Best fits for the Thunder in the Draft?

gracefor24

Reaction score
Obviously we won't have a chance at the top guys but it's great to dream.

Backcourt:

1. McLemore- The Thunder's biggest need is shooting on the perimeter and a dose of athleticism to replace Thabo. McLemore has both in spades plus his demeanor would be perfect with alpha dogs Westbrook and Durant.

2. Oladipo- Bulldog defender with potential to be a good shooter in the NBA. I think he's getting overrated due to his intangibles but he'd fit great.

3. McCollum- A blend of shooter/handler. He would be terrific coming off the bench.

Frontcourt:

1. Noel- Obviously he has the highest ceiling and his movement on D would be HUGE for the Thunder to improve. Can you imagine he and Serge protecting the rim together?!

2. Bennett- Undersized but really long and could be a plus player in scoring, rebounding, and spreading the floor. Put Serge at the 5 and Bennett at the 4 and all the sudden you have 4 scoring weapons on the floor rather than just 3. Replace Thabo with a shooter and the Thunder are the Heat only younger.

3. Adams- athleticism, length, and potential to be a plus rebounder. All the things that Perkins doesn't do for the Thunder this kid could do.

Most realistic scenario? Probably Adams with the 12th pick. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I think the biggest thing I like about him as opposed to the Aldrich or Mullens pick is that he combines movement/athleticism with aggressiveness on the glass. The Thunder have 2 below average rebounders currently in the starting lineup. It kills us most of the time and when it doesn't is simply because RW and KD are terrific rebounders for their positions.

I'm hoping that the Ledo kid falls to the Thunder at 29. Add a lottery talent in the late 20's (like Jones) and you are continuing to build your team with assets that will help you stay good for a long time.

My prediction is:

12- Steven Adams

29- Ricky Ledo

32- International

I don't like Adams because I think he's a bit of a project, and the Thunder need to win now to ensure that KD and Russ resign in a couple of years.

I do really like the idea of packaging every trade piece/ pick we have to move up and get an immediate impact guy. I like Bennett and the 3 guards out of the 6 you mentioned. I think Noel is just another Serge Ibaka, which really isn't something we need really need right now.

I don't like Adams because I think he's a bit of a project, and the Thunder need to win now to ensure that KD and Russ resign in a couple of years.

I do really like the idea of packaging every trade piece/ pick we have to move up and get an immediate impact guy. I like Bennett and the 3 guards out of the 6 you mentioned. I think Noel is just another Serge Ibaka, which really isn't something we need really need right now.

Yeah, the problem is with the 12 pick in this draft all you get is a project. With Adams at least you get one with athleticism and a motor. Noel has a chance to be better than Ibaka. I think Ibaka is a comparision that he meets pretty easily. Ibaka probably remains a better shooter but Noel could be a much better defender overall and much better catch and finish guy.

McLemore scares me. He seems like a smaller version of Brandon Rush, not only in terms of his passive nature, but also as an athletic shooter lacking the handle to get to the rim and create his own shots. Rush is a good role player, but that's not what you want out of a Top 5 pick, even in a weak draft. His baggage also worries me a little, even though he sounds like a genuinely good guy.

I like Oladipo and McCollum more than McLemore, even though McCollum isn't necessarily a great fit. In particular, I think Oladipo has comparable potential with fewer question marks than McLemore.

I'm not in love with Adams, but he's growing on me among the realistic candidates at #12. I like him more than potential alternatives, such as Olynyk and Plumlee. He has a cool accent, too. His interviews are like Flight of the Conchords episodes.

McLemore scares me. He seems like a smaller version of Brandon Rush, not only in terms of his passive nature, but also as an athletic shooter lacking the handle to get to the rim and create his own shots. Rush is a good role player, but that's not what you want out of a Top 5 pick, even in a weak draft. His baggage also worries me a little, even though he sounds like a genuinely good guy.

I like Oladipo and McCollum more than McLemore, even though McCollum isn't necessarily a great fit. In particular, I think Oladipo has comparable potential with fewer question marks than McLemore.

I'm not in love with Adams, but he's growing on me among the realistic candidates at #12. I like him more than potential alternatives, such as Olynyk and Plumlee. He has a cool accent, too. His interviews are like Flight of the Conchords episodes.

