Anyone else remember the OU-Utah game of '79-80?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
It was in the Cable Car Classic out in San Francisco. Host USF played some forgettable opponent in the four-team field, and OU matched up with da Yoots in the other game.

From what I remember about it, the game was really tight all the way. The main sequence I remember was as follows:

- Eventual NBA star Tom Chambers, then a Utah junior forward, wiped out a one-point OU lead with a basket with four seconds left in regulation.
- OU in-bounded the ball to point guard Raymond Whitley. He was quick with the ball back then (before his horrific fall of '80 knee injury) and got to just inside the circle near the foul line. Whitley pulled up and shot at the buzzer. John Brooks then cut loose with, "GOOOOOOOD!"

At least where I lived, a whole floor of a North Greek frat house, all listening to the game on radio, went nuts.

That didn't become a great OU season, but we did beat a Ute team with two future NBA players (Chambers and Danny Vranes) and a third guy who was a tough small forward named Karl Bankowski. They earlier beat eventual NCAA champion Louisville in Salt Lake City, too.

It was in the Cable Car Classic out in San Francisco. Host USF played some forgettable opponent in the four-team field, and OU matched up with da Yoots in the other game.

From what I remember about it, the game was really tight all the way. The main sequence I remember was as follows:

- Eventual NBA star Tom Chambers, then a Utah junior forward, wiped out a one-point OU lead with a basket with four seconds left in regulation.
- OU in-bounded the ball to point guard Raymond Whitley. He was quick with the ball back then (before his horrific fall of '80 knee injury) and got to just inside the circle near the foul line. Whitley pulled up and shot at the buzzer. John Brooks then cut loose with, "GOOOOOOOD!"

At least where I lived, a whole floor of a North Greek frat house, all listening to the game on radio, went nuts.

That didn't become a great OU season, but we did beat a Ute team with two future NBA players (Chambers and Danny Vranes) and a third guy who was a tough small forward named Karl Bankowski. They earlier beat eventual NCAA champion Louisville in Salt Lake City, too.

I don't remember this game although I should have. They were probably a decent team if they had Chambers playing. I guess the only game we've lost to the Utes was in the NCAA a few years ago.

Back