A way too early look at the Big 12.

Sam

Reaction score
Had some free time recently and threw together this prediction at how the Big 12 will shake out.

Mainly looked at ESPN for stats and combined what I remembered of the players for the predictions. I feel crazy for putting a certain team so high but I guess I'm just biased. Also there is a team I dropped a lot that I think will end up higher but looking at their current roster I dont see how they're going to be competitive.

Now here are my way too early sure to be wrong Big 12 predictions for 2011-12

Whats yours?

1. Kansas
Top Returning Players
Thomas Robinson, 6'8 Forward, Junior, 7.6 points, 60% FG, 6.4 rebounds, 14.6 minutes
Tyshawn Taylor, 6'3 Guard, Senior, 9.3 points, 48% FG, 38% 3, 4.6 assists, 27.1 minutes
Elijah Johnson, 6'4 Guard, Junior, 3.4 points, 1.8 assists, 13.7 minutes

Key Losses
Marcus Morris, 6'8 Forward, 17.2 points, 57% FG, 34% 3, 7.6 rebounds, 28.3 minutes
Markieff Morris, 6'8 Forward, 13.6 points, 59% FG, 42% 3, 8.3 rebounds, 24.4 minutes
Tyrel Reed, 6'3 Guard, 9.7 points, 38% 3, 4.6 assists
Jason Selby, 6'2 Guard, 7.9 points, 2.2 assists, 20.4 minutes
Brady Morningstar, 6'3 Guard, 7.1 points, 41% 3, 3.3 assits, 27.6 minutes

Top Newcomers
Ben McLemore, 6'5 Guard, Top 40 nationally, great shooter
Naadir Thapre, 5'11 Point Guard, Top 100 nationally
Braeden Anderson, 6'8 Post, 3 star
Jamari Traylor, 6'7 Post, 3 star

If any other team in the conference lost as much as they just did, its questionable if they're even in the top half. But this is Kansas and they have ran the Big 12 lately similar to how OU runs it in football. Combine recent success with what is expected to be a down year in conference and they're still the favorite in my mind.

Guys like Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor should be two of the top players in the conference. Eliajh Johnson and Jeff Whitey were two highly thought of players out of high school, who should produce in expanded roles.

Based on recent history Kansas is just one of those schools you don't bet against till somebody proves them wrong.

2. Missouri
Top Returning Players

Marcus Denmon, 6'3 Guard, Senior, 16.9 points, 50% FG, 45% 3, 3.5 rebounds, 30.4 minutes
Laurence Bowers, 6'8 Forward, Senior, 11.6 points, 53% FG, 6.1 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 24.8 minutes
Ricardho Ratliffe, 6'8 Forward, Senior, 10.6 points, 57% FG, 6.0 rebounds, 24.5 minutes
Michael Dixon, 6'1 Guard, Junior, 10.3 points, 3.5 assists, 1.8 steals, 22.3 minutes
Kim English, 6'6 Guard, Senior, 10.0 points, 3.1 rebounds 25.6 minutes

Key Losses
Justin Safford, 6'9 Forward, 6.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 17.2 minutes

Top Newcomers
(Missouri has no newcomers)

If Mike Anderson was coming back they would likely be first in the conference but I'm not sold on Haith. They're going to be deep across the board with Safford as the only player graduating and all other key contributors back in Columbia.

Marcus Demon will be a preseason favorite for conference player of the year, as he is one of the top shooters and scorers returning to the Big 12. It will be interesting to see how this team adjusts after being defined by their 40 minutes of hell brand.

3. Baylor
Top Returning Players

Perry Jones, 6'11 Center, Sophomore, 13.9 points, 55% FG, 7.2 rebounds, 33.9 minutes
Quincy Acy, 6'7 Forward, Senior, 12.4 points, 54% FG, 7.6 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 31 minutes
Anthony Jones, 6'10 Forward, Senior, 8.5 points, 52% FG, 5.3 rebounds, 29.8 minutes
A.J. Walton, 6'1 Guard, Junior, 7.9 points, 4.7 assists, 2.3 steals, 33 minutes

Key Losses
Lace Dunn, 6'4 Shooting Guard, 19.5 points, 36% 3, 3.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 35.3 minutes

Top Newcomers
Quincy Miller, 6'10 Forward, Top 10 nation wide player, great scorer
Deuce Bello, 6'5 Guard, Top 60 nation wide player, will be one of the top athletes in the Big 12
Pierre Jackson, 5'10 Guard, Top 5 Juco Player in the nation
Gary Franklin, 6'2 Guard, averaged 8.2 points in 25.7 minutes in 13 games as a freshman for California. Will be eligible in January.

