A Statistical Peek Into OUr Return to Relevance

Sooner04

Reaction score
When it felt like the entire OU BBall world was slowly slipping away during the darkest days of Capel I began to tabulate an increasingly bizarre set of statistics that showed just how BAD we'd become.

It started here.
Continued on here.
Really began to fester here.
And the turd coagulated here.

But the worm has obviously turned. I thought it was time to return to the box scores and press guides to see what all has changed. And away we go.

The Sooners have not trailed inside the Lloyd Noble Center since the 14:28 mark of the Kansas game, a run of 194 MINUTES and 28 SECONDS.

The Sooners played 360 minutes of action within the Lloyd Noble Center in conference play. They only trailed for 45 minutes and 35 seconds in those games, which means the Sooners either led or were tied 87.34% of the time.

From 2010 through 2012, the Sooners averaged 63.6 points a game in conference play. In 2013, the Sooners have so far averaged 73.9 points in the league.

From 2010 through 2012, OU shot 50% or better in conference play three times. In 2013, OU has already equaled or eclipsed the 50% mark SIX times.

From 2010 through 2012, OU topped 80 points five times in conference play. In 2013, OU has already passed 80 SIX times.

From 2010 through 2012, the Sooners tasted victory in road conference play three times. The Sooners already have THREE road victories in 2013.

From 2010 through 2012, in games played away from Norman, OU's record was 8-39. In 2013, OU's record in those games is 8-7.

You're reading here the ramblings of a devout optimist, one who'll look for the smallest of silver-ish linings when it comes to OU Basketball, and even I'm stunned at this turnaround. I'm absolutely shocked at how far we've come. And it all comes down to one man, Lon Kruger. Words cannot express my appreciation for Coach Kruger and the job he's done in turning this program around.

I thought we were sunk. I thought the administration had checked out, and that those fans who were on the fence had been permanently lost to the Thunder. Even though attendance has been mediocre (6,043 tickets scanned on average for the 13 games at the LNC) the product placed on the floor has been incredibly pleasing. They move the ball well, they shoot it well, and they get after it defensively. Those are the key ingredients to a good basketball team and, you know, we've got a darn good basketball team. We've got young guys playing big minutes and old horses taking reduced roles, and the pieces have fit. The ball played by this group over the last month is the best seen since January and February of 2009.

At the completion of non-conference play, I took a peak at how our RPI and SOS stacked up and made a vow to my buddies. I told them it would take 11 wins in Big 12 play to make the NCAA Tournament and that, for every one of those wins, I'd chug a 16 oz. Brewmaster Can of Blue Moon. With last night's win, I'm convinced we're in the NCAA Tournament. Rejoice, Sooner fans, and treasure this season because success like this isn't some right of passage, it can be swept away at a moment's notice and who knows when it may, if ever, return.

So here's to you, Lon Kruger. Thank you so much for returning our program to respectability and relevance.

BlueMoon_zps3648dd22.jpg

Onward and upward!

Thank you for your time.

Hey 04, I was sitting about 5 rows behind you last night.

When it felt like the entire OU BBall world was slowly slipping away during the darkest days of Capel I began to tabulate an increasingly bizarre set of statistics that showed just how BAD we'd become.

It started here.
Continued on here.

But the worm has obviously turned. I thought it was time to return to the box scores and press guides to see what all has changed. And away we go.

The Sooners have not trailed inside the Lloyd Noble Center since the 14:28 mark of the Kansas game, a run of 194 MINUTES and 28 SECONDS.

The Sooners played 360 minutes of action within the Lloyd Noble Center in conference play. They only trailed for 45 minutes and 35 seconds in those games, which means the Sooners either led or were tied 87.34% of the time.

From 2010 through 2012, the Sooners averaged 63.6 points a game in conference play. In 2013, the Sooners have so far averaged 73.9 points in the league.

From 2010 through 2012, OU shot 50% or better in conference play three times. In 2013, OU has already equaled or eclipsed the 50% mark SIX times.

From 2010 through 2012, OU topped 80 points five times in conference play. In 2013, OU has already passed 80 SIX times.

From 2010 through 2012, the Sooners tasted victory in road conference play three times. The Sooners already have THREE road victories in 2013.

From 2010 through 2012, in games played away from Norman, OU's record was 8-39. In 2013, OU's record in those games is 8-7.

You're reading here the ramblings of a devout optimist, one who'll look for the smallest of silver-ish linings when it comes to OU Basketball, and even I'm stunned at this turnaround. I'm absolutely shocked at how far we've come. And it all comes down to one man, Lon Kruger. Words cannot express my appreciation for Coach Kruger and the job he's done in turning this program around.

I thought we were sunk. I thought the administration had checked out, and that those fans who were on the fence had been permanently lost to the Thunder. Even though attendance has been mediocre (6,043 tickets scanned on average for the 13 games at the LNC) the product placed on the floor has been incredibly pleasing. They move the ball well, they shoot it well, and they get after it defensively. Those are the key ingredients to a good basketball team and, you know, we've got a darn good basketball team. We've got young guys playing big minutes and old horses taking reduced roles, and the pieces have fit. The ball played by this group over the last month is the best seen since January and February of 2009.

At the completion of non-conference play, I took a peak at how our RPI and SOS stacked up and made a vow to my buddies. I told them it would take 11 wins in Big 12 play to make the NCAA Tournament and that, for every one of those wins, I'd chug a 16 oz. Brewmaster Can of Blue Moon. With last night's win, I'm convinced we're in the NCAA Tournament. Rejoice, Sooner fans, and treasure this season because success like this isn't some right of passage, it can be swept away at a moment's notice and who knows when it may, if ever, return.

So here's to you, Lon Kruger. Thank you so much for returning our program to respectability and relevance.

BlueMoon_zps3648dd22.jpg

Onward and upward!

Thank you for your time.

You may be the only guy on this board who can beat me in the ugly department, 04. ;) But your point? Well, you nailed it.

Great post -- I'm right there with you, '04. These are good times!

Cool post.
I was always optimistic too. I am not suprised by the turn around though. Basketball doesn't take much to change. One good coach and 2-3 good players will make a pretty good team.

It started here.
Continued on here.

BlueMoon_zps3648dd22.jpg

Onward and upward!

Thank you for your time.

Great post.

However, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. What's the pain in chugging a Blue Moon? You should have said you would chug Pearl, the Beast, black derby, or at least Keystone or Busch. :chestram2:

Good stuff. BTW, pretty sure I saw you rushing the court after the Kansas win. Well, there was a guy wearing that same Padres hat in the middle of the madness.

+1

Good post. Thanks Lon Kruger. Also, thanks to Joe C. for not hiring another Capel type.

This thread is why we need a like button for posts.

Fantastic post! I love looking at basketball stats and this scratches that itch. I am not all that surprised by the turnaround because of the coach we hired and the poise of these players. I am so proud of the team this year.

Back