it be players, families, AAU coaches, agents. There is a reason why Kruger's name is spotless - Oklahoma won't be playing the game.

3) It appears that our coaches don't hand out scholarships like candy to 100s of recruits and see what sticks. I do think that Lon works very hard on building relationships early with kids (especially local kids) but I don't see the mass offer approach used by several Big 12 coaches.

4) Kruger will attempt to truly fill needs and achieve a big picture recruiting scheme. I think Booker was a good example of that.

5) The staff will red-shirt guys in order to help with #4 and to try to improve that player's skills. We have a really cohesive and talented staff - Steve Henson is great at skill development and thus if a guy sits out a year then he has a great chance to get better.

6) The staff will take D1 transfers. See number 5 as to why. Kruger has a great rep as a guy who can help guys get a "second chance" after transferring. It has already proven fruitful with M'Baye and Spangler coming into the program. Props to Capel for getting Osby via that route.

As a result of these 6 items, we as fans are probably not going to see a lot of burger boys, 1-and-done type of guys with Kruger as the coach. Oklahoma is not a blue blood program so those that fit criteria 1 and 2 won't probably come here. Our best bet of getting 5 star recruits without character flaws or shady circles will be local guys with whom Kruger and staff have built a great relationship (I'm hoping Shake Milton might be that type as I think that kid is going to be a star...). I also think #6 (transfers) might be another route that the program lands some of those types of kids.

Rather, I think we will see a lot of 3 to 4 year players that Kruger can build with over the long haul. I think Hield and Hornbeak are great examples. Expect a lot of fringe Rivals 100 guys. The good news is that this staff can develop talent and if we have a roster full of those type of guys then we will have a chance to be very successful in today's college basketball landscape and also be consistently good.

Just my thoughts...

Our talent level will be similar to where it was under Sampson and what OState usually had under Eddie Sutton.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with building a program like this, nothing. In fact I'm glad we are back to that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with building a program like this, nothing. In fact I'm glad we are back to that.

I agree with you. Its the only sustainable way for Oklahoma to be consistenly good imo as the JUCO system seems to have dried up.

I actually think our program will thrive under it.

To your point about redshirting players, Coach has mentioned he always wants to have 15 players so he can rotate 3 full teams in practice. I think this speaks to his ability to get reps for guys and develop young players. He is a program builder and the best way to do that is with 3-4 year guys, especially if they have redshirted and been through multiple offseasons in this system. You establish a base mentality, identity, and work ethic and those kind of things get passed down by the players.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Its the only sustainable way for Oklahoma to be consistenly good imo as the JUCO system seems to have dried up.

I actually think our program will thrive under it.

Also, the best OU teams had stars who were Oklahoma HS players: Wayman, Stacey, BG. (2002 was the exception but Ere was an ex-Oklahoma kid but wasn't on the level of the other guys mentioned; maybe Stacey as far as rankings but Stacey had something you can't teach: height).

So, when the state of Oklahoma has those special players, mix them in with who else we have on scholarship and maybe a special (final 4) season, or 2, can come.

I'm glad that LK doesn't play the game that some play in recruiting.

I remember reading the Derick Rose story when he was at Kentucky with his "Handler" being at Lexington the entire time Rose was at UK.

OU played that game under JC and it was disastrous. I like solid players that are solid people. You can have basketball success and success off the court as well. It won't mean many Final Fours but the program can and will succeed under LK.

I'm glad that LK doesn't play the game that some play in recruiting.

I remember reading the Derick Rose story when he was at Kentucky with his "Handler" being at Lexington the entire time Rose was at UK.

OU played that game under JC and it was disastrous. I like solid players that are solid people. You can have basketball success and success off the court as well. It won't mean many Final Fours but the program can and will succeed under LK.

Rose played for Calipari at Memphis

Last edited:
Great post, great thread. I remember feeling like JC was trying to recruit like a big time "wheel and deal" program, and feeling like it wasn't working. LK is building a program in a way that a fan like me can be proud of - honestly. And like BOB says, doing things this way, when a stud Okie HS player comes along, like they always do, the player and the family will know there's a stand up guy running a clean program in Norman, with the experience and staff to make them a better player. And if they are dirty or "new school" or whatever you want to call it, and want a paycheck for mom or the AAU coach or whoever, they will know not to ever bother with Lon. Just the way I like it.

Thank you again for coming Coach. We needed you.

Pretty much agree with the OP.

I do think LK will land us a really good recruit eventually. Maybe something like a top 50 kid, in the next 2-3 years. I don't think our fans realize how close we were on Smart, and even guys like Randle/Shephard(sp). Eventually, he is going to land one of them. And coupled with the great base he'll already have, we'll have a chance to be a player on the national stage again at that point.

Agree.

Now if we can get a new arena and better fanbase (pipedream I know) but then look out.

Agree.

Now if we can get a new arena and better fanbase (pipedream I know) but then look out.

There is nothing wrong with LNC. Tech has a brand new arena and look where they are now. Hasn't helped them a bit.

A nicer arena doesn't make you better, the LNC is fine for basketball. The place gets loud when fans actually cheer. The problem is getting butts in the seats. But that will take care of itself as this team gets better.

There is nothing wrong with LNC. Tech has a brand new arena and look where they are now. Hasn't helped them a bit.

I expect them to do a major renovation in time to make it more basketball friendly but you are right. When filled, it is as tough as any arena in the conference.

I expect them to do a major renovation in time to make it more basketball friendly but you are right. When filled, it is as tough as any arena in the conference.

What else can be done? I don't see them doing anything more unless they totally gut the inside and make the seats come to the floor like Texas did with the Frank Erwin Center, which was like the LNC before they spent a boatload of money (which we may not have).

I would like to see them cover the top level seats and have everyone sit in the lower bowl for the sparsely attended non-con games.

Thanks for the info BT. Although, I think some OU fans sell OU short on who we can get. Even though Lon doesn't pay recruits like other schools, OU should be able to get top level recruits. OU has the name, even though we aren't a "Basketball Blueblood", and lots more tradition in BBall than alot of people give it credit for. I expect Lon to year after year get better and better recruits. Yeah we need butts in the seats but winning and scheduling around the Thunder should take care of that to a large extent. If in fact, though, college basketball recruiting has digressed into the type of sliminess to where Lon can't compete, then why can't he start blowing the whistle on people ala Eddie and Shawn Sutton? It seems to be widely accepted that OSU and Baylor's coaches cheat at recruiting. Why do other schools allow it, if it is in fact happening? I don't understand...

There is so much talent all around that you don't have to rely on top 25 guys to become a consistently really good winner, coaching and stability are more important in college bball right now.

Thanks for the info BT. Although, I think some OU fans sell OU short on who we can get. Even though Lon doesn't pay recruits like other schools, OU should be able to get top level recruits. OU has the name, even though we aren't a "Basketball Blueblood", and lots more tradition in BBall than alot of people give it credit for. I expect Lon to year after year get better and better recruits. Yeah we need butts in the seats but winning and scheduling around the Thunder should take care of that to a large extent. If in fact, though, college basketball recruiting has digressed into the type of sliminess to where Lon can't compete, then why can't he start blowing the whistle on people ala Eddie and Shawn Sutton? It seems to be widely accepted that OSU and Baylor's coaches cheat at recruiting. Why do other schools allow it, if it is in fact happening? I don't understand...

Probably because there is a big difference between knowing it and proving it.

Back