WVU = Clubber Lang of Big 12/College Basketball??

Maverick008

Reaction score
As I watched the game last night from start to finish it dawned on me who WVU plays/fights like from the opening tip....

They use the persona of a bad a$$ dude that no one would want to meet in a dark alley from the get go to not only intimidate other teams, but refs and fans alike.

They want you to be afraid of them from the start. And don't get me wrong, they don't just pose, they play that way as well. From the time of the opening bell errrr tip they come out swinging. They get in your face, they step on your shoes and they swat everything that comes their way trying to impose their will on you every chance they get. AND if you allow them to by trying to swing back, they will bury you because face it, they are just better at it than you are.

There is no reason that KU won that game last night except that WVU forgot they were playing basketball and not boxing before it was too late. WVU swung and hit multiple times during the fight/first half and yet it wasn't that big of a margin as Jay Bilas kept noting.

Second half started and WVU hit again....then again and again and yet somehow KU hung in there. FINALLY KU figured out that if they made WVU play basketball and stop trying to throw haymakers of their own on every possession they could climb back in.

WVU actually seemed TIRED at about the 6 minute mark. As someone pointed out in another thread, it made no sense that Teddy Allen didn't play except for it being a "teaching" moment from Huggins (for who knows what reason) because the kid has shown that he's definitely good enough to make an impact in a game like that.

It was interesting to note that Holly Rowe said in the huddle late in the game that Huggins looked at Miles and Carter and said they needed to step up because he was out of ideas/things to say?!? Why??? Because the style you preach didn't work? Now you don't know what to do???

Bilas also noted the "attitude" of the WVU players at the under 4 timeout when they were walking to the bench as already looking like they were defeated. The disbelief that the other team didn't succumb to their style was more than they could handle.

The biggest difference between the "almost" comeback from OU and KU's last night was Carter HIT those shots against OU. After that timeout, Carter came out and launched 3 terribly contested 3's trying to tie the game or keep it close and KU finished it off after rebounding each one. In the end, what I saw was the bruiser wore out and the champion fighter stepped up calm, cool and collectively won a fight they had no business winning.....

Side note- Before I get bashed for being a KU fan/homer, I grew up in the Lawrence area and actually can't stand KU and have been an OU fan since I was about 7. I won't say how long ago that was lol This is more about WVU than KU. Also, as another poster said in another thread, I HATED that even one ounce of me was pulling for KU in the end but the "intimidating style" that WVU plays with, along with Huggins and their fans was too much for me to want to pull for. I'm all for KU losing their crown but at this point I'd rather it be Tex Tech if it's not OU.

Last edited:
That was nice to read but I think it would have been easier to just sum it up that if WVU doesn’t turn you over they’re an average team that doesn’t run much of anything offensively.

That was nice to read but I think it would have been easier to just sum it up that if WVU doesn’t turn you over they’re an average team that doesn’t run much of anything offensively.

Thuggins ball, same as it ever was.

Thank you Maverick!

This was the first thread I opened this morning and I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent reading your thoughts on the KU-WVU game. Good stuff.

What is the deal with Teddy Allen? He is octane for the WV offense but his minutes fluctuate wildly.

As I watched the game last night from start to finish it dawned on me who WVU plays/fights like from the opening tip....

They use the persona of a bad a$$ dude that no one would want to meet in a dark alley from the get go to not only intimidate other teams, but refs and fans alike.

They want you to be afraid of them from the start. And don't get me wrong, they don't just pose, they play that way as well. From the time of the opening bell errrr tip they come out swinging. They get in your face, they step on your shoes and they swat everything that comes their way trying to impose their will on you every chance they get. AND if you allow them to by trying to swing back, they will bury you because face it, they are just better at it than you are.

There is no reason that KU won that game last night except that WVU forgot they were playing basketball and not boxing before it was too late. WVU swung and hit multiple times during the fight/first half and yet it wasn't that big of a margin as Jay Bilas kept noting.

