'72 Olympics (basketball) screw-job = one of the worst...

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/05/add-another-entry-to-the-pantheon-of-we-wuz-robbed.html

....According to some guys at USA Today.

If you're old enough to remember that game, or have seen the HBO documentary about it, you'll get mad all over again just for being reminded of it. The head idiot, in charge of FIBA (the governing body for international hoops), was suspected to having said that it would be a good thing for the Americans to lose - so he made sure it would happen.

How is oregon-OU onside kick not on their? The biggest Screw Job ever.

OU-Oregon is my pick. How a whole group of refs make a call without even trying to find the ball is beyond anything that can be considered rational.

Anyone happen to know the title of that HBO documentary, sounds like its worth watching.

OU-Oregon is my pick. How a whole group of refs make a call without even trying to find the ball is beyond anything that can be considered rational.

Anyone happen to know the title of that HBO documentary, sounds like its worth watching.

I think it was called "0:03 From Victory."

I had just started the 9th grade when that game was played. It was terribly confusing to watch, until the Commies got their third and final try at "winning" the game. That became the first Olympics where "eastern bloc" officiating / judging became a problem. It really became a problem in '88 when Roy Jones got a boxing gold just stolen from him - but still got voted the outstanding boxer of the tournament (by those who knew what a theft that one was).

jones pummeled that korean dude. they had to guide him to the medal stand because both his eyes were swollen shut.

jones pummeled that korean dude. they had to guide him to the medal stand because both his eyes were swollen shut.

I even read about the "judging" in that Jones match. Jones' win was so obvious that one judge (I think from Egypt) admitted to feeling sorry for the Korean guy for getting hammered so badly in his home country - so he gave him the vote. But, the other two guys who swung the decision were from "Eastern bloc" countries and were all too happy to complete the screw-job.

By the way, the guy who helped steal the '72 Olympic gold, from the USA, was an Aussie named Jones. I think he's deceased now, and I hope he's watching re-runs of the fiasco down in Hades.

Back