A big key for Willie's offensive game

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
is for him to hit an early three or two in the first half. Something that I had pointed out to me that now totally makes sense is that Willie Warren is truly an Outside/In player, and not the reverse. It sounds strange at first because he is so good at finishing in heavy traffic and making off balance midrange shots and runners, but it is the truth.

If he can hit a shot from deep and get his opponent to have to respect his range (like he did against Arizona) then it really opens up the lane for him to be able to penetrate.

If you will notice during the first two games in Alaska and at VCU, defenses were sagging on him enough to be able to quickly double anytime he got into the paint. Willie is not the best at dribbling in heavy traffic (bounces the ball too high and too far from his body) so anytime he is going against more than one guy in the lane, he is at a risk of getting stripped by the off/help defender.

By hitting an outside shot or two, he not only gains confidence, but also causes his defender to play up on him (and we are talking way up due to where he normally takes his threes), and he is then able to beat his man off the dribble, blow by him, and then take on the help defender one-on-one instead of facing the double team in the congested paint.

Just something that someone pointed out to me, and something that makes a lot of sense when you break down the tape.

So the moral of the story is for Willie to hit some outside shots early in the game like he did against Arizona! :)

Agreed. I really worry about our team offense if we aren't hitting from deep. Luckily, we have alot of weapons from out there, so hopefully there aren't many days we can't find SOMEBODY to hit a few shots.

BIGTIME this is a great point. I would also say that our team has taken this identity. We are a perimeter team right now that looks for our outside shots to fall, so that we can get it inside. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

This is so true, I was actually thinking the same thing today while talking with a co-worker about the AZ game. After Willie hit that deep 3 he was nearly unstoppable.

Someone said something like this about TMG, and it rings true for both. When a guard who has the skills to get into the lane consistently is hitting from the outside, his offensive game become nearly unguard-able. And they both know this. Once again, the potential is mouth watering. Team defense and team rebounding are the only things that stand in the way of this teams incredible potential.

is for him to hit an early three or two in the first half. Something that I had pointed out to me that now totally makes sense is that Willie Warren is truly an Outside/In player, and not the reverse. It sounds strange at first because he is so good at finishing in heavy traffic and making off balance midrange shots and runners, but it is the truth.

If he can hit a shot from deep and get his opponent to have to respect his range (like he did against Arizona) then it really opens up the lane for him to be able to penetrate.

If you will notice during the first two games in Alaska and at VCU, defenses were sagging on him enough to be able to quickly double anytime he got into the paint. Willie is not the best at dribbling in heavy traffic (bounces the ball too high and too far from his body) so anytime he is going against more than one guy in the lane, he is at a risk of getting stripped by the off/help defender.

By hitting an outside shot or two, he not only gains confidence, but also causes his defender to play up on him (and we are talking way up due to where he normally takes his threes), and he is then able to beat his man off the dribble, blow by him, and then take on the help defender one-on-one instead of facing the double team in the congested paint.

Just something that someone pointed out to me, and something that makes a lot of sense when you break down the tape.

So the moral of the story is for Willie to hit some outside shots early in the game like he did against Arizona! :)

I think hitting the first shot is a huge boost for any player. Watch Crocker, if he hits his first shot he will probably score a bunch of points. AJ was the same way. Willie is going to score no matter what but if he hits his first 3 he is going to score 25. He is just more comfortable taking shots and everything falls into place.

Pledger seems similar. He needs that first bucket (he seems to be able to pick it up even if he has missed a couple.

Back