blake and taylor's leadership

cowboysooner

Reaction score
First, we are playing a bunch of freshman that are playing like freshman. So, I think we have to put this team in perspective. They are going to lose a bunch of games. The issue for them will be how they play in conference and over the last 10 games. It is just too early to tell.

Second, we don't have an athletic 4 that can guard man to man. So, Capel has to play 2 bigs and a zone, which he doesn't like to do due to everyone's ability to hit the 3, or play crocker at the 4 and be small, and of course, pay for that in ways. We are what we are and we will just have to make due. Losing Juan was really big, as he was a kid that could guard the 4.

Third and most importantly, we heard Jeff say numerous times last year that the best thing about Blake was that it was nice that his best player was his hardest worker and a leader. Taylor was tough and a leader as well. We certainly miss their inside presence, but right now we have the exact opposite situation. Our best player is lazy at times, doesn't work on defense at times and just isn't a leader.

I'm not sure we don't miss the Griffins leadership as much as their play. Can you imagine what Blake would be saying to the guys if he saw the lack of defensive effort and intelligence that they are playing with.

Lastly, I have really developed a great appreciation for Croc. A true senior. He is playing out of position for the team and trying his best to be a leader for the team. However, it is tough to play this role when you aren't the best player. He is trying and he will always be one of my favorites for putting the team first. He stayed when all others left and now, for the benefit of the team, he is playing out of position in his senior year. Sometimes, I wonder if we have asked too much of Tony.

Back