Second half started and WVU hit again....then again and again and yet somehow KU hung in there. FINALLY KU figured out that if they made WVU play basketball and stop trying to throw haymakers of their own on every possession they could climb back in.

WVU actually seemed TIRED at about the 6 minute mark. As someone pointed out in another thread, it made no sense that Teddy Allen didn't play except for it being a "teaching" moment from Huggins (for who knows what reason) because the kid has shown that he's definitely good enough to make an impact in a game like that.

It was interesting to note that Holly Rowe said in the huddle late in the game that Huggins looked at Miles and Carter and said they needed to step up because he was out of ideas/things to say?!? Why??? Because the style you preach didn't work? Now you don't know what to do???

Bilas also noted the "attitude" of the WVU players at the under 4 timeout when they were walking to the bench as already looking like they were defeated. The disbelief that the other team didn't succumb to their style was more than they could handle.

The biggest difference between the "almost" comeback from OU and KU's last night was Carter HIT those shots against OU. After that timeout, Carter came out and launched 3 terribly contested 3's trying to tie the game or keep it close and KU finished it off after rebounding each one. In the end, what I saw was the bruiser wore out and the champion fighter stepped up calm, cool and collectively won a fight they had no business winning.....

Side note- Before I get bashed for being a KU fan/homer, I grew up in the Lawrence area and actually can't stand KU and have been an OU fan since I was about 7. I won't say how long ago that was lol This is more about WVU than KU. Also, as another poster said in another thread, I HATED that even one ounce of me was pulling for KU in the end but the "intimidating style" that WVU plays with, along with Huggins and their fans was too much for me to want to pull for. I'm all for KU losing their crown but at this point I'd rather it be Tex Tech if it's not OU.

I didn't read all of this but it needs to be mentioned that it can't qualify as an official comment about Bob Huggins or West Virginia unless the word "thugs" is used and its use must be proportional to the length of the post. I'd say in a post this lengthy, the word "thugs" must be used at least 6 times. Hopefully you've met that requirement.

I didn't read all of this but it needs to be mentioned that it can't qualify as an official comment about Bob Huggins or West Virginia unless the word "thugs" is used and its use must be proportional to the length of the post. I'd say in a post this lengthy, the word "thugs" must be used at least 6 times. Hopefully you've met that requirement.

Nope he never mentioned thugs. He discussed basketball and how the teams played instead.

People said the same about Kelvin Sampson and his OU teams. When your talent level is lower than that of your competition, you have to gain an edge somehow.

Some teams take the air out of the ball, like a Princeton scheme. Others recruit small, less athletic guys that can shoot a ton of 3's... Other teams full court press you the whole time (Mike Anderson)... Some teams run weird zone defenses (Syracuse and Temple under John Chaney)....

WVU, like OU under Sampson, plays a very physical brand of basketball. They recruit tough players who are tough on their opponents and coached by a tough guy to be tough.

That's their thing.... I don't have a problem with it.

WVU, like OU under Sampson, plays a very physical brand of basketball. They recruit tough players who are tough on their opponents and coached by a tough guy to be tough.

That's their thing.... I don't have a problem with it.

The toughness might be the same in principle but the persona is different in my opinion. I'm not sure I ever looked at Kelvin's teams led by a Quannas or Hollis or Ebi etc etc and compared it to the players that Huggins has had lead his teams. Jevon Carter, Danny Fortson and Kenyon Martin just to name a few.

Also, I didn't say I have a problem with playing "tough" at all... :)

Pretty much....and it helps even further if you defend WV with an edge as well. They had all kinds of issues in their halfcourt offense most of the game.

amazing how this whole debate does a 180.

In the days of Najera we were thick in the mire of the "thugball" debate. KU and OSU fans would tell us how bad we were at basketball and we'd support Kelvin's thugball.

It's just a style of basketball. An effective one given recruiting limitations we and other programs faced as "football schools".

I can cheer for it. I can appreciate it. I have appreciated it in the past. But I like what we're doing right now better.

Back