Why?

It was in Capel's contract.

Quit acting like a wimp. Play whoever, wherever, whenever.
If we lose, we lose.

I believe that it was the agreement made for them playing in the All College last year...Now that I think about it, it might have been part of JC's buy-out clause...

Regardless, it's a damned if you damned if you don't scenario for sure...It should be good for the growth of the club though...

Quit acting like a wimp. Play whoever, wherever, whenever.
If we lose, we lose.

This argument, to me, has been fleshed out and confirmed by the football team. Schedule BYU, originally a home game, in Dallas and a Miami game away and the result is two losses. Meanwhile, Texas schedules a bunch of patsies and they're wimpin' to the national championship game. When you are Pat Hill at Fresno State, you've got to play anyone, anywhere to get the recognition. This should NOT be the mentality when you are OU, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

Why are we playing this game? Makes zero sense. Gain nothing if we win

You actually gain the experience that a bunch of hot shot players that don't play defense well and don't out work their opponents can/will lose to anyone. That is a good lesson even if it is tough to take.

This argument, to me, has been fleshed out and confirmed by the football team. Schedule BYU, originally a home game, in Dallas and a Miami game away and the result is two losses. Meanwhile, Texas schedules a bunch of patsies and they're wimpin' to the national championship game. When you are Pat Hill at Fresno State, you've got to play anyone, anywhere to get the recognition. This should NOT be the mentality when you are OU, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

This is college basketball we are talking about. You know a sport with a true championship. Playing these sorts of games is actually very good even if you lose. The team learns a lot and finds out how hard it is to win on the road.

You actually gain the experience that a bunch of hot shot players that don't play defense well and don't out work their opponents can/will lose to anyone. That is a good lesson even if it is tough to take.

Agree. Now that the guys know they HAVE to play defense, hopefully they make an effort in practice to get better at it.

LMAO. What if UT had lost one? Or what if if another team that played a tough schedule went undefeated (other than UF OR Bama)? Then UT would be on the outside looking in, and it WOULD be the fault of the easy schedule.

Wow! A lot of football guys here with apparently ZERO knowledge of bball scheduling. You are actually penalized in college bball if you only plays the crap teams. The NCAA selection committee uses the SOS as a main part of their selection and seeding. Every year when you see teams with like 25+ wins sitting at home and missing the dance, its because they didn't play anybody. When they ask the coaches about it, they say " I guess we need to schedule tougher games".

I think it was the perfect opponent at the perfect time. Lots to learn from that game.

In college basketball, everyone... even OU... has to prove themselves.

Tonight our young guys got leveled off so to speak. If they didn't know before they should know now. It takes a lot of work to be successful in this league. We love that you were one of the best players in the nation and you chose Oklahoma, but this is the real deal. By the way for those who think we should play a soft schedule. This is Oklahoma Baby! We fear no one. This was a good experience at the right time for our young guys. We will get back on track. If we are going to lose I would rather lose now. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Everyone who has said this is a great learning experience gets the win in this thread. This was a thumping, and you bet your ass it will be time to get to work next practice.

Wow! A lot of football guys here with apparently ZERO knowledge of bball scheduling.

:ez-laugh:

No kidding.

VCU is a good team. It sucks to lose to them, but it certainly won't "hurt" OU come March.

I wish we played more. It's good to get those guys like Pledger and Fitz back home. Hopefully we will play Portland St. next year or Albany.

Why are we playing this game? Makes zero sense. Gain nothing if we win

This was a very smart game to play....i know we had to play it because of the contract, but playing this game will be invaluable to Capels ability to find out about this team and the teams ability to find out about itself...

I think games like this should be scheduled every year, go into a good mid major or high major teams hostile environment and find something out about your team....this isnt football, so a loss wont kill you...

I think games like this should be scheduled every year, go into a good mid major or high major teams hostile environment and find something out about your team....this isnt football, so a loss wont kill you...

Look, I don't care that we played the game, but we shouldn't be going to the east coast to play mid majors.

If we wanna play a Tulsa, or someone like Houston, fine. That has numerous benefits. But lets not pretend that if VCU doesn't make the tournament, that this won't be a bad loss. And they aren't a lock. I'd rather go play a bigger program that has a better chance of being in the Dance year after year. Those are the losses that don't hurt, and can also help the team.

Look, I don't care that we played the game, but we shouldn't be going to the east coast to play mid majors.

If we wanna play a Tulsa, or someone like Houston, fine. That has numerous benefits. But lets not pretend that if VCU doesn't make the tournament, that this won't be a bad loss. And they aren't a lock. I'd rather go play a bigger program that has a better chance of being in the Dance year after year. Those are the losses that don't hurt, and can also help the team.

Well said. I totally agree. If you're going to the East Coast might as well play Duke, UCONN or someone like that from a power conference. Helps for exposure, recruiting, SOS and everything. Instead losing to VCU on the road doesn't help more in a single way.

Back