a couple things...

elmocarp

Reaction score
First of all, I want to say that it was great to see the new team out on the court last night. That said, I think we should all be reminded that it was just one game, and an exhibition game at that, so the picture we got last night is just a blurry image of what to expect from this team come conference play.

I agree with many of the people that are excited about the freshmen. Whatever you think of the level of talent they have or what their roles will be on the team, it was clear that they are all capable contributors who will be exciting to watch for a while.

One thing that sort of didn't sit well with me was the approach they had to the game. Maybe it was just the nerves of all the newcomers or maybe Capel had them just kind of go out and play like it was a pick up game, but I never felt like they were doing a good job of running offense to get good shots. They moved the ball fairly well, but it never really felt like they had a purpose on offense. It just really looked like an AAU game to me. I am assuming that Capel just wanted to let them play loose and see what they could do out there, but it will certainly be near the top of my list of things to watch for when we take on the Mount next week.

Along those lines, I was very disappointed in how Tiny was utilized. I've watched a whole lot of him play, and I've had the impression that he is a guy who could be used on the block, in the high post, in the screen game, and even in post ups out to 12-15 feet on the floor. But I didn't see them attempting to feature him much. He had 10 points, and I know that at least 6 of those points came off of offensive rebounds and putbacks. He was 5-6 from the floor...it just seems to me that he could stand to get more touches in scoring positions. Again...its just one game and an exhibition at that, but its something to watch going forward.

The team depth is going to be a strength, to be sure. If Orlando can contribute like we expect, then I actually like our rotation up front with those 4 guys. Then you take WW, TMG, Crock, Cade and Pledge and I really like the 5 guys we can use on the perimeter. That's a 9-man rotation of guys that I expect to be pretty confident in. Should be fun to see the different lineups Capel throws out there and if they can play at a pace that really takes advantage of that depth.

All in all, it was just really fun to see all these guys in uniform and getting it done. Can't wait until next Saturday...

Very nice write-up. There was some slop ball through the first half, but the team cleaned it up in the second half, which was good to see. What excited me the most was seeing the freshman play at the level they did; the potential of this team is staggering. Factor in what we already have committed for next year and I don't think we've seen the future of OU basketball look this bright since the mid 80's. What an awesome time to be Sooner fan this is going to be!! :woot

Back