Eric Davis

Testing the waters, haven't signed with an agent:
Zhaire Smith
Kerwin Roach
Lindell Wiggington
Barry Brown
Esa Ahmad
Konate

Kansas is getting absolutely destroyed by the draft. For the second straight season, they will have a significantly weaker team than usual. Of course, t they still won the conference and made the final four this year, so it's probably all irrelevant.

I would expect Zhaire Smith to stay in the draft since he's projected as a lottery pick, which would kill Texas Tech. Texas is also taking a huge hit.

The conference is going to be much, much weaker next year. Assuming Brown doesn't sign with an agent, K-State brings back everyone. West Virginia should be fine as long as their guys come back. TCU loses its two best players. Kansas, Baylor, OSU, and Tech (assuming Smith stays in the draft) lose essentially their entire teams. If Wigginton comes back, Iowa State should be a lot better. Texas kind of depends on what happens with Roach. If he comes back, and the Jones kid comes back from cancer, they should be a decent squad.

Last edited:
Kansas is getting absolutely destroyed by the draft. For the second straight season, they will have a significantly weaker team back.

Kansas has the Lawson brothers next year. They should be a lot better.

Declared and signed with an agent:
Bamba
Trae
Malik Newman
Lagerald Vick
Eric Davis

Testing the waters, haven't signed with an agent:
Zhaire Smith
Kerwin Roach
Lindell Wiggington
Barry Brown
Esa Ahmad
Konate

Kansas is getting absolutely destroyed by the draft. For the second straight season, they will have a significantly weaker team than usual. Of course, t they still won the conference and made the final four this year, so it's probably all irrelevant.

I would expect Zhaire Smith to stay in the draft since he's projected as a lottery pick, which would kill Texas Tech. Texas is also taking a huge hit.

The conference is going to be much, much weaker next year. Assuming Brown doesn't sign with an agent, K-State brings back everyone. West Virginia should be fine as long as their guys come back. TCU loses its two best players. Kansas, Baylor, OSU, and Tech (assuming Smith stays in the draft) lose essentially their entire teams. If Wigginton comes back, Iowa State should be a lot better. Texas kind of depends on what happens with Roach. If he comes back, and the Jones kid comes back from cancer, they should be a decent squad.

Did Dean Wade not say he was going to declare without an agent? I thought I heard that

Kansas will literally destroy the Big 12 next season. They will be much better than this year.

Not to beat a dead horse, but next season will arguably the most talented team Self has had at KU. The draft isn't going to hurt them at all.

Yeah KU also has Charlie Moore

Yeah KU also has Charlie Moore

Didn't realize they had this kid. That helps a lot.

But they are way overcrowded in the frontcourt, and will be relying on guys who haven't really played in the backcourt to replace one of the better backcourts in school history. They will probably win the league once again, because they always do, and the competition isn't great. But K-State could challenge them if everyone is back.

So Tech will lose Zach Smith, Keenan Evans, Norense Odiase, Niem Stevenson, Zhaire Smith, and a few others.

Ouch.

Kansas will win the conference by 3 games next year

Not to beat a dead horse, but next season will arguably the most talented team Self has had at KU. The draft isn't going to hurt them at all.

This is absolutely ridiculous. The 2014 team had Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis, Frank Mason, and Tarik Black. The '08 team had Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sacha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins. The '10 team had Collins, Aldrich, Xavier Henry, the Morris Twins, Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor.

And losing 4 guards, 3 of whom will be drafted, from a final four team isn't going to hurt them at all, you are out of your damn mind.

Having the kid from Cal is a big deal, I didn't realize they had him. But backcourts win in college basketball, and they are thin and inexperienced there. There are only so many minutes for the Lawsons, Doke and De Sousa to play, and if they don't have good guard play, they will lose games to teams they shouldn't.

Duke from this year is a good example. They had all this lottery talent in the paint (who are much better than what Kansas will have this year), but poor guard play caused them to lose games they shouldn't have and ultimately fall short of their lofty preseason expectations.

Again, don't get me wrong, Kansas is not going to fall off a cliff. They will probably win the conference and be a two or three seed, but they will not be as good as this past year's team, and certainly not as good as the 15-16 or 16-17 teams.

Last edited:
KU will be worse. Losing all of those guards hurts. No experience coming back at that position. Bigs will be really good though especially if Azuibike stays.

KU will be worse. Losing all of those guards hurts. No experience coming back at that position. Bigs will be really good though especially if Azuibike stays.

You’re fooling yourself. They may be preseason #1. They will be loaded with talent and depth.

You’re fooling yourself. They may be preseason #1. They will be loaded with talent and depth.

Duke was preseason #1 this year with a similar but more talented roster.

It will all depend on those freshman guards and the Cal transfer. If those guys play at a high level, Kansas will be great. Great big men without good guard play doesn't cut it.

Wow that’s a lot of guys who will be playing overseas in the near future. I’m glad they are leaving though! If wvu loses konate and or esa alognwith senior Jevon Carter, they are going to take a huge step back, too. KU will still easily win the league, though. Is dok not testing the waters? I figured he would be gone too.

A buddy of mine that works in the KU athletic dept, told me a month or so ago, Bill Self has said in private, the guys waiting to play at KU this year would have made a better team than the one they put on the floor. They will be LOADED.

So KU was lacking in talent last year, and now they're as loaded as they've ever been? The hyperbole is strong.

KU was loaded this year, they'll be loaded next year, and they've been loaded every year for quite some team. But this team isn't anything that out of the ordinary. Self has had more talented teams.

We should have beat Memphis with the Lawson brothers. They were good, but not overwhelming, and that was a historically bad OU team.

OU loses 1 main player and 1 role player and may be 8-10 games worse than this past season.
We are just not as deep or on the same playing level of several other Big 12 teams.
Why not?

This is absolutely ridiculous. The 2014 team had Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis, Frank Mason, and Tarik Black. The '08 team had Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sacha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins. The '10 team had Collins, Aldrich, Xavier Henry, the Morris Twins, Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor.

And losing 4 guards, 3 of whom will be drafted, from a final four team isn't going to hurt them at all, you are out of your damn mind.

Having the kid from Cal is a big deal, I didn't realize they had him. But backcourts win in college basketball, and they are thin and inexperienced there. There are only so many minutes for the Lawsons, Doke and De Sousa to play, and if they don't have good guard play, they will lose games to teams they shouldn't.

Duke from this year is a good example. They had all this lottery talent in the paint (who are much better than what Kansas will have this year), but poor guard play caused them to lose games they shouldn't have and ultimately fall short of their lofty preseason expectations.

Again, don't get me wrong, Kansas is not going to fall off a cliff. They will probably win the conference and be a two or three seed, but they will not be as good as this past year's team, and certainly not as good as the 15-16 or 16-17 teams.

How about we agree to revisit this in about 11 months. They will win the league going away, regardless of whether KState returns everyone. And just because you haven't seen several of the guys who will be their best players doesn't mean they aren't great. I bet in six years, as many players on next year's team will have played in the NBA as the teams you mention, with the possibille exception of the national title team. They will be heads and shoulders better than they were this year. Doesn't guarantee they will make the Final Four, but that's true for every team.

Back