BigTime bet updates

DFWHoopster

Reaction score
Hate to even bring this up because BigTime is such a great guy and a class individual... But a bet is a bet.

So here is the countdown for BigTime having to publicly sing the praises of the coaching/player development ability of Scott Drew. I don't remember the parameters behind the Colorado bet with bigabd but he's looking safe there.

The Colorado bet was that CU wouldn't win 6 in league play. They are improved but have dropped a lot of close games. They currently stand at 2-8 and have these six games left:

OU
@KU
@Missouri
Iowa State
@Nebraska
Texas Tech

4 more wins are not out of the realm of possibility but since losses at KU and Missouri seem likely, they have no room for error.

The bet with Baylor was that Baylor wouldn't win 9 conference games. Baylor currently stands at 7-4 and has this remaining:

@OSU
A&M
@OU
@TT
Texas

No easy games in that bunch but they should be able to scrape 2 wins out of that lot.

I took a hit when Colorado lost that heart-breaker to Kansas and at the buzzer in Ames... I would be in great position if they pulled those out. They also lost a very close game to K-State and another to A&M.

I also took a hit when they lost their starting point guard, Shannon Sharpe, for the season when he got hurt in practice before the first game. However, he will come back strong next year and make a great backcourt along with Burks and Higgins.

I took a hit when Colorado lost that heart-breaker to Kansas and at the buzzer in Ames... I would be in great position if they pulled those out. They also lost a very close game to K-State and another to A&M.

I also took a hit when they lost their starting point guard, Shannon Sharpe, for the season when he got hurt in practice before the first game. However, he will come back strong next year and make a great backcourt along with Burks and Higgins.

Never thought I would say this, but I can't believe CU only has two wins...they have played most everybody real tough.

Hate to even bring this up because BigTime is such a great guy and a class individual... But a bet is a bet.

So here is the countdown for BigTime having to publicly sing the praises of the coaching/player development ability of Scott Drew. I don't remember the parameters behind the Colorado bet with bigabd but he's looking safe there.

The Colorado bet was that CU wouldn't win 6 in league play. They are improved but have dropped a lot of close games. They currently stand at 2-8 and have these six games left:

OU
@KU
@Missouri
Iowa State
@Nebraska
Texas Tech

4 more wins are not out of the realm of possibility but since losses at KU and Missouri seem likely, they have no room for error.

The bet with Baylor was that Baylor wouldn't win 9 conference games. Baylor currently stands at 7-4 and has this remaining:

@OSU
A&M
@OU
@TT
Texas

No easy games in that bunch but they should be able to scrape 2 wins out of that lot.

I could definitely see Baylor lose out or only win 1 with that remaining schedule.

I could definitely see Baylor lose out or only win 1 with that remaining schedule.

Baylor's going to roll A&M in Waco. And Baylor has been a pretty consistent road team all year long (wins against UT, Xavier ,Neb, Arizona State, South Carolina, Arkansas along with close losses to Kansas, Colorado, A&M and Alabama). They are one of only 5 teams in the country that hasn't experienced a double digit loss this year.

The OSU vs Baylor match-up will be interesting. Baylor's defense is designed to take away easy looks at the rim and 3 point shots. If a team is able to hit the mid range jumper/floaters with consistency, they can give Baylor lots of problems (both Colorado and Kansas State did this against the Bears). OSU is so wired towards 3 pointers that I don't know if they will be patient enough to get those mid range shots. And if they don't, could be a tough game for them.

When the hell is Higgins going to graduate? My God.

I've always heard rumors Drew was the worst cheat in the Big 12. Anyone have any thoughts?

Wow I know you are new roby so you had no idea but you just opened a huge can of worms with our resident Baylor supporter in DFW.

Wow I know you are new roby so you had no idea but you just opened a huge can of worms with our resident Baylor supporter in DFW.

