5th foul on Crocker

So I guess all that matters is the foul total at the end of the game? If that's the benchmark, let me ref some games and I promise you OU will win EVERY game I referee, yet I will make sure I call MORE fouls on OU than I do on their opponent. When fouls are called or not called and who they are on can make ALL the difference.

I would love to watch you officiate, sure you would be pretty solid. It only takes about 15+ years of large class high school experience and some lower level college/juco to be picked for Division I. There has to be a good chapter somewhere in your area.

In all seriousness, I agree that the timing matter, reference the second part of my post. Sometimes you get calls at the end of the game, sometimes you don't. Compound that we were playing on the road, the propensity is lower, just how sports in general works. Quit crying, pick yourself up off the ground and move forward....I guarantee Capel isn't making excuses for OU's performance down the stretch with officiating remarks.

Lots of good things tonight, regardless of the "L".

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying that the officiating as a whole was horrendous for both teams, and did NOT decide the game, but for anyone to say Crocker's 5th foul and the phantom foul on Davis's alley oop dunk were not absolutely bogus is ridiculous and delusional.

That 5 second call was crazy. WW created atleast 3 ft of seperation. They were pretty consistantly bad. I have never seen a game called that tight. Seriously, almost every call was horrible on both sides. Esp with Tiny. Then at the end they decided to not call the obvious fouls. Horrendous...OU is a much better team

That 5 second call was crazy. WW created atleast 3 ft of seperation.
Yes, but he needed 6.
NCAA Rulebook said:
Section 13. Closely Guarded
Art. 1. (Men) A player in control in the front court only while holding or dribbling the ball is closely guarded when his opponent is in a guarding stance at a distance not exceeding 6 feet. This distance shall be measured from the forward foot or feet of the defender to the forward foot or feet of the opponent.
Art. 2. (Women) (irrelevant)
Art. 3. After the start of a five-second closely guarded count, in order for a closely guarded violation to occur, there shall be continuous guarding by the same opponent.
Art. 4. When a player is positioned between the player in control of the ball and his or her opponent, who is within 6 feet (men) or 3 feet (women), a closely guarded situation does not exist.
Hate to thump the rule book at you, but someone had to say it. :)

I am not a fan of the foul call as it was crap but given Tony's experience as a Senior and knowing the sitation (already has 4 fouls and the way the refs are calling the game) he shouldn't have tried to reach in like that.

Crap call. The last 1/4 of the game had several crap calls which all went the way of the aggies...

Tony swiped his arm at the ball on the play and hit the other player on the left arm and that is when the whistle was blown. All told, A&M was called for more fouls.

Who got called for more fouls makes absolutely no difference. If atm committed 30 fouls and got called for 19, while OU committed 12 fouls and got called for 17, OU still got screwed. (I didn't look up the foul totals, I'm just illustrating a point). This whole notion that fouls-called totals should be equal is absolutely foolish. Some teams foul much more than other teams, and if they know they can get by with more, they will foul even more. If the game is not called consistently on the "quality" of the foul, the quantity is meaningless.

Yes, but he needed 6.

Hate to thump the rule book at you, but someone had to say it. :)

Never knew the 6 feet rule. It looks like usually when the ball handler creates separation of anykind they reset it. And from toe to toe if might have been 4-5 feet separation. Not sure though b/c I was focused on the arm of the defender b/c apparently to the commentators that is what matters. I think usually that call wouldn't have been made but I guess it was the correct call

Who got called for more fouls makes absolutely no difference. If atm committed 30 fouls and got called for 19, while OU committed 12 fouls and got called for 17, OU still got screwed. (I didn't look up the foul totals, I'm just illustrating a point). This whole notion that fouls-called totals should be equal is absolutely foolish. Some teams foul much more than other teams, and if they know they can get by with more, they will foul even more. If the game is not called consistently on the "quality" of the foul, the quantity is meaningless.

I didn't say they should be "equal." My pointing out that the home team was "called" for more fouls might suggest that the home team also had some calls go against them which might have been seen otherwise if another officiating crew were involved.

I didn't say they should be "equal." My pointing out that the home team was "called" for more fouls might suggest that the home team also had some calls go against them which might have been seen otherwise if another officiating crew were involved.

this is very ture. The refs were horrible on both sides. I have to say though, there were more calls that left me scratching my head that went against us. One that really got me was I think tiny's 4th. The A&M guy simply went around Tiny with little to no contact with Tinys hands in the air and they still called it. Very questionable.

Even with the horrible officiating we still had a chance in the end! Make your FTs and we win!

Right, and those "mights" mean more if you only look at the numbers. Numbers are what you used to make your point.

Other people who watched the game believe that the officiating was unbalanced based upon actually seeing the fouls called, reviewing them repeatedly, etc. If you want to argue the calls based upon what you actually saw, it makes sense. But, to quote the numbers and the fact that one team was called for more, really doesn't advance an argument.

Right, and those "mights" mean more if you only look at the numbers. Numbers are what you used to make your point.

Other people who watched the game believe that the officiating was unbalanced based upon actually seeing the fouls called, reviewing them repeatedly, etc. If you want to argue the calls based upon what you actually saw, it makes sense. But, to quote the numbers and the fact that one team was called for more, really doesn't advance an argument.

In this case "other people" refers to Sooner fans "only." I dont believe that either of us have yet to hear the perspective from the real other side and I don't much care too for I'm sure they are trying to advance the same mind set.

In this case "other people" refers to Sooner fans "only." I dont believe that either of us have yet to hear the perspective from the real other side and I don't much care too for I'm sure they are trying to advance the same mind set.

There's an linked article above titled "Notebook:Foul Play" from the Tulsa World. It wasn't just Sooner fans that noticed.

Some definitely are. Some definitely aren't.

constant fouls? like how warren and gallon fouled out and we were in the bonus within ten minutes in the first half? lol

a lot of people watched it on TV where it is a lot easier to see the fouls because of the angles and replays. If anyone got jobbed by the refs it was OU early.

We almost NEVER get "home cooking" at Reed...maybe the refs are finally getting the memo.

All of those were from one thread on Texags.com, so in this case, it doesn't refer to Sooner fans "only". I "heard" the perspective last night during the game, btw, so you were wrong in that belief, as well.

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying that the officiating as a whole was horrendous for both teams, and did NOT decide the game, but for anyone to say Crocker's 5th foul and the phantom foul on Davis's alley oop dunk were not absolutely bogus is ridiculous and delusional.

yes, i totally forgot about the phantom call on Davis alley oop. i thought ou called a timeout until they came back from break and davis was at the line. who was that foul suppose to be on? anyone know?

The funny no-call was on one of our late misses when one of our guards literally went flying face-first into the pylon and the ref looked down at him sliding across the floor and did nothing. A dude doesn't fly face first into the pylon (on his side) if he wasn't shoved...he was standing RIGHT THERE. How does he not see it.

A&M was consistenly fouling our guys so its safe to say they would have gotten called for a similar amount of calls. On the flip side OU was being called for breathing too hard and it was one of the most inconsistently called games I've ever witnessed.

I think this thread has set a record for the number of times one poster (sheepdogs) can get owned in a single thread. LOL!!!

I think this thread has set a record for the number of times one poster (sheepdogs) can get owned in a single thread. LOL!!!

Who really gives a dang and you must not peruse this board often to think such. Thanks for being a realist or whatever you call it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back