On paper this is the most talented team in the conference. Their frontline is massive, athletic and talented. They also have two players in Quincy Miller and Perry Jones who could become the top player in the conference and go on to be top 5 draft picks.

The bad news is games aren't played on paper so Baylor right now is unknown, especially with missing out on the NCAA tournament with a talented team this past year. So, can Scott Drew mold this bunch into a Big 12 champion?

A lot of it depends on newcomers as Baylor will be relaying on Pierre Jackson to provide an upgrade at point and Quincy Miller to be an impact freshman after missing most of his senior year with a torn ACL.

The biggest question mark is shooting. Will guards Franklin, Bello and Jackson or even forward Miller be able to open of the lane with their shooting ability?

4. Texas A&M
Top Returning Players

Khris Middleton, 6'7 Forward, Junior, 14.7 points, 45% FG, 5.2 rebounds, 29.6 minutes
David Loubeau, 6'8 Forward, Senior, 11.8 points, 50% FG, 5 rebounds 26.4 minutes
Dash Harris, 6'1 Guard, Senior, 4.2 points, 3.1 assists, 27.5 minutes
Naji Hibbert, 6'6 Guard, Junior, 5.2 points, 2.3 rebounds, 20.0 minutes

Key Losses
B.J. Holmes, 5'11 Guard, 9.7 points, 41% 3, 2.8 rebounds, 3.2 rebounds, 1.3 steals, 30.3 minutes
Nathan Walkup, 6'7 Forward, 9.4 points, 50% FG, 5.5 rebounds. 24.3 minutes

Top Newcomers
Jamal Branch, 6'3 Guard, 4 star point guard
Jordan Green, 6'4 Guard, 3 star shooting guard, elite level athlete type

If Turgeon was coming back I might have them ahead of Baylor due to coaching but withot knowing much about Kennedy I'm going to be conservative in my guess on them.

Middleton and Loubeau are a great one-two punch to build around. Branch and Green are two freshman who will provide quality depth at the guard spots and they still have enough big bodies (Kourtney Roberson, Ray Turner and Keith Davis) to be tough down low. I cant see them challenging for a title but I expect them to be a tough team that few will want to play, especially in Reed Arena.

5. Oklahoma St
Top Returning Players

Keiton Page, 5'9 Guard, Senior, 13.2 points, 30% 3, 1.7 assists, 34.1 minutes
J.P Olukemi, 6'7 Forward, Senior, 11.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 23.8 minutes
Markel Brown, 6'3 Guard, Sophomore, 6.4 points, 2.5 rebounds, 21.6 minutes
Reger Dowell, 6'1 guard, Junior, 5.2 points, 1.2 assists, 13.6 minute
s

Key Losses
Marshall Moses, 6'7 Forward, 14.1 points, 56% FG, 7.3 rebounders, 29.6 minutes
Matt Pilgrim, 6'8 Forward, 5.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.3 steals, 20.0 minutes
Darrell Williams, 6'8 Forward, 7.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 21.0 minutes
Ray Penn, 5'10 Guard, 5.9 points, 2.1 assists, 22.0 minutes

Top Newcomers
Lebryan Nash, 6'8 Forward, Top 10 Nationally, Top player in Texas this year, great combination of size and athletic ability, can play inside or outside
Cezar Guerreo, 5'11 Point Guard, Top 100 National type, great scoring point guard at the high school level
Phil Jurick, 6'10 Center, Great Juco Center, question marks on his motor but looks to at least be a good rebounder and shot blocker

They're in a similar position as Baylor. They have a lot of talent on paper and are reliant on a freshman newcomer to have a huge impact. They do not have a lot of true size but athletic 3/4s like Nash and Olukemi mask some of the issues if they can play up tempo.

