40 years ago today: who else rushed the court at LNC?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
On Feb. 24, 1979, the OU student body helped celebrate a bit of history on the basketball court. That was the day when OU finished off its first outright league title, and the first of the Big 8 era, with a 65-52 win over second-place Kansas State.

That was only three years removed from a 9-17 season (although that incredibly young and smallish team of '76 finished respectably). The Sooner had actually clinched a tie for the '79 title despite losing at ISU by a point a few days earlier, because Kansas State had also lost the same night. We still needed the win to get the outright title, even after winning in Manhattan (first time since 1947, no less).

I couldn't tell you too many of the game specifics off the top of my head, other than we only scored six points in the first 14 minutes or so. But once our shooters got going, OU dominated the rest of the game. A 13-point win in 1979 was about like winning by 25 now, because there was no shot clock or three-point line. And that team would have killed people from beyond the arc. Big 8 player the year John McCullough, the lone senior starter, could stick it from the top of the key. Terry Stotts, now the coach of the Portland Trailblazers, was deadly from the corner. And guards Raymond Whitley, Aaron Curry and sixth-man Cary Carrabine, had the capability to hit from up to 20 feet.

McCullough was also deadly on the high lobs to big man Al Beal, who was also one of my classmates that semester. Beal later set the conference tournament rebounding mark with 19 in the conference title game win over KU, which had been the heavy favorite to win the league in preseason.

OU had a decent "four-corners" offense to run time, and as the final minute began to expire, many of the students (west side was strictly the general admission "student section") started to slip down to court level. Not one "security person" had the foolish notion to stop the court rush that was coming. And when the clock hit 0:00, the students and players celebrated together on the court.

The spontaneous party also included the net-cutting at each end of the court, and lengthy interviews on the old Big 8 network of the victorious Sooner starters. Some kid who looked like my high school aged brother managed to get his face on TV during the net-cutting :)D).

It's in my video archives, but I do have a VHS tape of that telecast. That was back in the days of Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson on the call each Saturday.

That was also the era of student involvement that may not have been especially organized but was enthusiastic. Pretty much the whole west side of the LNC was first-come, first-served seating for students. Most league games that season were well-supported by the student body.

That school year, OU had the best football team in the country (despite being unable to play for the title after that fluky loss in Lincoln). They actually shared the league title with NU and won the rematch in the Orange Bowl. OU also won the Big 8 in baseball, so that was quite a feat at the time.

But, OU's men's basketball title was very much a surprise to the rest of the league. And we won the tournament as well, despite being written off by "the talking heads" due to having to play in KC with KSU, KU and Missouri. That was almost galling to the Big 8 hoops establishment to have the "football school" crashing their little party.

And that made it all the more enjoyable to be able to celebrate the '79 team's accomplishment 40 years ago to this day, on that LNC floor.

On Feb. 24, 1979, the OU student body helped celebrate a bit of history on the basketball court. That was the day when OU finished off its first outright league title, and the first of the Big 8 era, with a 65-52 win over second-place Kansas State.

That was only three years removed from a 9-17 season (although that incredibly young and smallish team of '76 finished respectably). The Sooner had actually clinched a tie for the '79 title despite losing at ISU by a point a few days earlier, because Kansas State had also lost the same night. We still needed the win to get the outright title, even after winning in Manhattan (first time since 1947, no less).

I couldn't tell you too many of the game specifics off the top of my head, other than we only scored six points in the first 14 minutes or so. But once our shooters got going, OU dominated the rest of the game. A 13-point win in 1979 was about like winning by 25 now, because there was no shot clock or three-point line. And that team would have killed people from beyond the arc. Big 8 player the year John McCullough, the lone senior starter, could stick it from the top of the key. Terry Stotts, now the coach of the Portland Trailblazers, was deadly from the corner. And guards Raymond Whitley, Aaron Curry and sixth-man Cary Carrabine, had the capability to hit from up to 20 feet.

McCullough was also deadly on the high lobs to big man Al Beal, who was also one of my classmates that semester. Beal later set the conference tournament rebounding mark with 19 in the conference title game win over KU, which had been the heavy favorite to win the league in preseason.

