Barnes to Lead Volunteers?

skyvue

Reaction score
Looks like Rick Barnes may not be unemployed for long:

Tennessee close to Rick Barnes hire

Tennessee has offered its vacant coaching job to former Texas coach Rick Barnes, and the two sides are closing in on a deal, two sources with knowledge told ESPN.

"It looks as though it's going to happen," one source told ESPN. "It's close, but it's not done yet."

The 60-year-old Barnes was fired by Texas athletic director Steve Patterson over the weekend despite going to 16 NCAA tournaments in 17 seasons.... Full story

Rick will be going from one shade of orange (puke) to another (Jack-O-Lantern).

Will be interesting to see what he does with the Vols.

This would be a good hire for the Vols.

Official: Barnes to Tennessee...news conference later today

Vols have made the sweet 16 5 times since 2000 and play in a 21,000 seat arena. This is a step up for Barnes.

Vols have made the sweet 16 5 times since 2000 and play in a 21,000 seat arena. This is a step up for Barnes.

So has Texas. Texas has also made 3 Elite Eight appearance, 1 final four appearance and the Tournament every year but 2013. I don't really how you can say this is a step up for Barnes. Perhaps it is a lateral but I wouldn't even say that.

stop .. and fyi texas has been to 5 sweet 16 in that time frame also .. along with 3 elite 8's and 1 final 4 .. and missed the dance ONE time ..

Tennessee has missed the dance 7 times and has 1 elite 8

Last edited:
stop .. and fyi texas has been to 5 sweet 16 in that time frame also .. along with 3 elite 8's and 1 final 4 .. and missed the dance ONE time ..

They did all that because of Barnes and were total garbage before him. Now he's going into a situation where the program has been very successful prior to his arrival and has better fan support. It's a step up.

Getting out of Texas is virtually always a step up.

If you are just insulting Texas, especially UT, I can support that; however, if you really think Tennessee is a better program than Texas, I think you are stretching things a bit. Texas has 32 NCAA appearances and lots of SWC Championships along with 3 Big XII Championships. Tennesse has 20 NCAA appearances, fewer conference Championships and only one elite eight.

I have no clue how Tennessee does on attendance but I wonder if they built that big arena for women's basketball (I am joking).

They did all that because of Barnes and were total garbage before him. Now he's going into a situation where the program has been very successful prior to his arrival and has better fan support. It's a step up.

Getting out of Texas is virtually always a step up.

Tennessee did most of that because of bruce pearl .. a very very good coach

Tennessee did most of that because of bruce pearl .. a very very good coach

He is a good coach and a great personality. Hope he does well at Auburn.

We'll see who Texas ends up hiring. I always thought Barnes underachieved but he's the best they ever had. Hopefully the next coach gets them back ... to complete irrelevance!!

We'll see who Texas ends up hiring. I always thought Barnes underachieved but he's the best they ever had. Hopefully the next coach gets them back ... to complete irrelevance!!

we agree on all of this ..

Bring back Tom Penders! j/k

Would they dare hire Kelvin Sampson? I'm just saying... he's right down the road you know.

Might be a little funny if Texas gets matched up with Tennessee in the Big12/SEC Challenge.

The guy took Texas to the NCAA Tournament 16 of 17 seasons he was there. Fantastic hire by UT.

Might've have stagnated in Austin, but he can coach.

Back