Looking at the basketball coaches of the SEC

NickZepp

Reaction score
Since these are the future programs we will play every year let's discuss the coaches and programs we'll go against.

Even though Kentucky is on a bit of a rough run last year I would expect them to be basically like Kansas for us. We'll probably see Coach Cal in Norman on a regular basis.

Tennessee will have Rick Barnes for at least the next few years. He is nearing 70 so I'm sure he could will retire probably in the first few seasons we are in the conference. But that will be fun seeing him back as a conference foe.

Arkansas and Alabama have Musselman and Oats who are probably 2 of the best young coaches in NCAA right now. Musselman has won 20 games or more both of his first two years and went to the Elite 8 in his first post season. Nate Oats won 32 games and Buffalo and 26 last year at Bama getting them to the Sweet 16

Auburn has Bruce Pearl which on it's own is going to be fun. Last year was a bad year for Auburn but he had Auburn going pre-covid. We'll see if he can get the program to rebound.

Miss State has Ben Howland former UCLA coach that took them to 3 Final Fours in a row. He's only had 1 NCAA appearance since going to Miss State but they will probably be a 20+ win team most years with him.

Mike White has had Florida in the NCAA tournament every year the last 5 years. They are usually pretty talented.

Buzz Williams who was always in rumors with past OU coaching changes is the A&M coach. While he's had a rough go at it in his first 2 years at A&M his history has shown he's put together some great programs.

Williams' predecessor at Marquette Tom Crean is coaching Georgia. He's been pretty below average so far at Georgia in 3 seasons without a post season appearance.

South Carolina has Frank Martin former Kansas State coach. He's only taken South Carolina to the NCAA Tournament once in 9 years there. I'm not sure he'll make it to when we start SEC play unless they make the NCAA tournament this year.

Kermit Davis regularly took Mid Tennesse to the NCAA Tournament in the 2010s is now the coach at Ole Miss.

Will Wade is still the coach at LSU despite an FBI investigation against him. I'm not sure if he'll be around or not. Kinda surprised he's stlll the coach there but LSU is LSU.

Jerry Stackhouse the former NBA player is the coach at Vanderbilt.

Missouri has Cuozo Martin there now. He's gone to 2 NCAA tournaments in 4 seasons.

I don't expect the conference to be as near as deep as the Big 12. But got Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, and Arkansas, along with Texas now that will be at the top most every year. Then you got Pearl to worry about at Auburn along with Buzz Williams at A&M which will probably get going soon. It isn't gonna be near as big a step down as you think. You should have at least 8 programs be NCAA type teams every year.

Hopefully we'll see Moser get some big time players and get us competitive in the SEC but it'll be a tough league no doubt.

Back