Big Twelve: a bit early

sybarite

Reaction score
1. Texas: Holmes, Atkins, and McCarty are back. That is a pretty good group to start with. I assume Holmes will be reinstated by Spring. Return some strong reserves and have a good group of newcomers.

2. Baylor: lost Davis, Mompremier, Alexis Jones, and Alexis Prince. That is four of their top five scorers. Also lost Cave. They have Brown, Walllace, Cox, and Chou, but I think Texas has a bit more this year. You just don't lose Davis, Mompremier, Jones, and Prince without pain.

3. Oklahoma: I like Vivi, Maddie, and Gabby about as much as any returning threesome. We have a little depth, not sufficient. The encouraging thing is that the freshmen are good enough to be stronger contributors than our seniors were last year.

4. West Virginia: returns four starters. But, they lost Montgomery around whom much was based. Martin is about as good as any player in the Big Twelve. Muldrow is good. Ray and Pardee are pretty solid. But, WV lost some depth. An eight-man incoming group should provide some help. But, WV needs for board presence from their newcomers. Texas--Baylor--Oklahoma--WV won't be separated by as much as in the past.

5. Iowa State: I think that much of Carleton and Burkhall. The losses of Seanna Johnson and Jadda Buckley were a death knell. Durr will help. Will struggle to maintain fifth.

6. Oklahoma State: Jensen, Coleman, and Wheeler. Holt will help. Need help beyond that. Lost a lot last year due to the lack of competent floor generals. Still lacking. Jensen and Coleman are a force.

7. TCU: four starters back. Still lack height. They can run out about six guards who can play and shoot. But, they can be dominated inside. No size help on the way. Having trouble recruiting posts again this year.

8. Texas Tech: Caldwell, Brewer, Terry, and Olabode. They should be enough. But, they lost a key interior player, and Guirantes, their future star. Lack a little life without her.

9. Kansas: Washington, Cheadle, and Kopatich. That is enough to get out of the cellar. Interesting newcomers. But, they lost a lot to graduation and transfer.

10. Kansas State: They lost Breanna Lewis and Kindred Wesemann. The team was built around them for the past two years. They really don't have replacements. Martin, Middlebrook, and Williams aren't that exciting, and they lost all depth. Depending on newcomers. Their best reserve was kicked off the team. Looking a long way at up.

Good list, but right now I would rank WVA slightly about OU... I think the teams will split, but WVA could beat a team like Baylor, and I’m not sure OU can...

Good list, but right now I would rank WVA slightly about OU... I think the teams will split, but WVA could beat at team like Baylor, and I’m sure OU can...
I think just the reverse. Baylor may be down a bit. But, WV can be burned inside without Montgomery. How do they handle Brown? OU has better balance. I see a split this year.

I definitely think this will be Texas' year to win the Big 12 and possibly start their reign. They just get all the best recruits, along with Baylor that is. If Texas doesnt win it this year I will be surprised and blame it on coaching.
I put Baylor at #2, this will be their most vulnerable year in the past several years in my opinion (watch them dominate now). You just never know with a Kim Mulkey coached team. They definitely have high recruits coming in every year so depending on how hard they worked in off-season maybe some players we didnt see much of last year will step up.
I'm hoping a steady, pesky OU will come in at #3.
Not too sure about the rest of the teams due to graduation and transfers but I would still put West Virginia at #4 and then the rest will follow..

Pretty good list.

Will have to check the rosters, but hard to imagine KSU in last below Tech and Kansas. Mitte is a much better coach than that.

Pretty good list.

Will have to check the rosters, but hard to imagine KSU in last below Tech and Kansas. Mitte is a much better coach than that.
Returning starters:

50 Shaelyn Martin 6-1 Sr G
22 Karyla Middlebrook 5-7 Sr G
11 Peyton Williams 6-4 Soph F

Reserves:

1 Kaylee Page 6-3 Sr F
10 Kayla Goth 6-0 Jr F

Newcomers:

2 Cymone Goodrich 5-10 Fr G #28 HoopGurlz
15 Kali Jones 6-2 Jr F Good JC rebounder
40 Mary Lakes 6-4 Fr C #200 Blue Star
12 Rachel Ranke 6-1 Fr G #58 HoopGurlz
33 Ashley Ray 6-4 Fr C #193 Blue Star
0 Anastasia Tsybaeva 6-7 Jr C
5 Alisa Wiggins 5-8 Fr G

Departures:

Mercedes Brooks 5-11 Soph G Transferred
Breanna Lewis 6-5 P Graduated
Lanie Page 6-3 Jr F Transferred
Jessica Sheble 6-3 F Graduated
Kelly Thompson 5-9 G Graduated
Kindred Wesemann 5-6 G Graduated
Eternati Willock 6-4 Soph F Kicked off team

You have three starters back, as well as two reserves. That's it. Your best returning scorers were 9.12, 6.21, 5.79, andn 3.68 points per game. You just lost Breanna Lewis and Kindred Wesemann, your two dominant stars around whom you had built your team. Probably your best reserve was kicked off the team. Martin, Middlebrook, and Williams just aren't that exciting.

They may have some help among the newcomers. But, they won't be in the class of what they lost. Kansas State may have difficulty keeping up.
Here is the problem that K-State has. They lost their stars, and they really don't have replacements. Lot of turnover. They aren't dead last by much. But, they make a strong case for rigor mortis.

Back