A couple of game thoughts

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Well fellas, there were no two ways about it in that this team needed this win. Had to have it. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I came away from that game for the first time this season feeling like that we had out-toughed and put in the effort needed to beat a good team. Do you wonder why OSU shot so poorly from the field? After all, we have had teams like Gonzaga and Baylor put on absolute shooting clinics against us all season. The reason was that we closed out their shooters and actually had five guys fighting through screens. Our zone actually looked like a real zone. Our man actually had switching and proper help defense. In short, it was a welcomed sight!

- I can't tell you how happy TMG and Tiny looked as they proudly ran through our makeshift tunnel of students in celebration of their first Bedlam win. I can only imagine how down they have felt during the past month and a half, and to see a huge smile on TMG's face as he ran through a chorus of students shouting "TMG, TMG, TMG" at the top of their lungs made old BT get pretty emotional. Tiny too was beaming when he came out to the chanting of his name by the 30 or so Capelables that stayed 45 minutes after the game was over. Really was great to see those guys get to experience that moment. :) Let's hope that it leaves them both hungry for more.

- It is time to give Willie Warren props. Guys, I know that his ball handling and some of his decisions on offense were pretty dreadful tonight, but by golly, Willie Warren actually got after people of defense tonight. He closed out, fought through screens, hustled back (most of the time), and even dove on the floor. We can still win games when he struggles on offense. That was evident tonight. It is when he doesn't play hard on defense that really hurts a team like Oklahoma that is forced to rely on loose man and zone.

Way to be, Willie!

- Thought the nearly 10,300 (there might of been 500 aggies in there tonight) absolutely rocked it during the second half and OT. My fellow Capelables were on fire tonight, and the general student section was on par with the best that I have ever seen at an OU game. I hope the fans will be back on Saturday....

- TMG continues to impress me. And while Ray Penn seems like he will be a really solid player, there is no doubt in my mind that TMG is superior in many ways. I thought he played pretty solid defense tonight against one of the quickest guys in our conference. His extra gear on that drive where he finished with a reverse lay-up was truely a sight to behold. And his three point shooting was as clutch as it comes.

- Back to Penn, love this quote: “It was war. Coach told us, ‘When you come to Bedlam it’s an all-out war.’ I got a busted lip, blood all over my leg, but it was fun. If I had to do it again I would.”

He really seems like a good kid that plays the game the right way. He and TMG are going to have some epic battles for the next four years.

- Tiny Gallon deserves to touch the ball everytime in the halfcourt. Period. I realize that he missed the two bunnies tonight (would have given him 17 points), but good things usually happen when our guys try and get him the ball. He will be an absolute monster if he stays at OU for 3 years.

- Cade and Crock just continue to do all of the little things right for this club. I honestly didn't think that Cade would be able to effectively D up Anderson, but I thought he did a really admirable job on a great player. Crocker has really added the ability to drive and finish this season and it has made him a much more complete player.

- If we had lost in OT, then I would have been pretty crushed. It was like our crowd just wouldn't let our guys stay down. Again, major props to the crowd.

Boomer Sooner!

-BT

Last edited:
Great recap BT- Congrats on the win. The effort on defense was strong. Davis and Crocker did some great things that don't show up in the stat sheet- closing out on shooters, keeping balls alive, etc... Totally agree with you that Gallon should get touches almost every time down on offense. When he doesn't get those touches, he tends to lose focus like every big man would.

Really happy for Capel to get that win.

Penn vs TMG is going to be very fun to watch for the next 4 seasons.

Also Big Time you forgot one of the Capelables greatest momenets, Longar Longar . . .

Yeah, Penn is better than OSU lets him be. He needs to be their second option on the perimeter and they need to keep Page on the bench when he's on the floor.

Yeah, Penn is better than OSU lets him be. He needs to be their second option on the perimeter and they need to keep Page on the bench when he's on the floor.

My favorite part about his game is how fearless he is driving to the basket.

- TMG continues to impress me. And while Ray Penn seems like he will be a really solid player, there is no doubt in my mind that TMG is superior in many ways. I thought he played pretty solid defense tonight against one of the quickest guys in our conference. His extra gear on that drive where he finished with a reverse lay-up was truely a sight to behold. And his three point shooting was as clutch as it comes.

Agree 100%. That is obvious unless you have a pancake on your head. TMG is pretty darn good and played extremely well last night. 4 years of TMG at the point is going to be great to watch.

Great recap BT- Congrats on the win. The effort on defense was strong. Davis and Crocker did some great things that don't show up in the stat sheet- closing out on shooters, keeping balls alive, etc... Totally agree with you that Gallon should get touches almost every time down on offense. When he doesn't get those touches, he tends to lose focus like every big man would.

Really happy for Capel to get that win.

Thanks for the response, DFW. It is looking more and more like you will win our friendly bet regarding Baylor this season, and that I will have to keep my thoughts on Scott Drew to myself, which really won't be too hard because you are a solid fan and a solid dude.