I get the Rush comp on the surface but watching him play a ton it's a really bad one. He's a way more natural shooter than Rush and actually uses his athleticism to get his shot off even when crowded. Rush was really good when open but not a pure catch and shoot on the move guy. Rush was longer and a better defender. McLemore is really young still and has a ton of room to grow. I think in the right org he could really blossom into a terrific player. Oladipo is fools gold on offense, he shot a high % on close in shots and on 3's but on very low attempts. I think Tony Allen is a good comp for him. I think Klay THompson is a good comp for McLemore but with BMac having a higher upside as a defender.

McLemore is getting underrated due to being young and not as aggressive but people ignore that he was a freshman and simply hasn't played that much ball. And in his freshman year he averaged 16 points a game for a pretty good team.

Last edited:
I get the Rush comp on the surface but watching him play a ton it's a really bad one. He's a way more natural shooter than Rush and actually uses his athleticism to get his shot off even when crowded. Rush was really good when open but not a pure catch and shoot on the move guy. Rush was longer and a better defender. McLemore is really young still and has a ton of room to grow. I think in the right org he could really blossom into a terrific player. Oladipo is fools gold on offense, he shot a high % on close in shots and on 3's but on very low attempts. I think Tony Allen is a good comp for him. I think Klay THompson is a good comp for McLemore but with BMac having a higher upside as a defender.

McLemore is getting underrated due to being young and not as aggressive but people ignore that he was a freshman and simply hasn't played that much ball. And in his freshman year he averaged 16 points a game for a pretty good team.
I definitely think McLemore will be a better offensive player than Rush, but I have doubts about how dynamic he will be.

I can see how McLemore's ability to catch and shoot off screens is reminiscent of Thompson, but Thompson doesn't lack confidence. Thompson is an aggressive scorer, almost to a fault.

I hope McLemore succeeds because he seems like a great kid that's survived some tough times, but I'm skeptical of highly drafted wings that aren't shot creators, at least when they don't have the motor and defensive prowess of an MKG or Oladipo.

I definitely think McLemore will be a better offensive player than Rush, but I have doubts about how dynamic he will be.

I can see how McLemore's ability to catch and shoot off screens is reminiscent of Thompson, but Thompson doesn't lack confidence. Thompson is an aggressive scorer, almost to a fault.

I hope McLemore succeeds because he seems like a great kid that's survived some tough times, but I'm skeptical of highly drafted wings that aren't shot creators, at least when they don't have the motor and defensive prowess of an MKG or Oladipo.

Totally agree. I think the thing that is being lost is how hard he must have worked to go from being a fringe Top 50 player to being a Top 10 draft pick. He worked his butt off in his redshirt year at KU to improve. He's a high character kid who you could see really improving over the next 5 years. I think aggression can be trained in as he gains confidence in his skills.

I just feel like McLemore got underrated and Oladipo overrated as time went on in the evaluation process. I think both could be really good.

High character kid? He dropped because of a lack of preparation for the draft & showed up to workouts out of shape. Red flags everywhere. Likely another Kansas bust.

Totally agree. I think the thing that is being lost is how hard he must have worked to go from being a fringe Top 50 player to being a Top 10 draft pick. He worked his butt off in his redshirt year at KU to improve. He's a high character kid who you could see really improving over the next 5 years. I think aggression can be trained in as he gains confidence in his skills.

I just feel like McLemore got underrated and Oladipo overrated as time went on in the evaluation process. I think both could be really good.
I've been sipping the Oladipo Kool-Aid, but even I can admit that he probably has been overrated. The combination of there being no sure-fire stars, combined with Oladipo being a high-motor freak of an athlete with a solid floor, got him much higher than he would in any other draft.

I worry about McLemore in Sacramento. I know they have new ownership, new management, and new coach, but they have too many knuckleheads and ball hogs. Hopefully, they get the roster straightened out sooner rather than later. McLemore needs some unselfish teammates to feed him the ball and get his confidence going.

High character kid? He dropped because of a lack of preparation for the draft & showed up to workouts out of shape. Red flags everywhere. Likely another Kansas bust.
Your instinct to defend kids whose character is questioned is clashing with your KU hatred. Good stuff.

I don't think he's a bad kid. He seems like an immature and naïve kid that may not be surrounded by the best people (i.e. the whole thing with the cousin, AAU coach, and agent).

Back