Wow

OUguy11

Reaction score
All the negativity around here is funny. A bunch of you need to shut up and get behind this team instead of bad mouthing every player when they have a bad game. No wonder Terrence Jones and others don't want to come here. Have a few bad games and the crowd turns on you. I really think something should be done to control this.

Back to my main point though, TMG is one of the best PG's in the country like i said. Be thankful we have him and cherish each year. One more year like this and he's the second coming of DJ Augustine and a sure fire early entry lotto pick. All you people who think he will stay 4 years are fools. Thats all, kiss the baby.

not sure why there would be a lot of negativity. The last 4 games have made me feel the best about this team that I have all season. They've had a few bad breaks ... but that's the way the game goes with newbs. I actually enjoy watching them play right now.

Worst OU team in recent memory, and you think there isn't going to be bad mouthing? Come on. This team was thought to be a top 3-4 team in the conference, and a team that perhaps could make the Sweet 16. Now, we are fighting for an NIT birth.

It isn't like we just lost a heartbreaker to KU, UT, or KSU. We lost to TT. They aren't very good. Neither is their coach.

Worst OU team in recent memory, and you think there isn't going to be bad mouthing? Come on. This team was thought to be a top 3-4 team in the conference, and a team that perhaps could make the Sweet 16. Now, we are fighting for an NIT birth.

It isn't like we just lost a heartbreaker to KU, UT, or KSU. We lost to TT. They aren't very good. Neither is their coach.

You ever think the expectations were a little too high? We only lost 2 NBA players, another 4 year player, and all of the leaders off a pretty good team. And we replaced them with a bunch of highly regarded players, but I'm pretty sure North Carolina is/was struggling the first year they had a roster full of highly regarded freshmen with a ton of people departing.

You ever think the expectations were a little too high? We only lost 2 NBA players, another 4 year player, and all of the leaders off a pretty good team. And we replaced them with a bunch of highly regarded players, but I'm pretty sure North Carolina is/was struggling the first year they had a roster full of highly regarded freshmen with a ton of people departing.

I definitely think that expectations were set too high for this squad, but it wasn't just the fans, the media (with the whole Willie Preseason NPOY and the team's projected #3 finish) bought into the hype as well.

I know that I expected too much. I feel pretty foolish now considering the fact that I should have known how thin we were going to be on the front line. I also fully expected Willie to be shooting a similar % from deep as last year and to have taken the next step as a defender and all around player.

It is interesting because TMG, Crocker, and Cade have all exceeded my preseason expectations thus far. Tiny is about right where I placed him. It is Willie and the fact that neither Ryan nor Orlando has been able to make any kind of consistent impact that has really hurt. I can't believe that Willie hasn't gone off for a 30+ point performance yet. I would have told you that he would have had at least 3 by now....

Then you don't expect anything better next year, right?

Because we'll be just as young:

TMG
WW
Davis
Crocker
Gallon
Wright
Pledger

Those are the guys that play.

We'll lose, most likely, a sophmore (and our best player) in WW, a senior in Tony Crocker, and a senior in Wright. The frosh will become sophs, but will still be underclassmen. And as of now, all incoming players are freshmen.

We'll be just as young, and probably more inexperienced.

Nobody denies that our youth is some of the problem. What some of us, or at least I, am arguing, is that we shouldn't be THIS bad. And that is a direct indication that either Capel can't coach up the young guys, or he is recruiting kids that can't be coached up. One or the other.

Then you don't expect anything better next year, right?

Because we'll be just as young:

TMG
WW
Davis
Crocker
Gallon
Wright
Pledger

Those are the guys that play.

We'll lose, most likely, a sophmore (and our best player) in WW, a senior in Tony Crocker, and a senior in Wright. The frosh will become sophs, but will still be underclassmen. And as of now, all incoming players are freshmen.

We'll be just as young, and probably more inexperienced.

Nobody denies that our youth is some of the problem. What some of us, or at least I, am arguing, is that we shouldn't be THIS bad. And that is a direct indication that either Capel can't coach up the young guys, or he is recruiting kids that can't be coached up. One or the other.

The difference with next year's squad (I hope) is that we will have two bonified second year scoring threats (TMG and Tiny) with several key role players returning (Cade and Pledger), and will again bring in a couple of talented recruits with a JUCO big or three to fill in the gaps (this is the I hope part). Bringing in some JUCOs to fill the gaps will hopefully be the key difference between this year and last year. I also hope that Tiny and TMG will learn from some of Willie's mishaps in terms of how to practice and act on the court when you are THE GUY.