OU had a decent "four-corners" offense to run time, and as the final minute began to expire, many of the students (west side was strictly the general admission "student section") started to slip down to court level. Not one "security person" had the foolish notion to stop the court rush that was coming. And when the clock hit 0:00, the students and players celebrated together on the court.

The spontaneous party also included the net-cutting at each end of the court, and lengthy interviews on the old Big 8 network of the victorious Sooner starters. Some kid who looked like my high school aged brother managed to get his face on TV during the net-cutting :)D).

It's in my video archives, but I do have a VHS tape of that telecast. That was back in the days of Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson on the call each Saturday.

That was also the era of student involvement that may not have been especially organized but was enthusiastic. Pretty much the whole west side of the LNC was first-come, first-served seating for students. Most league games that season were well-supported by the student body.

That school year, OU had the best football team in the country (despite being unable to play for the title after that fluky loss in Lincoln). They actually shared the league title with NU and won the rematch in the Orange Bowl. OU also won the Big 8 in baseball, so that was quite a feat at the time.

But, OU's men's basketball title was very much a surprise to the rest of the league. And we won the tournament as well, despite being written off by "the talking heads" due to having to play in KC with KSU, KU and Missouri. That was almost galling to the Big 8 hoops establishment to have the "football school" crashing their little party.

And that made it all the more enjoyable to be able to celebrate the '79 team's accomplishment 40 years ago to this day, on that LNC floor.

I was there but we did not rush the floor. I was 8 years old, LOL.

Great memory! I was there with my father and we watched from the stands. Off the top of your head, you do a great job of describing the times, the event and the team.

Dave Bliss coached OU one more season and went 15-12 (6-8, Big-8), then he moved on to SMU. He reportedly claimed that it would be easier to recruit better players at SMU. Ha! Enter Billy Tubbs.

those Sooners beat Texas in the first round of the NCAA (then 32 teams, I think).....before losing to eventual runner-up Indiana State and some guy named Larry Bird.

i was 12, living in Norman.....went to some games that year. I have a picture of me, John McCullough and Al Beal somewhere.

Last edited:
I was there. What a game and what a day for Sonners hoops!
However, I don’t remember rushing the court.

Great memory! I was there with my father and we watched from the stands. Off the top of your head, you do a great job of describing the times, the event and the team.

Dave Bliss coached OU one more season and went 15-12 (6-8, Big-8), then he moved on to SMU. He reportedly claimed that it would be easier to recruit better players at SMU. Ha! Enter Billy Tubbs.

I was there also. As a matter of fact it was my first game at the LNC.

I remember Bliss saying one of the reasons he took the SMU job was because he was a huge MLB fan and would get to attend Rangers games. It’s been a while but I believe he is a Yankees fan.

those Sooners beat Texas in the first round of the NCAA (then 32 teams, I think).....before losing to eventual runner-up Indiana State and some guy named Larry Bird.

i was 12, living in Norman.....went to some games that year. I have a picture of me, John McCullough and Al Beal somewhere.

Pounded Texas by about 15, I think. Ray "the juice" Whitley had a huge game that day. Then we played Bird and Indiana State and were beaten by about 15 or so.

They wore short shorts.

Loved watching that team. I was a student that year and couldn't wait for the games. And don't forget the chicken!!! I remember Bliss after the game parading around with the chicken mascot and raising his arm in victory because he took a lot of heat over it! Haha!!

I don't think security should allow court rushes but I hope that enough students show up for the KU game that there are a lot of fans for a court rush in the event we can beat them. We've got to have a big turnout for that game. My fear is that it becomes Phog-south on senior night.

I don't think security should allow court rushes but I hope that enough students show up for the KU game that there are a lot of fans for a court rush in the event we can beat them. We've got to have a big turnout for that game. My fear is that it becomes Phog-south on senior night.

It was actually a pretty tame court rush, not like those ones you seen on TV now where people bump into the other team and almost cause a ruckus. I don't think it occurred to anyone at OU to have "security" down there to stop us.