The other question is at point guard, based on last year its hard to see Page running point again as he seems to be his best as a spot up shooter. Will Gulley be healthy enough to run the point? Can Dowell build on the end to last season and progress? Or do they go with the flashy freshman in Cezar who looks to be the best shooting option of the three?

The biggest wildcard is Nash, he has the talent to be one of the top players in the conference and be similar Michael Beasley at KSU recently. On the flip side there is enough talk about his attitude that you wonder if its a sure thing. If Nash comes to play and he gets help they're a very dangerous team.

6. Oklahoma (Note, I feel borderline insane for putting them this high but when I look at the 4 rosters below OU, I cant make a big argument against OU at the 6 spot. Like I said these are the Way too early, sure to be wrong rankings)
Top Returning Players
Andrew Fitzgerald, 6'7 Forward, Junior, 12.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.1 steals, 30.8 minutes
Steven Pledger, 6'4 Guard, Junior, 10.9 points, 35% 3, 2.1 rebounds, 30.0 minutes
Cameron Clark, 6'6 Guard, Sophomore, 9.3 points, 37% 3, 4.5 rebounds, 33.6 minutes
Carl Blair, 6'3 Point Guard, Junior, 7.5 points, 4.7 assists, 27.6 minutes

Key Losses
Cade Davis, 6'4 Guard, 14.2 points, 36% 3, 5.0 rebounds, 34.9 minutes

Top Newcomers
Romero Osby, 6'7 Forward, Transfer, poor numbers at Mississippi St, but great reports from Norman about habits and skills
Sam Grooms, 6'1 Point Guard, Top 5 national juice player. True point guard
Casey Aren't, 6'10 Center, Juco center who looks to be a big body

The biggest change on campus is the coaching staff, Lon Kruger has a much better and longer resume than Jeff Capel has. So an expected upgrade in play on the court is expected. Add in that according to their recruiting rankings (for whatever they're worth at this stage), OU has the talent to compete now. Pledger and Fitzgerald were both top 100 national players out of high school, then Clark and Osby were top 50 types.

The key for the Sooners to make a jump up in a water downed Big 12 is the play of Romero Osby and Sam Grooms. Both are highly touted but unknown qualities, that hopefully provide boasts at the point guard and in the paint. If both even come close to the hype that is starting to build around them OU has the chance to make noise.

7. Iowa St
Top Returning Players

Scott Christopherson, 6'3 Guard, Senior, 13.7 points, 44% 3, 3.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 35.8 minutes
Melvin Ejim, 6'6 Forward, Sophomore, 10.3 points, 6.7 rebounds 1.2 steals, 27.8 minutes
Bubu Palo, 6'1 Guard, Sophomore, 3.4 points, 2.4 rebounds, 14.1 minutes

Key Losses
Diante Garrett, 6'4 Point Guard, 17.3 points, 6.1 assists, 3.7 rebounds, 1.7 steals, 36.7 minutes
Jake Anderson, 6'2 Guard, 12.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 33.3 minutes
Jamie Vanderbeken, 6'11 Forward, 11.1 points, 43% 3, 5.5 rebounds, 28.7 minutes
Calvin Godfrey, 6'8 Forward, 5.7 points, 55% FG, 5.4 rebounds, 20.1 minutes

Top Newcomers
Rocye White, 6'8 Forward, Was a top 40 national kid out of high school, booted from Minnesota before playing, sat out last year as a redshirt
Chris Babb, 6'5 Guard, Averaged 9.3 points, 3.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, as a sophomore at Penn St in 2009-10
Chris Allen, 6'3 Guard, Averaged, 8.2 points, 39% 3, 2.8 rebounds, 2.0 assists as a junior at Michigan St in 2009-10
Tyrus McGee, 6'2 Guard, One of the better juco prospects, good shooter
Tavon Sledge, 5'9 Point Guard, 3 star
Percy Gibson, 6'8 PF, 3 star

Even though they lost 3 key seniors to graduation and recently booted a promising freshman post, they will be one of the most experienced teams in the conference thanks to transfers. Babb and Allen are two players who have logged big minutes in the Big 10 and should give them a good back court when paired with returning sharp shooter Christopherson and incoming junior collge long range bomber McGee.