Next year is a must make the dance year for OU, and I really don't think there should be another NIT year for this program unless something really bad happens (ex lose several key players to injury or grades).

OU is too good of a program (despite our piss poor fan support) to be going to two NCAAs and then one NIT (or worse). We should be going to 4-6 NCAAs in a row to every miss of the dance. That is the standard that has been set for this program, and one that think should continue.

To your credit, TU, I will go ahead and agree with you that as we stand right now (with nobody signed and really no idea who Capel will bring in to help in the post), that next year's team doesn't appear much better than this year's team.

Hopefully, :jcapel will work some magic on the recruiting trail and change that feeling.

"It is interesting because TMG, Crocker, and Cade have all exceeded my preseason expectations thus far. Tiny is about right where I placed him. It is Willie and the fact that neither Ryan nor Orlando has been able to make any kind of consistent impact that has really hurt. I can't believe that Willie hasn't gone off for a 30+ point performance yet. I would have told you that he would have had at least 3 by now...."
Exactly my thinking.

To your credit, TU, I will go ahead and agree with you that as we stand right now (with nobody signed and really no idea who Capel will bring in to help in the post), that next year's team doesn't appear much better than this year's team.

Hopefully, :jcapel will work some magic on the recruiting trail and change that feeling.

Yep, that was my point. I really hope we're in on at least two JUCO's, or I'll worry. I like Cam and TJ, but I think both will contribute less next year than TMG and Tiny did this year. Cam is going to have to adjust to must not being the taller, better athlete. Kid has a ton of potential though.

Two JUCO's, and my entire opinion of next year changes.

People want to bury their head in the sand and ignore the fact we just got off probation in March of 2008. That we lost 3 scholarships in that probation that would be juniors and seniors now. That our senior class was decimated when the top rated recruits jumped ship. That the only top recruit we got in those 2 years left for the NBA to be the #1 pick.

Even though recruiting is a 50-50 proposition Capel was supposed to never miss on any recruit given then above limitations. He was supposed to run out and fill all those gaps like a magician.

Of course we will be better next year. But Capel won't be fielding a full team without the probation and recruiting limitations until the year after that.

"It is interesting because TMG, Crocker, and Cade have all exceeded my preseason expectations thus far. Tiny is about right where I placed him. It is Willie and the fact that neither Ryan nor Orlando has been able to make any kind of consistent impact that has really hurt. I can't believe that Willie hasn't gone off for a 30+ point performance yet. I would have told you that he would have had at least 3 by now...."
Exactly my thinking.

The other big thing I didn't see coming was our shooting. In addition to WW, whom you mentioned, both Cade and Pledger are shooting terrible. Not bad, but terrible, from deep.

That we lost 3 scholarships in that probation that would be juniors and seniors now.

That excuse doesn't fly, b/c Capel didn't fill the scholarships that he did have open. If he'd have maxed those out, and we were in this position, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. You can't tell me probation hurt recruiting when we were able to go out and land some of the kids we have.

A bigger problem then probation is kids like Neysmith, Maze, Early, etc. If one or two of those kids are able to contribute, we probably aren't hurting as much as we are.

I agree with BT here, Willie and the bigs besides Tiny have really been a disappointment, not that I expected much out of Big O or Ryan. I figured we'd be about 4-5 in the conference. And really, i think TMG and even Drew and Steve to an extent have surpassed expectations.

And to TU, no I don't think we'll be worse. Granted if we don't get any more recruits then I am scared because our inside game will be horrid, but I think the returning players will be better after a year of playing. A whole season in the Big XII and a full offseason of training allows for a lot of growth.

And to TU, no I don't think we'll be worse. Granted if we don't get any more recruits then I am scared because our inside game will be horrid, but I think the returning players will be better after a year of playing. A whole season in the Big XII and a full offseason of training allows for a lot of growth.

I don't disagree. But those guys are replacing WW, Wright, and Crocker, whom had experience. And the new guys will be every bit as green, and probably a little less talented.

I don't disagree. But those guys are replacing WW, Wright, and Crocker, whom had experience. And the new guys will be every bit as green, and probably a little less talented.

Okay, i'll give you Willie's replacement will be less talented, probably a better fit though if he can play defense and team ball. I would say Crock's replacement will be the most missed but that Pledger/Willis/whoever combined can make us forget about Tony somewhat. I do think that if we get a juco or a good HS player that Ryan will be the easiest to replace. Man if he would just dunk the ball every single time he catches it down there (granted he doesn't do too much of this catching thing).

Back