Oops. Sorry about that. I'd heard those rumors for some time. Today while driving around I was listening to the Tulsa Sports Animal and the guys were talking about it and how none of the Big 12 coaches like him because they think he is the biggest cheat. When I saw the thing on Baylor I just thought to ask.

When the hell is Higgins going to graduate? My God.

just a JR. bigabd had some bad luck and didn't get any help with Bzdelik's very poor last second possessions against ISU and KU. CU had a real chance with KSU in Boulder, too.

though, i don't fault the L to KU. they are #1 and have CU's number.

that said, i'll be surprised if CU doesn't get win #3 tonight.

just a JR. bigabd had some bad luck and didn't get any help with Bzdelik's very poor last second possessions against ISU and KU. CU had a real chance with KSU in Boulder, too.

though, i don't fault the L to KU. they are #1 and have CU's number.

that said, i'll be surprised if CU doesn't get win #3 tonight.

You going?

OU
@KU
@Missouri
Iowa State
@Nebraska
Texas Tech

@OSU
A&M
@OU
@TT
Texas

I try to be man of my word (even when hiding behind a keyboard), so if/when Baylor wins nine, then I will carry out my side of the bet.

Baylor has been much better than I thought going into this year and Ekpe has had a "Tim Duncan" like effect for your bears.

It is looking like I was wrong and you were right, DFW. I might even sport a Scott Drew avatar for a month....

-BT

I've always heard rumors Drew was the worst cheat in the Big 12. Anyone have any thoughts?

soonerroby- I'll give you the cliff notes version. It's a four-step process:

1. Rival schools tell Baylor recruits, "Don't go there. They kill black basketball players."

2. Drew employs legal but aggressive recruiting techniques in response. He tows the line because Baylor has hired private investigators to monitor coaches to make sure there are no repeats of the Bliss fiasco.

3. No one cares until Drew starts landing good players.

4. They start to care more and more as Drew has put together three straight 20 winning seasons in a row.

But some of these coaches need to start building bridges with Drew. They might need his help when they are looking for a job.

Big Time- you're the man. I knew you would keep your word! You are an outstanding human being!

Last edited:
soonerroby- I'll give you the cliff notes version. It's a four-step process:

1. Rival schools tell Baylor recruits, "Don't go there. They kill black basketball players."

2. Drew employs legal but aggressive recruiting techniques in response. He tows the line because Baylor has hired private investigators to monitor coaches to make sure there are no repeats of the Bliss fiasco.

3. No one cares until Drew starts landing good players.

4. They start to care more and more as Drew has put together three straight 20 winning seasons in a row.

But some of these coaches need to start building bridges with Drew. They might need his help when they are looking for a job.

Big Time- you're the man. I knew you would keep your word! You are an outstanding human being!

You forgot the mention about Drew being on the left side of God with Tebow to his right ;)

What are your thoughts on Perry Jones? How big of an impact do you think he'll make next year?

From what I've read he's a case of looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane and needs to become much more assertive and use his tremendous skills.

I've seen Perry play about 6 times. He's not assertive. I will be surprised if he's a one and done personally. He doesn't have the killer instinct of a guy like Kevin Durant. He reminds me more of a Greg Monroe at Georgetown- not as strong inside but a much better ball handler and all around smoother game.

If Udoh returns and I think it is 50/50 that he will return, then Perry will benefit greatly from his mentorship. Perry is a unique talent and that is why he's a high NBA prospect. He's explosive. He has great handles. He passes well and understands the game. He blocks a lot of shots. He's fast. The NBA scouts have compared him to Tracy McGrady in his prime. The only thing missing is the fire. If Drew gets him to play aggressive, he will be a difference maker.

He will be a very good college player either way. His skills are too good to not have an impact. Even if Udoh leaves, I wouldn't expect a huge dropoff. They are very high on Cory Jefferson who hasn't played much. They will still be long and athletic inside with Acy, Anthony Jones, Jefferson and Perry Jones.

Back