People may not remember the following about those early LNC days:
- it had a hard, rubbery floor (no wooden floor until Tubbs' first year)
- there were no floor level seats like there are now.
- OU wrestling also competed at the LNC. One of the first big events in the arena was a dual win over Iowa in '76.
- speaking of that, a really wild celebration occurred that semester when OU wrestling finally beat OSU to end a 10-year slide, marred by several near-misses and an outright theft (gutless ref in the heavyweight match refused to penalize or DQ the Aggie "heavyweight" for running from Steve Williams the whole match) earlier in the season at Stillwater.
- Imhoff Road didn't go through from Chautauqua, like it does now, so parking for the big games at the LNC was a real beast. It might have been extended west from Jenkins before I graduated in '80, but I can't remember. The baseball park didn't open down there until after I finished up at OU, at least for a year.

It was actually a pretty tame court rush, not like those ones you seen on TV now where people bump into the other team and almost cause a ruckus. I don't think it occurred to anyone at OU to have "security" down there to stop us.

People may not remember the following about those early LNC days:
- it had a hard, rubbery floor (no wooden floor until Tubbs' first year)
- there were no floor level seats like there are now.
- OU wrestling also competed at the LNC. One of the first big events in the arena was a dual win over Iowa in '76.
- speaking of that, a really wild celebration occurred that semester when OU wrestling finally beat OSU to end a 10-year slide, marred by several near-misses and an outright theft (gutless ref in the heavyweight match refused to penalize or DQ the Aggie "heavyweight" for running from Steve Williams the whole match) earlier in the season at Stillwater.
- Imhoff Road didn't go through from Chautauqua, like it does now, so parking for the big games at the LNC was a real beast. It might have been extended west from Jenkins before I graduated in '80, but I can't remember. The baseball park didn't open down there until after I finished up at OU, at least for a year.

I attended Billy Tubbs basketball camp in the mid 80's and we played on the rubbery ("tartan" I think it was called) floor.

The floor level seats were initially those aluminum temp stands behind the goal by the band. That started after Wayman left, around 86 or 87, I think.

L Dale Mitchell opened in the very early 80's. I can remember watching Ray Hayward hit 5 homerun's vs Iowa State in a Sunday DH at LDM. That was probably 1982 or 83, and it was a few years old by then.

One other fun memory from that era, though not from the '79 season, flashed back into my mind the other day. After the OU-Mizzou game of '77, won by OU in an epic comeback in front of the LNC's first sellout crowd, none other than Barry Switzer came by the locker room. He and Bliss had a good laugh when Barry, noting how big basketball had gotten all of a sudden, said jokingly, "Now that will enough of that... (basketball being the "big thing on campus").

There was a story that went around in '80, after Bliss left for SMU, that he was tired of playing second-fiddle to football. But he and former assistant Doug Ash both told me years later that Barry was really good for them to work with when they hosted recruits during football season. I do remember how much Dave followed and loved OU football when he was coaching 560 miles west of Norman in Albuquerque.

Last edited:
There was a story that went around in '80, after Bliss left for SMU, that he was tried of playing second-fiddle to football. But he and former assistant Doug Ash both told me years later that Barry was really good for them to work with when they hosted recruits during football season. I do remember how much Dave followed and loved OU football when he was coaching 560 miles west of Norman in Albuquerque.

Bliss checked out of OU after that great run in '79. He had basically stopped recruiting by then, and underachieved in his last year at OU in '80. Billy Tubbs inherited one good upperclassman (Whitley) and one promising young player (Barnett), a development-type player (Overton) and pretty much nothing else.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Barry was good to Dave and the basketball program. I know Barry and Billy Tubbs stayed good friends through the years because they were at a Duke-North Carolina basketball game together a few years back. I remember Jay Bilas announcing: "Oklahoma's in the house!"

Thanks for the thread. NMSooner. I wasn't at the game in question, but was a high schooler who just started following OU basketball (already entrenched as an OU football fan). Terry Stotts was my first favorite player - and I'll be rooting for Portland in the playoffs since none of the three Sooners who are even in the playoffs will make it out of Round One (nor will my Lakers).

Back