Best starting 5

outest

Reaction score
Our best starting 5 is Uzan, Soares, Oweh, Moore, and Sam Godwin. These guys hustled and defended. I would sit McCollum down because he doesn't play defense or hustle. For the past 2 games, he is a liability. Darthard is a liability as well.

Curious if we are the only home team to lose 2… def 2 in a row I’m sure

It doesn’t matter who starts. Their margin for error is too small to only make 40% of their free throws. Home or away.
I don’t disagree, but why is our margin so small? We have talent this year. And we have been a very good FT shooting team. That’s the least of our worries. The sad thing is that if we had made our FTs, our history says we would have found another way to lose.

Another example of why the awful noncon did us no favors: look at our defense. Everyone bought into the defensive numbers we put up against all the high school teams. We are allowing around 80 per game in our losses. We offer no turnovers. Just another example of why NOTHING Moser says in the offseason and preseason matters. It’s all nonsense, just like him acting like Luke was pushing for a starting spot. Yet if he is still our coach next summer, people are going to believe his coach speak and then get super excited when we blow out Pine Bluff in November. I just wonder how many of our guys will bail in the offseason.

I don’t disagree, but why is our margin so small? We have talent this year. And we have been a very good FT shooting team. That’s the least of our worries. The sad thing is that if we had made our FTs, our history says we would have found another way to lose.

Another example of why the awful noncon did us no favors: look at our defense. Everyone bought into the defensive numbers we put up against all the high school teams. We are allowing around 80 per game in our losses. We offer no turnovers. Just another example of why NOTHING Moser says in the offseason and preseason matters. It’s all nonsense, just like him acting like Luke was pushing for a starting spot. Yet if he is still our coach next summer, people are going to believe his coach speak and then get super excited when we blow out Pine Bluff in November. I just wonder how many of our guys will bail in the offseason.
I can hear the happiness in your text from here

Pathetic but predictable

The margin is small because the team isn't a good shooting team. Porter corrected from his mistakes with his first two rosters, but just having reliable shooter would help. They desperately need shooting with size, I would even take back Jacob Groves. He would help this team.

I don't think they can bench McCollum. While his defense has been pretty bad the past two games, it would put too big a burden on Los as a primary creator. Oweh and Jalon are uber athletic, but they cannot dribble in traffic It's leading to unnecessary live ball turnovers. Soares for Oweh in the starting lineup may be something to look at, or at least play Soares 30+ mins a game. This team is athletic and talented, but outside of Los and McCollum they aren't the most skilled.

If you don't defend and hustle, you are not going to start. McCollum is talented but it is getting to his head. He got out hustle by both Texas and Texas Tech point. He can't stay in front of his man. I don't think Hollis Price is as talented as McCollum but he hustled and tried hard. McCollum won't start for a Kevin Sampson team if he won't defend and hustle.

If you don't defend and hustle, you are not going to start. McCollum is talented but it is getting to his head. He got out hustle by both Texas and Texas Tech point. He can't stay in front of his man. I don't think Hollis Price is as talented as McCollum but he hustled and tried hard. McCollum won't start for a Kevin Sampson team if he won't defend and hustle.
I don't think he needs to be benched just yet but I think Soares should be nipping at his heels some.

Glad you’re back, even if took consecutive home losses to bring you out.

If OU had shot their season average at FT, they win. Tough but it happens. Not sure what PM’s coach talk in the offseason has to do with yesterday.

If OU had shot their season average at FT, they win. Tough but it happens. Not sure what PM’s coach talk in the offseason has to do with yesterday.
My point is that every offseason, he says stuff that gets the fan base excited. Playing fast, creating offense from our defense, Northweather is going to be a baller, we are building a culture, etc. He hasn’t delivered on any of it. When a coach like Kelvin or Self says something specific about his team, I believe it because they don’t traffic in cliches. With Porter, it seems like everything he says is designed to make the fans feel good about the job he is doing.

It just feels like three years in, we still have no identity. We aren’t a good shooting team. We aren’t a good ball handling team. We don’t make smart, winning plays in the clutch. Our defense doesn’t create turnovers. We don’t smother people like Houston. Our three point defense and rebounding had been good, but even those are coming back to earth against better teams. And with the notable exception of Oweh, have any guys improved year over year? Tanner and Jacob, CJ and Bijan, Los … none of those guys got better from year one to year two.

Not trying to defend anyone here, but Wichita has been posting for at least a month now. I don’t think any of his takes are coming from a place of malice. Seems to me they’re more from a place of frustration and I can completely understand. OU bball hasn’t been where anyone has wanted it to be for a solid 5 years now.

