Willie out indefinitely with Mono

SoonerDan74012

Reaction score
Sooners' Willie Warren has mono, out indefinitely
The Associated Press The Oklahoman Comments Comment on this article0
Published: February 13, 2010

STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — Oklahoma guard Willie Warren is out indefinitely after being diagnosed with mononucleosis.

Warren, the Sooners' leading scorer with a 16.2-point average, did not travel with the team for Saturday's 97-76 loss at Oklahoma State.
Advertisement

Coach Jeff Capel says he doesn't know how long Warren will be out because "it varies for each guy." The viral illness can linger for weeks and even months in some individuals.

Warren received votes for The Associated Press' preseason All-America team and had been considered a potential NBA draft prospect last year before returning for his sophomore season at Oklahoma.

He ranks 10th in the Big 12 in scoring.

Read more: http://newsok.com/sooners-willie-wa...5?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0fSfTnYOG

Get better Willie. :(:(:(:(

Comments like that are not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, is the circus in town today or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
serious question - how contagious is mono? i know it isn't like a cold or the flu, but when you're talking about players running around, hitting each other, taking out mouthpieces, etc...

i ask because scott christopherson for isu has mono and has been playing. not saying he should be prevented from playing, just curious.

serious question - how contagious is mono? i know it isn't like a cold or the flu, but when you're talking about players running around, hitting each other, taking out mouthpieces, etc...

i ask because scott christopherson for isu has mono and has been playing. not saying he should be prevented from playing, just curious.

My daughter had mono when she was a kid and the doctor said it wasn't as contagious as popular myth would make you believe. From what he said, people who catch mono are usually a little bit run down to begin with. My daughter had a mild case and only missed a week of school. Of course, she was 6 years old too!

Here's what WebMD says:

What is mononucleosis?

Mononucleosis, also called "mono," is a common viral illness that can leave you feeling tired and weak for weeks or months. Mono goes away on its own, but lots of rest and good self-care can help you feel better.
What causes mono?

Mono is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). It is most often seen in adolescents and young adults. Children can get the virus, but it often goes unnoticed because their symptoms are mild. Adults usually do not get mono, because they have immunity to the virus.

Mono can be spread through contact with saliva, mucus from the nose and throat, and sometimes tears. Because the virus can be spread through kissing, it has earned the nickname the "kissing disease." If you have mono, you can avoid passing the virus to others by not kissing anyone and by not sharing things like glasses, eating utensils, or toothbrushes.

As soon as you get over mono, your symptoms will go away for good, but you will always carry the virus that caused it. The virus may become active from time to time without causing any symptoms. When the virus is active, it can be spread to others.
What are the symptoms?

The most common symptoms of mono are a high fever, a severe sore throat, swollen glands and tonsils, and weakness and fatigue. Symptoms usually start 4 to 6 weeks after you are exposed to the virus.

Mono can cause the spleen to swell. Severe pain in the upper left part of your belly may mean that your spleen has burst. This is an emergency.
How is mono diagnosed?

Your doctor will ask you questions about your symptoms and examine you. You may also need blood tests to check for signs of mono (monospot test) and the Epstein-Barr virus. Blood tests can also help rule out other causes of your symptoms.
How is it treated?

Usually only self-care is needed for mono.

* Get plenty of rest. You may need bed rest, which could keep you away from school or work for a little while.
* Gargle with salt water or use throat lozenges to soothe your sore throat.
* Take acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) or ibuprofen (such as Advil) to reduce fever and relieve a sore throat and headaches.
* Avoid contact sports and heavy lifting. Your spleen may be enlarged, and impact or straining could cause it to burst.

In severe cases, medicines called corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling of the throat, tonsils, or spleen.

thanks. it sounds like the threat of spreading to other players would be pretty low.

I had mono when I was in 6th or 7th grade and it is horrible... No energy, sick as a dog, can't eat, bad fever, etc.

I wouldn't wish a bad case of mono on my worst enemy. It was as sick as I have ever been.

What else can go wrong for us, Willie is sick, Tiny got in trouble, Pledger and Fitz were caught shoplifting, this year has been horrible.

