At least this place is tame.

SoonersRule

Banned
Reaction score
Owen Field is completely unbearable right now. I am glad you guys started this site.

The best thing that could happen over there is for about 75% of the people that post there to jump off of the bandwagon and find another team to cheer for.

Yep, there's still a top 25 ranked Sooner program to root for from November-March and it's only getting better with each big recruit Capel picks up!

OU will become a "basketball school" under Capel!!!!!

Well, I think when it comes to the before mentioned board. The obvious solution is to fire someone. Reality is OU does not have the players and people refuse to believe it because they play their video football games and think they know as much as coachs do about their own team.

OU will become a "basketball school" under Capel!!!!!

hell, the football team ain't bad. When you lose two top ten draftpicks and then lose an all conference receiver, what do you expect to happen?

hell, the football team ain't bad. When you lose two top ten draftpicks and then lose an all conference receiver, what do you expect to happen?

I didn't say anything about the football team. I don't care how good they are I would still love to see OU become a "basketball school". I don't like OU football and I love OU basketball.
All these years we've heard it's a "football school".
What's wrong with being a "basketball school"? OU will always be great at football.
But there is no reason OU needs to be labeled a "football school". I say "basketball school" in jest because OU football will always be great. But I'd like to see the label go away. That would show that OU basketball is an elite program.

TU let's not get into a pissing match about football. There is already a thread about that for that.

You can't be both. You are going to be labeled whatever you are better at. Unless OU football falls off the planet, and OU basketball is top 5 for 30+ years, we'll be a football school.

It only takes another 2,000 fans to show up every home game and 200 more to show for every road game and we would be a basketball school. :clap

I'm perfectly happy with us being labeled as a football school. Being a successful football school pays very real benefits to all of the other sports on campus. My ideal situation is that people see us as a football school with the best football/basketball combination in the NCAA. I want the other football schools to envy our basketball program. I want to beat the 'basketball only' schools and have them envy our football program. I want the best of both worlds and I think we can have it.

I would burn down our bball program if it meant another football dr. pepper big 12 title.

We will remain primarily a football school because that's where the big donor money is. We didn't start these sports programs to substitute for PE. We began them to get alumni donations. Nothing is as good as football for that.

Basketball is beginning to be a nice addition. I doubt that there is a way to get donors to state why they give money, but I would like to know if basketball isn't catching up a bit. Yet, the state used to stop on football gameday. It just doesn't do that for basketball---yet. Now, if Sherri and Jeff keep this up,-----

Well, I think when it comes to the before mentioned board. The obvious solution is to fire someone. Reality is OU does not have the players and people refuse to believe it because they play their video football games and think they know as much as coachs do about their own team.

No, the reality is that OU does have the players, but they're all injured.

Who would you have fired? Kevin Wilson, or Brent Venables? I like that after a year where Kevin Wilson led the highest-scoring offense in the modern era people are calling for him to fired. As for Venables, I can't believe the lack of respect people have for Venables. Our defense held Texas to three more points than a frighteningly depleted offense.

Can someone explain to me where all this disrespect for our team is coming from? This is the same kind of pessimism that came out on this board after our lose to Kansas last year. I think both our football and basketball teams are going to be very successful in the coming years.
:boomer:sooner

You can't be both. You are going to be labeled whatever you are better at. Unless OU football falls off the planet, and OU basketball is top 5 for 30+ years, we'll be a football school.

I agree with you and don't know any OU basketball fans that think that this will change. It is what it is. There are a lot of pros in having one of the best athletic departments in the country.

Even though you can't be labeled as both, I do want more Sooner fans to realize that we have a good enough basketball program to be a basketball school. I think it is pretty tremendous to have excellent programs in the top two money making sports in college athletics. It is part of what really makes OU a special place.

It only takes another 2,000 fans to show up every home game and 200 more to show for every road game and we would be a basketball school. :clap

That would be nice wouldn't it. Coach Capel and the boys deserve it.
Oh well, a guy can only hope. I'll consider OU a "basketball school" in my book!!!!! :woot

In a way, we have had our cake and ate it too. We have been the best football school in the country and the second best basketball school in our conference. Not too shabby in my opinion and our program is really on the upswing.

In a way, we have had our cake and ate it too. We have been the best football school in the country and the second best basketball school in our conference. Not too shabby in my opinion and our program is really on the upswing.

Oh no kidding. Sooner fans are really, really spoiled. :woot

Back