At least this place is tame.

I believe that OU will always be a football school. However, back in 1988 OU supported two teams that went to the NC in their respective sports in the same year. Those two sports were football and basketball. This was truly beautiful because that year showed that the two can co-exist together. I would love to see this happen again. Also, Coach Capel knows that this is a football school. I don't think that it is his goal to change that. I do believe that he feels that basketball can be supported and embraced just like football. I don't think some OU fans realize the tradition the basketball program has. Coach Capel eloquently talked about this in a radio interview on the sports animal. As fans we just need to get behind this team and program. :boomer:sooner BABY!!!:clap

No, the reality is that OU does have the players, but they're all injured.

Who would you have fired? Kevin Wilson, or Brent Venables? I like that after a year where Kevin Wilson led the highest-scoring offense in the modern era people are calling for him to fired. As for Venables, I can't believe the lack of respect people have for Venables. Our defense held Texas to three more points than a frighteningly depleted offense.

Can someone explain to me where all this disrespect for our team is coming from? This is the same kind of pessimism that came out on this board after our lose to Kansas last year. I think both our football and basketball teams are going to be very successful in the coming years.
:boomer:sooner

There are a couple of things at work here.

1) We have some horribly spoiled and unrealistic fans.

2) When it comes to the internet, you can never be sure the person sitting behind the keyboard is who they proclaim to be. Some of them are fans of other schools who get a perverse pleasure out of trying to agitate and cause trouble. On OUI, there's always a danger that the poster is the alter ego of one of the moderators, trying to increase their traffic.

I've copied an excerpt from an article by Nick Gholson of the Wichita Falls Times Record News below. By the way, this writer has written some of the most negative and outrageous anti-OU and anti-Oklahoma articles ever written. For him to make the comments I copied below is astonishing. The fact that he gives more credit to our team an coaches than some of fans do is downright shameful. The title of the article is "Texas Fans, Don't Let the Win Go To Your Head".

Yes, Texas won a year’s worth of bragging rights, 16-13 on Saturday, but if they lined up and played it again today, an OU win should surprise nobody.

Texas and Oklahoma are still two of the top five college football programs in the country.

And the 2009 editions of the Longhorns and Sooners are really, really close.

The Sooners came here missing their All-American tight end, then lost their Heisman Trophy quarterback on the second series of the game and still only lost by a field goal.

So, my fellow Texans, don’t let your heads or your egos get too puffed up.

And quit this “Big Game Bob” stuff.

Bob Stoops is a great college football coach. He and his coaching staff did one heck of a job game-planning for the Longhorns. They took Jordan Shipley away. They just about took Colt McCoy away. They almost won this game even without Sam Bradford.

i'll take it the way it is. if we were a basketball school, this place wouldn't be tame after losses or close wins. there's valid criticism, and then there are meltdowns of epic proportion that you read on the football boards. i like the % of rationality to idiocy we have now.

i'll take it the way it is. if we were a basketball school, this place wouldn't be tame after losses or close wins. there's valid criticism, and then there are meltdowns of epic proportion that you read on the football boards. i like the % of rationality to idiocy we have now.

I'm not one to make bold predictions but I will predict this:

After we win our first NC in basketball, the percentage of rationality to idiocy will rise on the side of idiocy.

:boomer:sooner

Great post Ms. You are exactly right in that fans of top programs are totally unrealistic. And I agree with those comments on the OU/Texas game you posted. I didn't watch the entire game but it looked and sounded like Stoops had a great game plan and the players played their butts off. To lose just by 3 to a team in Texas who had OU outmanned because of the injuries is something to be proud about as much as I hate moral victories. No shame in that game at all.

It wasn't tame last year after losses. The difference between OU football and basketball right now is when football takes a loss, it's on the coaches (fans expect more). When OU basketball comes up short, it's on the officials...happens every game.

Sort of amusing.

Last edited:
It wasn't last year tame last year after losses. The difference between OU football and basketball right now is when football takes a loss, it's on the coaches (fans expect more). When OU basketball comes up short, it's on the officials...happens every game.

Sort of amusing.

Guess you must have missed those "cheating officials" threads on OUI after the loss to Texas last weekend. ;)

Guess you must have missed those "cheating officials" threads on OUI after the loss to Texas last weekend. ;)

OUI won't exist for me for a least another day or two. I can usually manage to get one or two of them banned for a few days after a loss but I'm really not in the mood to put up with them right now.

It wasn't last year tame last year after losses. The difference between OU football and basketball right now is when football takes a loss, it's on the coaches (fans expect more). When OU basketball comes up short, it's on the officials...happens every game.

Sort of amusing.

i know it will never be completely void of ridiculous posts, because after all we would have gone undefeated if ray willis was given more playing time. i just don't ever want this place to become owen field 2.0, which will happen if a football forum is ever created.

You can't be both. You are going to be labeled whatever you are better at. Unless OU football falls off the planet, and OU basketball is top 5 for 30+ years, we'll be a football school.

Says who? I know that is fairly standard belief today but does it have to always be that way? Why can't a school be both?

I personally think OU can be known as a great basketball school and a great football school. I think football is always going to outshine basketball but I think we are settling as fans if we accept we can't be both.

If we supported basketball like we do football, I think we would be both (or as close to it as possible).

I agree with you and don't know any OU basketball fans that think that this will change. It is what it is. There are a lot of pros in having one of the best athletic departments in the country.

Even though you can't be labeled as both, I do want more Sooner fans to realize that we have a good enough basketball program to be a basketball school. I think it is pretty tremendous to have excellent programs in the top two money making sports in college athletics. It is part of what really makes OU a special place.

Yep.

Says who? I know that is fairly standard belief today but does it have to always be that way? Why can't a school be both?
I personally think OU can be known as a great basketball school and a great football school. I think football is always going to outshine basketball but I think we are settling as fans if we accept we can't be both.
If we supported basketball like we do football, I think we would be both (or as close to it as possible).

I agree. Good post.

Back