I’m a Moser supporter and think he can do the job here. I’ve liked a lot of what he’s accomplished to this point, but no one is perfect and Wichita’s points are not outlandish. Moser needs to be better in some areas. We just need to scrape together enough wins in conference to get to the tourney. A R32 finish this year is a success to me given we were originally picked 12th in conference before the season started

Not trying to defend anyone here, but Wichita has been posting for at least a month now. I don’t think any of his takes are coming from a place of malice. Seems to me they’re more from a place of frustration and I can completely understand. OU bball hasn’t been where anyone has wanted it to be for a solid 5 years now.

I’m a Moser supporter and think he can do the job here. I’ve liked a lot of what he’s accomplished to this point, but no one is perfect and Wichita’s points are not outlandish. Moser needs to be better in some areas. We just need to scrape together enough wins in conference to get to the tourney. A R32 finish this year is a success to me given we were originally picked 12th in conference before the season started
Agree 100%. TBC, I’m glad WS is back, OU needs passionate basketball fans and he clearly is.

People give people **** on a message board. Hopefully it’s all in good fun. I’ll just be sure to start citing Moser’s offseason coach talk as a factor if they ever go on a conference winning streak again lol.

My point is that every offseason, he says stuff that gets the fan base excited. Playing fast, creating offense from our defense, Northweather is going to be a baller, we are building a culture, etc. He hasn’t delivered on any of it. When a coach like Kelvin or Self says something specific about his team, I believe it because they don’t traffic in cliches. With Porter, it seems like everything he says is designed to make the fans feel good about the job he is doing.

It just feels like three years in, we still have no identity. We aren’t a good shooting team. We aren’t a good ball handling team. We don’t make smart, winning plays in the clutch. Our defense doesn’t create turnovers. We don’t smother people like Houston. Our three point defense and rebounding had been good, but even those are coming back to earth against better teams. And with the notable exception of Oweh, have any guys improved year over year? Tanner and Jacob, CJ and Bijan, Los … none of those guys got better from year one to year two.
Sure, what else is he supposed to do in the offseason lol? I’d push back defensively, they’ve been great this year even if metrics looking worse here in conference especially the last week.

No perfect and there’s plenty to criticize, like some of the lineup choices. But the same old talking points about his offseason conduct? Just don’t see their relevance, I can offer that opinion at least haha.

Sure, what else is he supposed to do in the offseason lol? I’d push back defensively, they’ve been great this year even if metrics looking worse here in conference especially the last week.

No perfect and there’s plenty to criticize, like some of the lineup choices. But the same old talking points about his offseason conduct? Just don’t see their relevance, I can offer that opinion at least haha.
I guess I just want him to (a) actually deliver on his offseason talk. If you say you’re going to turn your athletes loose to create havoc, and you actually create a cheesy saying (DCO) that you put on shirts, then DO IT! Or, (b) don’t say anything specific in the offseason. Just say you know that we need to be better and leave it at that. Needless to say, option A is my preference. My read on Moser is that he is by nature a very conservative, risk averse coach. So, when we start playing good teams who can match or surpass us athletically, he reverts to what he knows best, which is playing a style that allows him to have more control of the game. If I were coaching this roster, I’d use Moore and Soares and Oweh to aggressively heat up the ball to try and create turnovers. The more turnovers we force, the more chances we will have to run and not have to play 40 mins of halfcourt offense against really good Big 12 defenses.

I’m rambling, as usual. I just would like to see him try something different sooner rather than later. Cooper is an obvious example sitting on our bench. If we lose both games this week to put us on a four-game skid without him seeing the floor, what the heck are we even doing?

I guess I just want him to (a) actually deliver on his offseason talk. If you say you’re going to turn your athletes loose to create havoc, and you actually create a cheesy saying (DCO) that you put on shirts, then DO IT! Or, (b) don’t say anything specific in the offseason. Just say you know that we need to be better and leave it at that. Needless to say, option A is my preference. My read on Moser is that he is by nature a very conservative, risk averse coach. So, when we start playing good teams who can match or surpass us athletically, he reverts to what he knows best, which is playing a style that allows him to have more control of the game. If I were coaching this roster, I’d use Moore and Soares and Oweh to aggressively heat up the ball to try and create turnovers. The more turnovers we force, the more chances we will have to run and not have to play 40 mins of halfcourt offense against really good Big 12 defenses.

I’m rambling, as usual. I just would like to see him try something different sooner rather than later. Cooper is an obvious example sitting on our bench. If we lose both games this week to put us on a four-game skid without him seeing the floor, what the heck are we even doing?
With you on tweaks, especially so if OU goes on a four game losing streak which is certainly possible in this conference. Going 0-2 has put them in a tough spot this week with two road games for sure especially when they need 5 more wins to feel comfortable about an at large birth (although think they probably get in at 7-9, would’t argue that’s not disappointing)

Team’s pace has increased though undoubtedly. 2022’s & 2021’s KP adjusted tempo was 280+ , ~180 this season. Definitely playing faster.

Back