Where the season goes from here...

92grad

Reaction score
Last night's game could be one of those "springboard" type games for our boys. Before seeing where it might take us, a few quick comments about the game.

First, for anyone NOT named UT or KU, road wins in the conference are going to be tough to come by (which isn't any big revelation, but thought I'd point out the obvious). The win was good, but at this point, we're clearly (a) still not a tournament team, and (b) still in the lower half of the B12, IMO. What I did like last night, with the exception of a few times I saw WW pout and loaf, was that the team really played with heart, played hard and hustled. At times, WW even showed some heart (like diving on the floor in OT). Despite the hustle, there was still alot of low BB IQ play as well...i.e. like WW throwing up ill-advised 3s early in the shot clock with the lead, turning it over WAY too many times, and shooting 50% from the FT line. The bad shots will come from youth, but a guard oriented team should not turn the ball over this much, and should be shooting closer to 80% than 50% from the line. We win going away if we can make FTs. If Willie can get his head right with ball going forward, we can be a big spoiler in the B12, but @ this point, I still think we're closer the the Iowa States, Nebraskas, and Techs of the conference than the Kansas States, A&Ms, and Missouris of the conference. I think our talent is probably closer to the latter, but our "team" isn't. Unfortunately, that's a reflection on Capel, and is why he's gotten a fairly low grade from me thus far this season...which sucks because I really like him.

While there's more talented players on this team, my favorite player is without question ...Cade Davis. That guy brings his lunch pail to every game and gets after it. Loose balls, steals, values the ball, leadership, hustle, taking charges...basically the glue of the team. When he occasionally heats up from downtown, he's clearly our MVP, and might be even when he doesn't hit a single trey...like last night. He won't get the headlines, but he plays really smart and hard. Looked like some of the other players were playing more Cade-like ball last night. Maybe (fingers crossed), he's starting to rub off on others.

Here's how I see the rest of our season. We're 10-6 right now without really any marquee wins out of conference. We have anywhere from 15-18 games remaining (including B12 tournament). I see our season going one of 3 ways.

Scenario 1 (ceiling):
Players/coaches use last night as a springboard to play together, play hard, and get their act together. We go 9-5 through the remainder of the regular season conference schedule with a couple of marquee wins. Win a game in the B12 tournament to get to the semis, and lose to either KU or UT. Finish 20-12 (10-6), become a bubble team, and get in based on the strength of the B12. Capel would get a B+ grade in this scenario. This season is viewed as a rebuilding year due to the youth of the team, and next season we're back in the top 3rd of the conference.

Scenario 2 (most likely):
Players use last night as a springboard to play together, play hard, and get their act together, but the conference is just too tough. We go 7-7 through the remainder of the regular season conference schedule. Win a game in the B12 tournament, but lose to a Mizzou, OSU, Baylor, A&M type in the quarterfinals. Finish 18-14 and get an NIT bid, but advance pretty deep as our players are starting to gel. Capel would get a C for the season in this scenario. His inability to get the team to be cohesive early in the season is the downfall. Next season becomes a make or break year for Capel.

Scenario 3 (downside):
Players continue to be "me-first" type players (despite the win last night). Conference play spirals downward, and we go 5-9 the rest of the way to finish 15-15. Anything short of winning the B12 tournament = no post season play. Capel gets an F grade for the season and is immediately on the hot seat.

Hoping for Scenario 1, expecting Scenario 2, and will be PISSED if Scenario 3 comes to fruition!

I think that's a pretty good write-up. Let's see what happens Saturday against Missouri. If we pull that one off, we'll have a shot at AM in College Station, as the Aggies will be coming off road games against KSU and UT. We're also the 3rd game in 7 days for the Aggies, so maybe we catch a break there...

I've said all along these first 6 or so games in the Big 12 are huge for us. That Baylor game was definitely the toughest in this first stretch run. If we get on a roll...who knows what can happen.

After watch us get 6 bench points at home and winning because their best player was out for most of the 2nd 1/2, I'd say forget 1, maybe 2 and more than likely 3.

I don't see how he'd get a C if we're talking about the whole season. C is average. We were in the top-fifteen to start the season and we're talking NIT here.

But, if we're talking about where we are now and where we'd end up, going far in the NIT seems well above C.

I don't see how he'd get a C if we're talking about the whole season. C is average. We were in the top-fifteen to start the season and we're talking NIT here.

But, if we're talking about where we are now and where we'd end up, going far in the NIT seems well above C.

I agree about the , but I adjusted my expectations now that I realize what this team really is. I think Capel deserves a "D" at this point...maybe even an "F". If he can get the team to play hard and with heart the rest of the way and go 8-8 in conference, I'd give him a "C" for the season based on my adjusted expectations. Probably should have clarified that upfront.

If we don't win another game, Capel will not be on the hot seat. Joe loves the guy, as well he should. We are lucky to have him. Anyone can have a bad year, we will normally be very good with Capel.

Back