The Cyclones will be a little small and the key to the season is Royce White. Its been over 2 years since he's last played competitive basketball after his issues at Minnesota and sitting out a transfer year. If he lives up to his high school rankings then he should be one of the top players in the conference, if not it could be another long season in Ames.

With so many new faces its hard to peg ISU, as like others they could take advantage of a weakened Big 12 and be good, or struggle with so many new additions.

8. Kansas St
Top Returning Players

Jamar Samuels, 6'7 Forward, 8.5 points, 5.4 rebounds, 24.5 minutes
Rodney McGruder, 6'5 Guard, 11.1 points, 41% 3, 5.9 rebounds, 30.6 minutes
Will Spradling, 6'2 Guard, 6'4 points, 37% 3, 1.9 assists 21.9 minutes
Jordan Henriquez-Robets, 7'0 Center, 3.7 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 13.6 minutes

Key Losses
Jacob Pullen, 6'0 Guard, 20.2 points, 38% 3, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals, 32.6 minutes
Curtis Kelly, 6'8 Forward, 10.5 points, 53% FG, 5.5 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 25.4 minutes
Nick Russell, 6'4 Guard, 4.2 points, 1.9 rebounds, 12.2 minutes

Top Newcomers
Jeremy Jones, 6'1 Guard, Juco, good shooter,
Angel Rodriguez, 5'11 Point Guard, 3 star
Thomas Gipson, 6'7 PF, 3 star
Adrian Diaz, 6'11 C, 3 star

Putting the ball in the basket looks to be an issue for the Wildcats next year. Samuels and McGruder are good scorers but I'm not sure if either can be "the man" similar to Pullen last year. Jones looks to be another option to help carry the scoring load.

Expect the Wildcat team to be tough on defense and the players who make it through the season to be willing to run through a wall for Frank but this has the ear marks of a rebuilding year. Of course I wrote off Frank when Beasley and Walker left so who knows.

8. Texas
Top Returning Players

J'Covan Brown, 6'1 Guard, Junior, 10.4 points, 39% 3, 2.1 assists, 21.5 minutes
Alexis Wangmene, 6'7 Forward, Senior, 2.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 9.6 minutes
Clint Chapman, 6'10 Center, Senior, 1.9 points, 1.4 rebounds 5.1 minutes (2009-10, redshirted this year)

Key Losses
Jordan Hamilton, 6'7 Guard, 18.6 points, 39% 3, 7.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 32.2 minutes
Tristan Thompson, 6'8 Forward, 13.1 points, 55% FG, 7.8 rebounds, 2.4 blocks, 30.9 minutes
Gary Johnson, 6'7 Forward, 11.5 points, 6.8 rebounds, 30.3 minutes
Cory Joseph, 6'3 Guard, 10.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 32.4 minutes
Dogus Balbay, 6'1 Guard, 4.1 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 18.8 minutes

Top Newcomers
Myck Kabongo, 6'2 Guard, 5 star point guard
Sheldon McClellan, 6'5 Guard, Top 50-60 national shooting guard
Julien Lewis, 6'3 Guard, Top 75 national shooting guard
Jonathon Holmes, 6'8 Forward, Top 100 national post

I did not realize the massive loses the Longhorns had suffered before I started doing this research. J'Covan Brown is really the only notable player to be coming back. The rest of the roster has limited big 12 experience. I just do not see how they can be that competitive in the Big 12.

Myck Kabongo is the only big time elite recruit coming in. They then have good pieces who should become good 4 year players but not the type to star as freshman for big minutes. Now if DeAndre Daniels is actually a real person and chooses Texas (again) and is in their lineup come this Winter that changes he a lot. He is more of the type impact freshman who can come in an change a program with 12+ a night.

Even if they add Daniels its hard to see such a young team being able to compete in a conference with experienced tournament teams like Mizzou or A&M or even teams just experienced like Oklahoma and Iowa St.

