Again, the starters

MO

Reaction score
We have started poorly in the last two games. Move Pledger into the starting lineup and have Tony come off the bench as the 6th man. When Tony is on, he is decent, when he is not we are out of games in a hurry. Everyone said watch his defense; OK I did, I don't see any defensive play that couldn't be contributed by someone else. Plus, Tony would be that important spark coming off the bench. The key, however, is when he is not playing well he's not in your starting lineup. Play your skill from the beginning and we would evolve into a better team in the long run.

Ryan Wright, I just don't see it. No doubt he could become a contributing extra inside, but a starter, just don't see it.

It's a young team, I'm not down on them at all. I just see a better starting 5 and would be willing to bet it isn't far off.

We have started poorly in the last two games. Move Pledger into the starting lineup and have Tony come off the bench as the 6th man. When Tony is on, he is decent, when he is not we are out of games in a hurry. Everyone said watch his defense; OK I did, I don't see any defensive play that couldn't be contributed by someone else. Plus, Tony would be that important spark coming off the bench. The key, however, is when he is not playing well he's not in your starting lineup. Play your skill from the beginning and we would evolve into a better team in the long run.

Ryan Wright, I just don't see it. No doubt he could become a contributing extra inside, but a starter, just don't see it.

It's a young team, I'm not down on them at all. I just see a better starting 5 and would be willing to bet it isn't far off.

That is not remotely the answer. I would prefer to see the starting lineup with Wright and Allen than Pledger. These young guys have to learn they are not that great anymore. Everyone can play at this level and if you don't do things in a fundamentally sound way you lose. It is that simple. Play college basketball or lose.

(Don't read this wrong because OU's young guys have plenty of talent, they just need to learn to play college basketball rather than high school basketball. In high school every kid on OU's team could take over a game on pure ability. They can't do that anymore. They have to play their role and play as a team. If and when they do that, they will have games where they take over and put up huge numbers.

If you want to give away someone's starting role how about giving Pledger the start over TMG? Let Willie run the point. Once again I will tell you, Crocker is our only hope at slowing down the other teams best players. His defense is tenacious and consistent and I feel that his offensive game often suffers due to the extreme effort he exerts covering his man. If you don't see it then you don't know what to look for I suppose. Unlike his teammates, Tony is able to stay in front of his man and won't allow him to drive to the hoop easily.

I realize that things aren't clicking and a change is needed to perhaps find the best combination of players on the floor. Crocker is NOT our main problem and the sooner you get that idea out of your head the better off you'll be.

:ez-roll:

This teams need to become consistent, play better defense and more like a team.
Benching the team's most experience player is not the answer, the talent is there. The pieces need to be put together and Tony is one of those guys who will be very important in putting them together.

Willie is the guy that isn't playing well right now. Part of the reason he isn't playing well is feeling he has to carry the offense. Put a real scoring threat out there with him and his play would improve. Tony is not a reliable offensive player. He has his moments when he surprises you, but he has more moments when he takes you out of any momentum.

I've never understood labels. A guy has played a lot, but you can't say he is a consistent offensive threat. So what do you do when loyalty is one of the most respected human traits. Well, you say he plays great defense. You create a label to justify.

Granted, there are some freshmen right now that aren't playing much defense at all, but Tony is out of position in the team mix. He is actually a strong emotional presence on the team, but he can not produce consistently. That's why you bring that emotion he carries off the bench.

Laugh all you want, but that's probably the structure of the team you will see in a month or so.

Willie is the guy that isn't playing well right now. Part of the reason he isn't playing well is feeling he has to carry the offense. Put a real scoring threat out there with him and his play would improve. Tony is not a reliable offensive player. He has his moments when he surprises you, but he has more moments when he takes you out of any momentum.

I've never understood labels. A guy has played a lot, but you can't say he is a consistent offensive threat. So what do you do when loyalty is one of the most respected human traits. Well, you say he plays great defense. You create a label to justify.

Granted, there are some freshmen right now that aren't playing much defense at all, but Tony is out of position in the team mix. He is actually a strong emotional presence on the team, but he can not produce consistently. That's why you bring that emotion he carries off the bench.

Laugh all you want, but that's probably the structure of the team you will see in a month or so.

Under your description, Crocker can't score nor defend...so why play him at all?

Crocker has skills, but he doesn't maintain them at a consistent level over long periods of time. If you have an emotional leader with big up and downs, he takes the team with him. I'm suggesting a way to get the most out of Tony. Let him play in short spurts and add emotional energy to the team. I think he could do that and I think he would play at a high level if you reduced his on court time demand.

It just an opinion. You don't have to view this as a knock on Tony, just as a way to develop better team cohesion.

Tony needs to be in the game. His offense is inconsistent but his defense and rebounding is consistent. That is very important.

Jeff just has to use the young guys more when they are on and sit them when they are off. But Tony needs to play.

I think Wright is the weakest link. We need someone to take his job.

I agree on Wright, but Crocker is not a weak link. It is a matter of maximizing what he can contribute. I think that contribution is as a sixth man, maybe rotating in often if this vital defensive presence is actually real. I'm not that convinced on that notion, but since it is a theme here, I will certainly be watching more closely

these are just my thoughts, but for any team--and especially a relatively YOUNG team, one of the first things to build for an effective identity is defensive committment...over time, the gifts of the players on the offensive end of the ball tend to take care of themselves, but you've gotta LEARN to lock down on the defensive end of the floor.

And this is why I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE you need Mr. Tony Crocker on the floor. Dog him all you want about his past ups and downs (of course he DOES have a career avg of slightly over 10 PPG I think, but I guess that's not solid enough...) but there is noone on the team right now that gives the defensive diligence and knowledge that Crock provides.

In my eyes, he's not a guy you don't start. But this is just me.

Crocker plays D if his offense is on.... when his offense is off or a bad call...his whole body language changes and his D suffers.

these are just my thoughts, but for any team--and especially a relatively YOUNG team, one of the first things to build for an effective identity is defensive committment...over time, the gifts of the players on the offensive end of the ball tend to take care of themselves, but you've gotta LEARN to lock down on the defensive end of the floor.

And this is why I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE you need Mr. Tony Crocker on the floor. Dog him all you want about his past ups and downs (of course he DOES have a career avg of slightly over 10 PPG I think, but I guess that's not solid enough...) but there is noone on the team right now that gives the defensive diligence and knowledge that Crock provides.

In my eyes, he's not a guy you don't start. But this is just me.

I'll stay out of the Crocker discussion. He has always been an enigma to me. Wright is a stiff and IMHO not going to develop much.

One of Crocker's strengths is also one of his weaknesses in that he is an emotional guy. He pouts on the court after a tough call and seems to lose his mental focus at times. His poor composure on the court has been the only consistent part of his game over four years.

Move TMG to the bench. Willie is much better on the ball, TMG is out of control which means that bothe him and Willie have the potential to be two out of control guards. Plus, they don't play well together. Start Willie at point, with two catch and shoot guys who can spot up off WW's penitration. Now, defensively, it's a problem that everyone on the team is having. A starting lineup change isn't going to help there, just better communication.

Back