Capel and his staff

DenverSooner

Reaction score
We know they can recruit very well. I sure hope they can coach too. The first year at OU, they failed to the make the post season. We all let that go on the theory that he took over in a rough situation (really no rougher than Tubbs or Sampson but it was a rough situation). He then had pretty experienced teams his next two seasons, plus Blake Griffin.

If he does not make the tournament this year, I am going to worry about his ability to coach defense at Big XII level. There is just no excuse for a team as talented as this team not winning. This is the most/best high school talent that has been at OU at any time I can recall.

WW - MCDAA
Gallon - MCDAA
TMG - MCDAA
Ryan Wright - Top 50
Ray Willis - Top 100
Pledger - Top 100
Crocker - Top 75
Orlando Allen - ???
Cade Davis - Second best player in the State of Oklahoma (behind Blake)
Hardrick - ???

Perhaps Capel and his guys should have gotten an experienced juco. I know they were probably thinking they would have Pattillo but this level of play is not going to cut it at OU.

Now the good thing is OU only loses Crocker, Warren and Wright. Next year they should have experience and be improved but I sure hope they can things turned around thi season

I'll reserve judgement until later on in the season until I can see how this team develops. But I'll say this: I really hope we don't come out tonight and play man defense.

The problem with OU's high-level talent (Warren and Gallon) is that one is a volume shooter in the bad way (at least he has been this year), and the other plays horrific defense. Both have attitude problems, and they had those same problems in high school. Willie has been pouting, whining, sulking and Gallon had to be benched last night for behavioral problems...

Capel and his staff got the highest rated guys they could find, but so far this season it has come with a price. They have not proven to be team-first players, and hopefully that changes or OU is going to lose a lot of games this year.

Perhaps Capel and his guys should have gotten an experienced juco. I know they were probably thinking they would have Pattillo but this level of play is not going to cut it at OU.

Of course they should have went out and got a junior college player or two. OU has avoided stuff like this since the Big 12 was formed by recruiting tough, defensive-minded, talented junior college players. If OU was going to be young under Sampson you can bet he had someone like Everett, Mcghee, Neal, Johnson, White, etc to make sure OU was still going to be older, experienced, and ready to play on offense and defense.

I watched Capel Coach for 4 years at VCU...and while I'll admit he does a good job as a recruiter (see: Maynor, Eric...Griffin, Blake), once he gets the guys in the door he has a tough time knowing what to do with him.

Fortunately for you guy's Blake was so talented the coaching didn't seem to matter much. He's a guy that to be quite honest just "got it", knew he could post 20 and 10 every night by simply hanging around the basket.

Unfortunately for you guys a Blake Griffin type athlete comes around everyone once in a blue moon, (hell for us, he barely even played Eric... arguably the best player in our history. Anthony Grant inherited him and a team that lost our best player at the time, Nick George, and took a team predicted to finish 6th in our conference to the 2nd round on the NCAA tournament, knocking out Duke and almost Pitt).

If your a fan of watching guys wonder around aimlessly, ...looking for the first available 3, you'll be a fan of Jeff's coaching. Unfortunately for both our teams (our RPI...we were also hangin our had on you guys as a resume builder), I too think this will be a long year for the Sooner's (it ain't gettin any easier in the Big 12 folks)...

I watched Capel Coach for 4 years at VCU...and while I'll admit he does a good job as a recruiter (see: Maynor, Eric...Griffin, Blake), once he gets the guys in the door he has a tough time knowing what to do with him.

Fortunately for you guy's Blake was so talented the coaching didn't seem to matter much. He's a guy that to be quite honest just "got it", knew he could post 20 and 10 every night by simply hanging around the basket.

Unfortunately for you guys a Blake Griffin type athlete comes around everyone once in a blue moon, (hell for us, he barely even played Eric... arguably the best player in our history. Anthony Grant inherited him and a team that lost our best player at the time, Nick George, and took a team predicted to finish 6th in our conference to the 2nd round on the NCAA tournament, knocking out Duke and almost Pitt).

If your a fan of watching guys wonder around aimlessly, ...looking for the first available 3, you'll be a fan of Jeff's coaching. Unfortunately for both our teams (our RPI...we were also hangin our had on you guys as a resume builder), I too think this will be a long year for the Sooner's (it ain't gettin any easier in the Big 12 folks)...

I was surprised by the loss.
I didn't see the game;but, it is on replay.

Reserve constructive comment until then.

Was it really the coach's fault?

Back