10. Texas Tech
Top Returning Players

Robert Lewandowski, 6'10 Center, Senior, 8.5 points, 55% FG, 4.8 rebounds, 23.5 minutes
Jaye Crockett, 6'7 Forward, Sophomore, 4.8 points, 3.0 rebounds, 13.2 minutes
Javarez Willis, 5'11 Guard, Sophomore, 3.6 points, 1.5 assists, 13.5 minutes

Key Losses
John Roberson, 5'11 Point Guard, 14.1 points, 41% 3, 4.4 assists, 1.1 steals, 35.3 minutes
Mike Singletary, 6'7 Forward, 12.7 points, 5.8 rebounds, 29.3 minutes
Brad Reese, 6'6 Forward, 11.5 points, 37% 3, 4.6 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 28.8 minutes
David Tairu, 6'3 Guard, 10.0 points, 39% 3, 2.8 rebounds, 25.1 minutes
D'walyn Roberts, 6'7 Forward, 6.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 24.7 minutes

Top Newcomers
Toddrick Gotcher, 6'3 Guard, 3 star
Terran Petteway, 6'6 Forward, 3 star
Jordan Tolbert, 6'7 Forward, 3 star
Kevin Wagner, 5'8 Guard, 3 star

They have 9 expected newcomers on scholarship, I'm not sure how its going to work out but I'm guessing that means this is stage 1 of rebuilding Tech's roster.

With all the loses, and random new faces its hard to see BCG making this squad very competitive in the Big 12 this year.

Looks reasonable to me. Coaching and 2/3 new faces should get them up toward the middle of the pack. The over/under on conference wins could be 8 or mayby even 9. By the way. Does anyone know when next season's schedule will be released?

Last edited:
Texas will be much higher than that IMO. As much as they lose, they still return more than many of the teams you have ahead of them and add quite a bit more, as well.

Texas will be much higher than that IMO. As much as they lose, they still return more than many of the teams you have ahead of them and add quite a bit more, as well.
Based on their roster all they return is J'Covan Brown, Alexis Wangmene,Clint Chapman and three walk ons.

How is that more then what other schools return?

Or am I just missing something obvious about their roster?

They lost
1. Jordan Hamilton
2. Tristan Thompson
3. Cory Joseph
4. Dougus Balbay
5. Gary Johnson
6. Matt Hill
7. Jai Lucas

The only team that they're returning more than is Tech.

i think texas picked up ashaolu a couple days back, who should be a big help inside.

You are right on that. My bad. Still think they will be much too talented to finish next to last.

They'll have a short bench, and they're going to be very inexperienced, but they're still extremely talented.

There's also still the possibility that they add Deandre Daniels to the mix, as well (can't really do a ranking until we know what the rosters are going to look like...).

i think texas picked up ashaolu a couple days back, who should be a big help inside.

I can't find confirmation on that, but I did just see that he has them in the four schools he's considering (and there are more opportunities at Texas for him than anywhere else).

Add Ashaolu and Daniels and UT still goes 9 deep with talented players.

Based on their roster all they return is J'Covan Brown, Alexis Wangmene,Clint Chapman and three walk ons.

How is that more then what other schools return?

Or am I just missing something obvious about their roster?

They lost
1. Jordan Hamilton
2. Tristan Thompson
3. Cory Joseph
4. Dougus Balbay
5. Gary Johnson
6. Matt Hill
7. Jai Lucas

The only team that they're returning more than is Tech.

Aren't they also bringing in like, 3 top 50 players or something similiar?

Barnes is a good coach, and his "young guys" typically come in and play well. I bet they finish in the top 5. I don't like Mizzou that high that either.

Barnes is a good coach, and his "young guys" typically come in and play well. I bet they finish in the top 5. I don't like Mizzou that high that either.

If they get Daniels they'll have two top 25 players. They then have 3 guys in the 50-100 range, which usually dont have too much of a great impact as freshmen.

I'll believe Daniels with Texas when he suits up for them in their first game next fall. That guy's recruitment is a mess.

I wouldn't bet on Mizzou finishing second, either. But the reality is with all the losses the conference has seen (from coaches to players to teams), it really is wide open. Four or five teams could legitimately win the conference, and other than Texas Tech (too little talent to turn around quickly), just about anyone could finish anywhere 2-9.

