Austin Reaves best game of the year

thebigabd

Reaction score
He didn't score 25 points or anything, but I thought Austin had his best game of the year last night. He played the way that is best for him and the team.

12 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds.

There were probably 6-7 times last time that I expected him to do his typical thing and jack up a terrible step-back 3, or try to draw some BS foul... but he didn't. He either made a good pass to someone else, or kept moving the ball, or drove to the rim and created for either JB to make a play or for someone else to score.

He played a smart game, within himself, and seemed focused on others for the first time this season.

Agreed. Hopefully he does more of the same as it makes the "team" better.

I think he’s starting to take to the coaching. When he distributes he makes this team exponentially better. That isn’t lost on the staff and it seems he’s starting to understand that.

Last edited:
I'd probably choose the Oklahoma State game as his best game even with 5 or whatever turnovers he had.

I do agree though, Austin played more under control last night.

I'd say best under control, team game. But he's starting to become more consistent and is taking WAY better shots & not trying to force is near as much.

Reaves certainly went through a bad stretch, especially after conference play started. But anyone who claims there were no signs that he would come out of that funk are either stupid, or worse yet, dishonest.

Reaves certainly went through a bad stretch, especially after conference play started. But anyone who claims there were no signs that he would come out of that funk are either stupid, or worse yet, dishonest.

The problem I had is that he wasn't taking and missing good shots like Doolittle & JB were. He was taking bad shots & turning down set shots to get into the lane and force something crazy.

The ability was there early on & never left, he just was playing out of control. Glad it seems like he's figured out, definitely OU's best offensive guard & playmaker.

He didn’t start particularly well but really got rolling in the second half; perhaps triggered by his long 3 at the end of first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He always seems to play well when the team is rolling and not well when the pressure is high.

He didn’t start particularly well but really got rolling in the second half; perhaps triggered by his long 3 at the end of first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea and that whole time in the first half he was just playing within the offense, not shooting OU out of the game or ISU back into the game.

Reaves has been balling lately and it has been huge for us. Bienemy absolutely played his best game of the year.

Reaves has been balling lately and it has been huge for us. Bienemy absolutely played his best game of the year.

He played terrible against West Virginia, 1-4, 6 points, 4 turnovers, 0 assists. 4 fouls.

But last night he did play well.

I think he’s starting to take to the coaching. When he distributes he makes this team exponentially better. That isn’t lost on the staff and it seems he’s starting to understand that.

I see lots of truth here. I was noting yesterday that it's sad he misses so many shots because he really seems to move well without the ball. If only he was a better finisher. BUT ... if he can combine that movement with better sharing of the ball then we have a formula for more team success whether his finishing improves or not.

Could it be that the team "rolling" and Reaves' "playing well" are somehow connected???

It certainly helps but WVU proved he’s not the key, Doo & Manek are more important as long as at least 2 of the guards play well.

It certainly helps but WVU proved he’s not the key, Doo & Manek are more important as long as at least 2 of the guards play well.

Never implied that Reaves was "the" key. And everyone knows how important Manek and Doolittle are to this team's success.

Never implied that Reaves was "the" key. And everyone knows how important Manek and Doolittle are to this team's success.

I wasn’t trying to be argumentative. You asked if the team’s “rolling” & AR’s “success” was connected. I suggested OU’s forwards were the key to the team rolling & only needed 2/4 guards to contribute.

Could it be that the team "rolling" and Reaves' "playing well" are somehow connected???

Nope, if the big two play well then we don’t need that much production from Reaves. We just need him to not hurt the team with crazy plays.

Nope, if the big two play well then we don’t need that much production from Reaves. We just need him to not hurt the team with crazy plays.

Disagree. We need Reaves, like it or not to play under control, distribute and score 10ish a night.

Back