Are you ready for this?

Mostly dribble drive fadeaways. That's an OK shot, but he has to be able to decide when he needs to cut the drive off and shoot the pullup. Look at about 1:17 where he goes in the lane and gets a shot against three guys. It was a nice play, but one he won't make on this level. He would benefit from a floater as well. A nice tear drop one at abou 15-12 ft. Drew Lavender and TJ Ford had hellacious ones.

Also, If you look back at Byron Eaton's freshman year, most of his offensive problems came from not knowing when to cut his drives off. He had this problem throughout his career and had foul problems and turnovers due to it. You would like your PG to stop right at the freethrow line if he beats his man, and either shoot, or draw the post player in so he dish it underneath.

I don't get the critique at all...I'm all for being cautious in your optimism or pointing things out about a player's game that you would like to see improve, but this just doesn't make any sense to me at all. First of all, its a highlight reel, not a game tape. Its a minute forty one of TMG highlights and the thing you came away with is he needs a pull-up? It didn't highlight his three point shooting either, should he work on that too? What about his post up game?

Also, I don't get the distinction you are making between a pull-up jumper and a "dribble drive fadeaway". So the fact that he is hitting mid-range jump shots off the dribble doesn't seem relative to you in whether or not he can hit a pull-up? Besides, I thought his pull-up jumper was his signature move for most of his career, prior to him extending his range. He is strong as a bull and elevates so well on his shot, there is no reason for me to think he can't hit that shot right now, especially considering it was considered his bread and butter shot a couple years ago. I just don't get the comment at all.

Oh, and what about this request that he develop a tear drop floater from 12-15 feet? Maybe I just think a tear drop is something other than what you think it is, but I honestly can't think of ever seeing any player at any level of basketball who had a 15 foot tear drop in the arsenal. Why stop there? How about a three-point finger roll? I think that would be swell too.

Back