I will say this about Mizzou: a lot of fans feel like the chemistry on last year's team was a major problem last year, and a lot of that was directly related to Anderson and how he handled a few situations (the potential Arkansas job among them, but not the only issue). If Haith can come in and simply get the team all on the same page and playing together (which shouldn't be a huge task, as the players do seem to like each other), I think he can at a minimum match what Anderson did last year, if not fulfill the pre-season promise many saw in Mizzou.

how he handled a few situations (the potential Arkansas job among them, but not the only issue).

giving too many of dixon's minutes to the pg pressey and too many of denmon's minutes to the sg pressey?

Sam- good write up. A couple of comments the way I see it:

If you value returning all-conference or honorable mention all-conference players, it breaks down:

Missouri- Denmon (1st team); Ratliffe (Hon Ment); Bowers (HM)
Texas A&M- Middleton (2nd team); Loubeau (3rd team)
Baylor- Perry Jones (2nd team); Quincy Acy (HM)
Kansas State- Rodney McGruder (3rd team)
Oklahoma- Andrew Fitzgerald (HM)
Iowa State- Scott Christopherson (HM)

Kind of shocking to see so few returning players on the all conference teams. 18 out of the 28 players that were all conference or honorable mention are gone.

Freshmen are overrated every year but you can almost take it to the bank that top 25 in the nation types are going to be impact players in the league. Here's what we have coming in that are top 25 national guys (rivals rankings):

OSU- LeBryan Nash (6)
Baylor- Quincy Miller (7)
Texas or Kansas- DeAndre Daniels (10)
Texas- Myck Kabango (26)

Kansas loses too much to rank them first. Their recruiting has slipped the last few years. Now if they sign Daniels, that will be a game-changer. Without Daniels, they have 3 really good talented players (Robinson, Taylor and Johnson). And a bunch of question marks.

Texas is toast this year unless they sign Daniels. If they sign Daniels, they will be a middle of the pack team.

I believe the league champion will come from Missouri, A&M or Baylor. I see those teams (on paper) as having the most experience, depth and overall talent this year.

I agree with you Sam that Tech will be the worst team in the league. They could be in for a 2-16 type of year. Billy Clyde might surprise but their talent level is significantly below the other teams in the league.

Surprise players:

Baylor: Cory Jefferson (a lot of Ekpe Udoh in him has put on 40 lbs of muscle in the last two years); Brady Heslip (tremendous shooter/ high basketball IQ). I think Heslip could be a compliment to Baylor's talent like Lee Humphrey was to Florida's teams.

A&M: Roberson (will give them a strong 1-2 inside punch with Loubeau); Elston Turner (I could see lots of bench time for Dash Harris as season progresses- will need his offense).

Missouri: Ratliffe (more traditional system probably benefits him the most- good low post game).

Kansas: Johnson (was a top 25 player who had to wait his turn)

OSU: Brown (breakout year will be the 4th guy defenses focus on- Page/Olekumi/Nash)

KSU: Samuels (has all the tools)

OU: Osby (much needed size down low); Pledger (should average over 15)

Iowa State: Royce White (top 10 big man in league)

Texas: Chapman (I can see him averaging 10 pts; 8 reb)

Tech: Willis (will score by default)

Last edited:
giving too many of dixon's minutes to the pg pressey and too many of denmon's minutes to the sg pressey?

Mostly dealt with the point guard position. Many people have speculated Anderson favored Pressey not because he had earned it, but because of the relationship he had with the Pressey family. Dixon started losing minutes without really doing anything on the court to warrant it. I think it caused a bit of tension on the team.

The relationship between English and Anderson had also become horrible, to the point where English was going to leave if Anderson didn't (this per English after the season was over). My suspicion is that English caught on early that Anderson was looking at Arkansas before our season even finished, and he was not at all happy about playing for a coach he believed didn't want to be there.

Surprise players:

Missouri: Ratliffe (more traditional system probably benefits him the most- good low post game).

