A way too early look at the Big 12.

Seriously?

Did you see them at all this year when Pullen wasn't on the floor? They were awful, and he's gone. What about the players they have returning do you like? Nothing that that group has actually done on the floor should inspire confidence in anyone.

i'm mildly confident. spradling and mcgruder are very good shooters. not to overstate the obvious, but shooting is the most important basketball skill. two shooters is a pretty good foundation to build a team around.

i think spradling will surprise some people next year.

Bigabd- Tech will suck. There is not a single player another big12 team would want- maybe Henderson if his substance abuse issues are behind him. Knight left that cupboard bare.

And what is up with your 2nd place rating of A&M? I was fully expecting you to rate them 8-10 like you do every year :)

I think there are "knowns" and "unknowns".

Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Iowa State are unknowns in my mind. Just too early to know. We won't know about these teams until we see the rosters of Texas and Kansas, and until a few games in with regard to Oklahoma and Iowa State.

Okie State, K State, T Tech, Texas A&M, Missouri, and Baylor will mostly playing with kids we have seen. Missouri and Baylor should be pretty good, they were this year. Baylor looks real good on paper, but always does and then under performs. Maybe this is their breakout year. A&M, K State and Okie State will be decent, but not much more. Although, I nearly put Okie State in the "unknown" category due to Nash. I don't think Guerrero or Jurick do much this year. If Nash is another Durant, Anthony or someone like that, e.g. a first player picked in draft once in a lifetime player, then they could be substantially improved. Otherwise, I think they will be a decent but not great team.

TTech will be bad this year, unless Gillespie really works his magic. I could see it. He is a terrific coach. But, he doesn't have much talent this year. And, I could see him taking a year or two to get it going there.

Most interesting teams to watch IMO, Okla and TTech to see what Billy and Lon can do with talent that didn't win this year. Baylor to see what Drew can do with a lineup that has more talent than some NBA teams. Okie State to see what Nash is.

Prediction: Texas is down this year and Kansas is good as always.

tap the brakes on the comments that Baylor has more talent than some NBA teams. They have two NBA players on their roster- maybe 3. Perry Jones is an NBA player. Quincy Miller is an NBA player. And perhaps one out of Cory Jefferson, Anthony Jones or Quincy Acy.

But Perry Jones and Quincy Miller are the only top 20 recruits Drew has ever signed. He recruits very well. And last year they underachieved. But the label of Baylor being a constantly underachieving team is not accurate.

They had a balanced roster in 2009-2010 and went to the elite 8. They had a lot of frontcourt talent last year, but major issues at the guard position. It was certainly a disappointing year in regards to expectations, but I think it is funny that Drew is getting labeled with a tag that his teams consistently underperform. I understand it, because last year's team was just painfully bad basketball. But the statement is not rooted in reality.

Texas is also a possible destination for Wake Forest transfer Tony Woods (who will be eligible next year, either immediately or after the first semester).

Seriously?

Did you see them at all this year when Pullen wasn't on the floor? They were awful, and he's gone. What about the players they have returning do you like? Nothing that that group has actually done on the floor should inspire confidence in anyone.

Good players leave college basketball teams all over the country, and somehow their programs manage to survive. Do you think KSU will just never be good again because Pullen left? lol...

I think Will Spradling is gonna surprise some people this year, Rodney McGruder will take over as option #1 and be dang good at it. They will build around McGruder and the supporting cast looks pretty good.

And what is up with your 2nd place rating of A&M? I was fully expecting you to rate them 8-10 like you do every year

I kept waiting for them to fall apart, and now it will happen because I put them in the top 3.

Bigabd- Tech will suck. There is not a single player another big12 team would want- maybe Henderson if his substance abuse issues are behind him. Knight left that cupboard bare.

Other Big 12 teams would want Jaye Crockett, Marshall Henderson, Robert Lewandowski, and Javarez Willis. We will see on Jaron Nash. We will see about Tolbert and Petteway, who both had high-major offers.

Why wouldnt a team want Jaye Crockett? Guy is a freak athlete.

I have no problem believing ksu will be solid (although I wouldn't be shocked if their just plain bad). But you're not simply predicting them to be good. You're predicting them to finish third in a damn good conference, which would likely make them a top 10-15 team.

Yes, good teams lose good players all the time. But not like this.

Olu Ashalou is going to Oregon per multiple recruiting guys on twitter. Another blow to Texas.

If Barnes doesn't land Deandre Daniels, he is going to have to start suiting up some of those football players that they promised would be able to do dual sports like Jeffcoat.

Rick barnes, welcome to our world. Notwithstanding the best planning, it can all fall apart with a few unexpected and late departures.

I think Barnes is a good guy and great coach, but I would dearly love to see Texas tank for a year. Might help our recovery time.

The way they recruit down there, I wouldn't think they would be down long. However, if they don't get Daniels I don't imagine there is much else out there to be very scared of.

Like I said in another thread, I think Texas will be down this year and Kansas will be good. I don't really know why I think Kansas will be good, I just imagine it otherwise. Somehow someway they will put together a good team, just always do.

It is hard to see how Texas is as good with their losses.

I don't really know why I think Kansas will be good.

because they have (by far) the most talented, experienced players in the conference? you'd have to work pretty hard to imagine any other team as the conf. favorite.

they may be down significantly from how good they were this year, but they're up a long ways from how good any other team in the conference will be next year.

Back