Butler Game

jaymOU

Reaction score
I know the 3-2 zone gave OU fits against Butler, but I feel like when Cortes is in the game, the offense seems to run a little smoother. He needs to shoot when he is open, but I love his floor game and think he can really grow into a great player.

I would have liked to see CJ play more too. He is the second best perimeter shooter (IMO) and against the 3-2 zone, he would have been a good option.

Fortunately, most coaches in the Big 12 will not play zone, so, hopefully, OU won't see it too much in the future.

Hoping this is a loss that will not come back to bite them in the butt, but it might as they look to make the tourney. Beating Arky this weekend would really help!

I think beating Arkansas would more than make up for Tuesday. But man, I watched them play KSU and they look really good, and a bad matchup for us. Don’t like our chances at all. Hope I’m wrong!

I thought it was interesting that Mosner said in his post-game that they worked on the zone a lot prior to the Butler game - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/cri...ame/vi-AARAAzb

"...we've worked so much on getting the ball in the middle of the zone...we literally worked on it for 3-4 days...every day we did a zone segment in practice...even though they've (Butler) only played 8 possessions (of zone) all year, we felt if we were really getting our man going, they were going to go to that zone..."

He went on to comment further about what Butler did and what he expected his team to do.

This time it was the zone that gave us fits, but late game execution has been an issue all season. It has cost us two games already, and we were barely able to hold on at UCF, and also saw Florida make a late run that we had to hold off. It really hurts not having a guard who can not only handle the ball, but create for himself and teammates. Moser is undoubtedly hoping someone can step into that role, but I’m not sure who that would be. I agree with some posters who think a couple of the freshman might be that guy down the road, but I don’t know if they are there yet.

Went to the Butler game. We had the game in control until Butler went to a zone. They put a big on top and we just didn't get it figured out. This being said, I am not sure the idea that we didn't figure it out is entirely correct. We got a number of good shots, albeit from 3 land, during the dry stretch, they just didn't go down.

Basketball can be simple sometimes. You have to make shots, or at least more than the other team. Our shots during the last 5 minutes were as good as theirs, we just didn't knock them down.

I am very pleased with the team and the kids he has brought in. There is a pattern of not putting teams away with 5 or so minutes left. We have had a lead with five minutes to go in the last four games, and we are 2 and 2. Could have won or lost all of them.

I have watched all of these games. A little different situations in each. We are improving in my view in how we are handling these end game situations. But, you still have to make shots to win.

If you just want to complain, I think you could argue Jacob Groves should have played a little more in the second half when they went to their zone. You could also argue we were more effective when Crafty Cortes was running the point. But for me, I like the current rotations.

I think we are getting better and will certainly meet expectations, if not exceed them by years end.

Love Moser.

I like moser as well… it’s 9 games into his first season with 9 new guys… only 2 start though… but everyone is new to him so guess there’s that.

I disagree that our ****s were good against the zone… MOST were 3’s… low % shot… even if wide open.

We didn’t move without the ball, didn’t try to offset the def with numbers, very rarely got it in the post…

Horrible outing against the zone, on our end. Worked great for butler because we settled for 3’s most of the time.

We had one possession, just before the two-minute mark where Goldwire and Noland (I think it was those two guys) just passed it back and forth a half-dozen times outside the arc right in front of our bench. The ball literally didn't cross the three-point line, much less inside the paint, or make it to the other side of the court before a three-point shot was launched. One of the worst offensive possessions I ever hope to see.

I like moser as well… it’s 9 games into his first season with 9 new guys… only 2 start though… but everyone is new to him so guess there’s that.

I disagree that our ****s were good against the zone… MOST were 3’s… low % shot… even if wide open.

We didn’t move without the ball, didn’t try to offset the def with numbers, very rarely got it in the post…

Horrible outing against the zone, on our end. Worked great for butler because we settled for 3’s most of the time.

I agree that our zone offense was awful, but if you think wide open threes are not good shots, you probably should just stop watching the sport. I realize it’s not the way many people grew up playing or watching the sport, but open threes taken by good shooters are very efficient. There is a reason teams try to maximize layups and open threes and minimize all other shots. Our best shooter missed two or three wide open looks during that stretch. Those were far and away the best shots we had against the zone. The rest of the possessions were beyond terrible.

I agree that our zone offense was awful, but if you think wide open threes are not good shots, you probably should just stop watching the sport. I realize it’s not the way many people grew up playing or watching the sport, but open threes taken by good shooters are very efficient. There is a reason teams try to maximize layups and open threes and minimize all other shots. Our best shooter missed two or three wide open looks during that stretch. Those were far and away the best shots we had against the zone. The rest of the possessions were beyond terrible.

I agree that Gibson won’t always miss as many like that. But you could tell the guys, including Gibson, were not in good rhythm when shooting most of those shots because our ball movement was terrible. I had the feeling they often didn’t want to take the shot either. I think we will see better efforts going forward. I suspect Moser didn’t sleep well that night. Arky will probably beat us just based on talent but I expect a much better effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had one possession, just before the two-minute mark where Goldwire and Noland (I think it was those two guys) just passed it back and forth a half-dozen times outside the arc right in front of our bench. The ball literally didn't cross the three-point line, much less inside the paint, or make it to the other side of the court before a three-point shot was launched. One of the worst offensive possessions I ever hope to see.

I know the exact possession you're referring to, sky. It was straight up painful. No dribbling, no movement. Just two dudes passing it back and forth outside of the 3-pt line.

To somewhat play devil's advocate, we lost the Utah State game because we had a late lead and started jacking up 3s early in the shot clock. I'm sure Moser (rightfully) hammered home that we should be using more clock to preserve our leads late in the game. But we blew our late lead to Florida by letting the air out of the ball instead of running the offense, and our offense completely sputtered late again against Butler (though, as discussed, Butler's zone is very much to blame for that). We need to find a happy medium with burning clock while still getting good shots.

This team is still very much a work in progress. I don't know how good they will be this year, but they look like a
team that will get the "big dance" I do like the coach

Last edited:
If Gibson had only made 2 of those last 5 misses of his it most likely would have been a different outcome.

lol...ok

let me know when the % gets above 40 for the team. There's a REASON they went zone.

14 out of 350 D-1 teams shoot 40% or better from three. OU has only hit that mark once in the last twenty years. Saying we didn't attack the zone properly and that if Gibson has an average night we probably win are both valid arguments.

14 out of 350 D-1 teams shoot 40% or better from three. OU has only hit that mark once in the last twenty years. Saying we didn't attack the zone properly and that if Gibson has an average night we probably win are both valid arguments.

I’ll agree with that. My issue is relying on the 3 and doing an absolute crap job on attacking the zone

Back