04's Attempt: OU vs Idaho State Recap

I think you could make the same statement about Pledger. Both Pledger and Fitz were recruited based on scoring ability with no thought to whether they could do the other things (play defense, rebound, etc.). I think Lon will be able to get meaningful minutes out of both and both will help us win some games they just won't be as depended upon as last year, IMO.

The difference is that I think Pledger has a chance to be more rounded. And I think you'll see that this year. Capel didn't do him any favors.

As for Fitz, I'm afraid we've seen the best he has to offer. And that is fine, he still adds value, I just don't see much room for improvement.

Time will tell. I have a feeling at the end of the year nobody will be saying that Newell should play over Pledger. Heck, LK didn't even start Newell over Blair, for what that's worth.

The difference is that I think Pledger has a chance to be more rounded. And I think you'll see that this year. Capel didn't do him any favors.

As for Fitz, I'm afraid we've seen the best he has to offer. And that is fine, he still adds value, I just don't see much room for improvement.

Time will tell. I have a feeling at the end of the year nobody will be saying that Newell should play over Pledger. Heck, LK didn't even start Newell over Blair, for what that's worth.

I'd guess the reason for that is because Newell is with Blair you know what you are getting. He won't shoot it much and as long as he doesn't dribble it off his foot, he won't make the mistakes whereas Newell is a little more about taking chances. Blair is more like playing it close to the vest at this point but Newell will get there.

I hope you are right about Pledger.

I hope you are right about Pledger.

I really think I am, but at this points, it's nothing more than an educated guess. At the very least, I think he'll shoot it more consistently, and play marginally better defense.

Isn't it a bit early to declare Fitz a terminal loss in rebounding and Pledger a terminal loss on defense. And Neal a terminal loss at everything. And putting Clark on the bench after one game.

Let's give Kruger a chance to bring the guys along. Defense and rebounding are largely effort issues and Kruger doesn't seem the type to allow lack of effort for very long.

I'm encouraged with Newell. He just needs a little better shot selection.

The best news to me is that we now have offensive schemes that get us open shots. We just didn't hit them very well against Idaho State. If we hit a normal percentage the game is not even close.

Thank you '04...i was hoping we could get another chance...

I know it will be hard to stomach the play this year, but your recaps will make it a little easier to get by till the next game....

I couldnt possibly disagree with that more. Its hard to appreciate the worst rebounding big guy in the nation.

Not going to disagree with you, but it's the same story with guys like Bookout and on. Fitz makes me so f-ing angry cause he has no idea what aggression on the bball court means; refuses to attack the rim or go after a damn rebound.

But yes once guys like him leave the program the negatives always seem to get smaller and the positives bigger so yeah, Fitz is the kind of guy you appreciate more after he's gone.

Back