What else can go wrong for us, Willie is sick, Tiny got in trouble, Pledger and Fitz were caught shoplifting, this year has been horrible.

i'm sorry but Tiny didn't get in trouble. He may or may not be eligible but everyone is going on like Tiny went out this week and did something to get in trouble. Not so.

i'm sorry but Tiny didn't get in trouble. He may or may not be eligible but everyone is going on like Tiny went out this week and did something to get in trouble. Not so.

While this may or may not be true, he certainly hasn't been the poster child for a model teammate. Is he at 2/3 (by now) mini-suspensions by now? I'm still picturing him walking off the FT line...

But back to Willie. Hopefully he can rest up quickly. I would like to see him get to 100%, now that TMG is playing with a lot of confidence.

I had what the doctors said was a pretty serious case of mono when I was a Sr. in HS. I played sick for about a week and went to the doctor. I missed the Tues. and Fri. game the next and came back to "play" the next week. So depending on the severity of his diagnosis he will probably be back to himself by the end of next week. That doesn't mean he will be, but it's possible and maybe it's some REAL rest for his ankle.

I think this explains to me what has been "wrong" with Wilie this season. Mono may have finally been diagnosed, but he has been playing with a lack of energy and excitement all season. He just didn't look "right", and having had mono when I was 20 I can completely understand what he has been going through. He has been feeling run down and weak for awhile now and probably didn't understand why. Now that he knows what it is that has been causing it the only thing he can do to get better is to rest! He must get some solid rest. When I had mono I tried to keep going and ended up getting so sick I was in the hospital for 3 days due to dehydration. I lost 30lbs and I wasn't over weight to begin with. I missed a month of work. Mono can weaken a normal person, I can only imagine how difficult it has been for Willie to be feeling the effects of Mono all this time and not realizing what it was. I hope he gets the rest he needs to get better so he can be the Willie we had last year.

I think this explains to me what has been "wrong" with Wilie this season. Mono may have finally been diagnosed, but he has been playing with a lack of energy and excitement all season. He just didn't look "right", and having had mono when I was 20 I can completely understand what he has been going through. He has been feeling run down and weak for awhile now and probably didn't understand why. Now that he knows what it is that has been causing it the only thing he can do to get better is to rest! He must get some solid rest. When I had mono I tried to keep going and ended up getting so sick I was in the hospital for 3 days due to dehydration. I lost 30lbs and I wasn't over weight to begin with. I missed a month of work. Mono can weaken a normal person, I can only imagine how difficult it has been for Willie to be feeling the effects of Mono all this time and not realizing what it was. I hope he gets the rest he needs to get better so he can be the Willie we had last year.

Great post. It is certainly telling that none of Willie's critics seem to care about this information which shows they are not objective people. Just hating hayseeds.

I had what the doctors said was a pretty serious case of mono when I was a Sr. in HS. I played sick for about a week and went to the doctor. I missed the Tues. and Fri. game the next and came back to "play" the next week. So depending on the severity of his diagnosis he will probably be back to himself by the end of next week. That doesn't mean he will be, but it's possible and maybe it's some REAL rest for his ankle.

I had what my doctor called 'tennis' elbow a few years ago. It was actually caused by bad ergonomics in the set up of my PC and desk at work. I fixed the ergonomic problem, but the 'tennis' elbow hung on for weeks and weeks. My doctor said he could send me to an orthopedist for a cortisone shot but I decided it didn't hurt that bad!

A few weeks later, I had to have kidney surgery and was off work for 5 weeks. Five weeks away from the work computer 'cured' my tennis elbow. Hopefully, Willie overcomes the mono and his ankle heals in record time.

Great post. It is certainly telling that none of Willie's critics seem to care about this information which shows they are not objective people. Just hating hayseeds.

Being one of his neighsayers, will admit that IF he played all year with mono I was wrong. However, if this is a new thing that just came about, then there is no excuse for the lack of effort I have seen from our leader all year. I don't get to go to many games, but the UTEP game was one and it was the first time i can remember being embarrassed for our program. At least when WVU did that to us the had Pittsnogle and Gansey

Back