Well
- It is time to give Willie Warren props. Guys, I know that his ball handling and some of his decisions on offense were pretty dreadful tonight, but by golly, Willie Warren actually got after people of defense tonight. He closed out, fought through screens, hustled back (most of the time), and even dove on the floor. We can still win games when he struggles on offense. That was evident tonight. It is when he doesn't play hard on defense that really hurts a team like Oklahoma that is forced to rely on loose man and zone.

Have to agree, Willie is the definition of a Catch-22 right now. He's going to set us back in some areas - occasional shot selection, turnovers - but he came through at the end. In those types of situations when we need something going to the basket, we're going to have to call his number. When our offense was frazzled toward the end of regulation, what were our options? WW is the only one who can handle the rock in that situation.

I can live with the TO's and 25 ft three pointers if he just gives me some fire on the defensive end...that type of play is contagious. Hopefully he keeps it going because he is our catalyst, Cade making hustle plays all over the floor isn't going to get this team going, we expect that from him. WW is the figurehead and face of this program currently, his actions are magnified.

Have to agree, Willie is the definition of a Catch-22 right now. He's going to set us back in some areas - occasional shot selection, turnovers - but he came through at the end. In those types of situations when we need something going to the basket, we're going to have to call his number. When our offense was frazzled toward the end of regulation, what were our options? WW is the only one who can handle the rock in that situation.

I can live with the TO's and 25 ft three pointers if he just gives me some fire on the defensive end...that type of play is contagious. Hopefully he keeps it going because he is our catalyst, Cade making hustle plays all over the floor isn't going to get this team going, we expect that from him. WW is the figurehead and face of this program currently, his actions are magnified.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Whether it is fair or not for Willie, it is reality. That is what happens when two burger boys come to Oklahoma because of one player. If Willie keeps it up then this team will be really tough to beat at home and may steal a road game or two.

Want to add I can live with the jacks EXCEPT that horrendous pull-up 3 with less than a minute to go and a full shot clock. That was awful.

Want to add I can live with the jacks EXCEPT that horrendous pull-up 3 with less than a minute to go and a full shot clock. That was awful.

haha I agree. I about threw my red wig onto the court at that moment. :)

Excellent post BigTime...

Where Tiny is best, and it showed last night, was when they rotate the ball around the perimeter and he sealed his man for the lob or post entry...even though he missed a couple of easy ones i really liked seeing that...shows he is maturing as a post player, that is one of the toughest things for post players to master...

I will say a mixture of this and allowing Willie to take his man in isolation is our best offense right now...I'm becoming less and less a fan of the pick and roll with Willie because teams have watched enough tape to see he doesnt make the best decisions when they trap that play...showed last night...

TMG is awesome...Penn was impressive as well...Penn put pressure on him all game full court (which is amazing in itself) and TMG never flenched...love him knocking down huge jumpshots as well...

Pledger...i was hoping one of those would drop, he is just too good a shooter to keep in his slump...i know he doesnt get many minutes but he has to knock down 1 or 2 shots a game in his limited playing time or he is not helping the team...

Cade...cant stand his shot, and i dont every really feel like any will drop against good teams but you have to give it up to him...man he plays with such passion...i love it...

Thanks for the response, DFW. It is looking more and more like you will win our friendly bet regarding Baylor this season, and that I will have to keep my thoughts on Scott Drew to myself, which really won't be too hard because you are a solid fan and a solid dude.

BT- wasn't the bet that you had to sing the praises on Scott Drew's coaching abilities if they went 9-7 in conference :) Just messing with you. I'll take what I can get. I will win you over to the Scott Drew camp or at least die trying!

BT,
I always like your posts, even if I don't always agree. This time I agree with many of your comments, but it seems like you have lowered your expectations for this team and some of your comments are overstated imho.

I loved that I players seemed to hungry. I love that Tiny worked hard and is starting (still a long way to go) to learn to play like a Big Man vs. an outside only player.

I like the way TMG has improved.
WW frustrates me. He is so talented, but I expect him to play hard all the time. I hope this win is what helps him to step up and make good decisions and play hard all the time.

I am happy for the team and particularly for Capel. You can see his frustration. I am happy for the win. The crowd was super.

BT,
I always like your posts, even if I don't always agree. This time I agree with many of your comments, but it seems like you have lowered your expectations for this team and some of your comments are overstated imho.

I loved that I players seemed to hungry. I love that Tiny worked hard and is starting (still a long way to go) to learn to play like a Big Man vs. an outside only player.

I like the way TMG has improved.
WW frustrates me. He is so talented, but I expect him to play hard all the time. I hope this win is what helps him to step up and make good decisions and play hard all the time.

I am happy for the team and particularly for Capel. You can see his frustration. I am happy for the win. The crowd was super.

Appreciate your kind words, Cruncher. I am still really proud of our crowd two days after the game.

As for my expectations, you are right, I did lower them. I felt like I needed to at this point.

Back