Agree with this a lot. Ratliffe was brought in to help fill a void Missouri had in the post. He did a decent job at it, but the team still rarely looked inside. Haith puts a lot of emphasis on getting the ball into the post. If Ratliffe puts in work to add a bit of diversity to his post repertoire, he could feast down low next year.

Steve Moore could also surprise some people. He was rarely used by Anderson, but on the rare occasion when he did get the ball in the post, he converted at a pretty high rate. He struggled to stay on the floor because he couldn't stay out of foul trouble playing at Anderson's pace with guards who too often went for steals and got burnt. In a slower game with a coach that looks into the post more, I wouldn't be shocked to see him average 8-10 points per game (this after averaging 1.1, 1.1 and 2.0 over the past three years).

Great thread, Sam.

It is so hard to rank because the league is so even. I think it will be a log-jam, with all teams being pretty competitive. I also think the Big 12 will put 7 teams in.

1.) Kansas
-Kansas always wins. Great coach, great players, great fans.
2.) Texas A&M
-Kennedy was a good enough hire for this group.
3.) Kansas State
-I really like what KSU has. If Henriquez can play center for 25 minutes a game and Samuels steps up at PF, they will be very good.
4.) Oklahoma State
-Most athletic team in the league. They need to prove they can shoot. Will have a big star this year with Nash, Olukemi was excellent in his first year. The trio of Markel, JP, and Nash will be very tough.
5.) Missouri
-They will be good, not great. Still, lock for the tournament. They need English to be better after a questionable junior year.
6.) Iowa State
-Mixing a bunch of transfers is iffy, but these guys should be good. Returning players Ejim and Christopherson are pretty good (especially Ejim), and all the transfers are very good players.
7.) Baylor
-I want to see a point guard. Also, losing the best scorer in the history of the league is a big deal.
8.) Oklahoma
-Clark and Osby will put on a show... if Grooms plays as advertised and Pledger/Fitz/Calvin continue to get better (especially Newell) they will move up the list. Hard to move them up though, as Pledger and Fitz have won about 20 games in 2 years here.
9.) Texas
-They lost everyone and will be the most inexperienced team in the league outside of Tech. We will see.
10.) Texas Tech
-Tech signed 10 new players this year.. I still dont even know who is gonna be back. They do, however, have some pieces. We will see how their roster shakes out because there will be transfers. Right now they have 16 scholarship players.

Just to comment on how even this league is, I think the last place team will be pretty competitive. They have lots of new players, but their starters will be experienced guys and they have a great coach.

Head Coach: Billy Gillispie
PG: Javarez Willis (5'11'' 175 -Sophomore)
-Top 75 player out of high school. Played behind Roberson last year. Known as a great 3pt shooter.
SG: Marshall Henderson (6'2'' 165 - RS Sophomore)
-Averaged 12 ppg for Utah as a true freshman. Known as a 3pt bomber. All Mountain West Honorable Mention as a true freshman.
SF: JaRon Nash (6'7'' 185 - Junior)
-Averaged 11 and 4 as a juco freshman on a loaded team. "He is very long and athletic which is what we are looking for. He can handle the basketball like he is a point guard and that really gives him a chance at a great future."-BCG
PF: Jaye Crockett (6'7'' 210 - RS Sophomore)
-Possibly the best pure athlete in the Big 12. He showed some flashes last year of being a highlight reel type of player, but spent most of his time behind Singletary in his first year.
C: Robert Lewandowski (6'10'' 250 - Senior)
-9 points, 5 rebounds game last year. Will probably be more involved this year. I could see him being a 11/7 type of guy and a good defensive center.

I mean, you could do a lot worse than that and they are gonna be projected last. Plus they are gonna play great defense and compete with BCG at the helm. If this is the worst team in the league, its gonna be a war all season.

Watch the last 7 seconds of this video... I saw a few of his plays last year, and the guy looks like he has a 50 inch vertical:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjNo1HCgTM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

3.) Kansas State
-I really like what KSU has. If Henriquez can play center for 25 minutes a game and Samuels steps up at PF, they will be very good.

Seriously?

Did you see them at all this year when Pullen wasn't on the floor? They were awful, and he's gone. What about the players they have returning do you like? Nothing that that group has actually done on the floor should inspire confidence in anyone.

Back