Can I Use the soapbox?

TishSooner

Reaction score
I'm a lurker and not a poster, but may I give my perspective of OU's basketball. I fail to post, not because I'm a novice. I coached high school basketball for 30 years, and I have a state coaches hall of fame card in my wallet. I don't state this to brag, but since I have so few post, maybe it will cause two or three posters to ease up on the criticism.

I have seen these situations many times. Often, not from he stands, but, from the bench. one thing you cannot teach is experience. Right now these players are trying to do a good job and they are "thinking", and a thinking player is going to get beat at either offence or defense. The more experience they get the less thinking they will do and will begin to start reacting. To a player with a high level of talent, experience will cause less thinking and more reacting, and with that comes a higher degree of performance. And that, my friends, is where we are headed. Maybe not as fast as some of us want, but we will get there.

Many of our posters need to set back and inventory what is in store for OU basketball fans in the future. For instance, during the first game we sawTiny's one hand slam of an alley oop. Once he settles in there will be more and more highlight plays from him. I can only imagine what TMG will come up with during the next four years to feed the post, score, etc. And Pledge's 3 pointers. I really expect to see him break the school record.

We have a ride in front of us that only a few fans witness. I'm going to enjoy this ride. I didn't like getting beat by VCU. To be honest, our team's play was depressing, but I know these things are going to happen, especially to an inexperienced team. I'll withstand the poor times and cheer like heck during the good. All in all, I'M expecting one of the best rides in OU history.

Thanks for letting me use the soapbox for a few minutes. But I will be out there lurking behind each post you guys and gals make.

I'm enjoying the ride. I didn't like getting beat by VCU.

Fine post. I didn't really expect to beat VCU on their court with a young team. But, I must admit that i was disappointed that one of the least effective players on the team was a sophomore rather than a freshman. It was also obvious that our upperclassmen had more poise.

You're gonna have to post more often, always nice to have a good opinion from someone with tons of basketball experience...

How is experience the problem for WW, Crocker, Davis, Wright, Allen, and Willis? Maybe Willis b/c he didn't play much last year, but still. He should "understand" how Coach wants to play defense as a team, yet he is still horrible.

Much like the football team, the pieces just aren't there. Pieces for what exactly? Not sure. I don't think the pieces are there to finish in the top 2-3 in the conference. I think we'll fall to 4th or 5th, which given the roster we have, is about right. If this team gets it together and finishes 3rd or higher, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. I just think we're a horse short of being able to do that.

How is experience the problem for WW, Crocker, Davis, Wright, Allen, and Willis? Maybe Willis b/c he didn't play much last year, but still. He should "understand" how Coach wants to play defense as a team, yet he is still horrible.

Much like the football team, the pieces just aren't there. Pieces for what exactly? Not sure. I don't think the pieces are there to finish in the top 2-3 in the conference. I think we'll fall to 4th or 5th, which given the roster we have, is about right. If this team gets it together and finishes 3rd or higher, I'll be the first to say I was wrong. I just think we're a horse short of being able to do that.

You also think a freshman that is averaging a double double is not good. Thanks for your opinion, I will file in the same garbage can with your comment about Tiny Gallon not being good when he has averaged 12 and 12 in his first three games.

Seriously, only a fool or bitter, angry person would make such a comment.

You also think a freshman that is averaging a double double is not good. Thanks for your opinion, I will file in the same garbage can with your comment about Tiny Gallon not being good when he has averaged 12 and 12 in his first three games.

Seriously, only a fool or bitter, angry person would make such a comment.

And I thought you were smart enough to know that using averages after THREE games is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE way of evaluating a player. He is THE only big man we have that is really even college-average at this point. Because of that, he is going to get his stats. And I never said he is "not good". My biggest complain about Tiny is that you can tell he isn't anywhere near comfortable working in the post, back to the basket. It isn't his fault, his last coach let him get away with it. But if Capel isn't going to use Tiny as we used Ace, it is going to limit what he can do. And yes, defensively he's been below average. He isn't alone, but he has been pretty bad.

And I thought you were smart enough to know that using averages after THREE games is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE way of evaluating a player.

Only good stats with a small sample size are relevant.

Its in the standard issue fan manual.

TISHSOONER please post more often. I'm sorry your post was robbed by the boo birds, but we all agree with your analysis. THE PROGRAM IS GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! Great post man. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Much like the football team, the pieces just aren't there.

:ez-laugh: The football team...you of all people should know it takes time to figure out if "the pieces" are there. You scoffed at the notion the football team would lose 4-5 games. Now you know what the hoops team will do after 3 games? Please. I have a feeling you will be just as wrong about the hoops team as you were the football team.
The hoops team is fine. The sky is not falling.

The hoops team is fine. The sky is not falling.

Define that.

Because after every post I've made over the last two days, I've stated that I fully expect this team to finish 4th or 5th, and make the Dance. I simply don't think we'll finish 3rd. That is it. I think we have too many role players, too many holes, not enough depth inside, and that some guys are going to take a little longer to develop, for various reasons.

We'll still be a pretty good team at the end of the year, I just don't think we're a 3rd place in the Big 12, top 25 team. I've said numerous times also that it wouldn't shock me if I were wrong, but I see things that I believe will keep us from getting there.

Sorry this thread is getting jacked, Tish.

Great post. You and Edmond have both knocked 'em out of the park with your analysis. Thank you. :clap

TishSooner your words are filled with wisdom and experience. Thanks for providing this board with a much needed positive tilt.

Sorry Tish, but your HOF card seems to pale in comparison to some posters' internet message board HOF monikers. The football team sucked it up this season, so expect to see a bunch of "fans" that really have no clue about bball and think that putting 3 McD AA's means that you should be in the top 10 and blow every non-ranked team out.

Great Post, thanks a little common sense goes a long way

Great job I totally agree with you. These freshman bumps will pay off big in a couple of years.

Back