Capel: Baylor is more talented than us

SKSooner

Reaction score
In his radio interview after the game, Capel said that Baylor was more talented than Oklahoma.

What do you make of this? If true, this doesn't make me feel good about the ability of this team to turn things around...

Baylor has more seasoned players.

This is a bigger isue.

Tweety- senior
Lace- junior
Udoh- 4th year junior
Lomers- senior
Jones- soph
Acy- soph

Their primary players are seasoned veterans. Tweety, Lace, and Udoh (the big 3) have been playing starter minutes at the d-1 level for 3-4 years now.

This is a bigger isue.

Tweety- seniorLace- juniorUdoh- 4th year junior
Lomers- senior
Jones- soph
Acy- soph
Their primary players are seasoned veterans. Tweety, Lace, and Udoh (the big 3) have been playing starter minutes at the d-1 level for 3-4 years now.

That's what I meant.

This is a bigger isue.

Tweety- senior
Lace- junior
Udoh- 4th year junior
Lomers- senior
Jones- soph
Acy- soph

I thought Udoh was a bench player at Michigan, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that Tweety and Lace have started for at least 3 years.

I thought Udoh was a bench player at Michigan, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that Tweety and Lace have started for at least 3 years.

Udoh was a starter at Michigan. He broke Chris Webber's single season blocked shots record his sophomore year. He was first team all-big 10 defense.

Anyone that has a team is more talented that us.

Udoh was a starter at Michigan. He broke Chris Webber's single season blocked shots record his sophomore year. He was first team all-big 10 defense.

Thanks for the info. Do you know why he transferred?

Looks like Scott Drew is bringing out the best in this young man.

Thanks for the info. Do you know why he transferred?

Looks like Scott Drew is bringing out the best in this young man.

Tommy Amaker recruited him and then got fired. New Michigan coach John Beilein runs an offense that prefers their post players be able to shoot 3's well (Pittsnogle) or get their points off put-backs and back door cuts. Udoh just felt it was not a good fit for him. He gave it a year and wasn't developing. He played great defense but was an afterthought offensively- 6 pts; 5 rebounds.

Drew convinced him that Baylor would use his skills effectively on offense and that he would log heavy minutes. Obviously it has been a good move for him. He went from an NBA afterthought to a projected 1st round pick.

Tweety Carter also deserves a lot of credit for recruiting Ekpe to Baylor. Ekpe cited his chemistry with Carter as a key reason why he chose Baylor over OU, OSU and Arkansas.

Without a dictionary, I cant check on the precise difference between "talented" and experienced, but I'm sure there is a difference. Capel said "more talented". Interesting. I would have thought he would have said "more experienced". I take it then that WW, Tiny, TMG, Crocker are second tier type players. And I thought they were top tier. I'm disappointed in him saying that and, if true, in his recruiting. One or the other.

Whatever he said...I can just assume he meant "better". He doesn't want to say better because it sounds worse than "talented". Either way, it's kind of an excuse, but maybe he knows his team believes themselves to be more talented and this the upteenth way to try to get this team motivated.

Baylor has zero top 30 high school players on their roster. Oklahoma has three. I guess it all depends on how you define talent.

I see what you did there. First, let's cut off the list at 30 instead of 50, which a lot of Baylor players were in the top 50. Second, Carter was ranked pretty low but was a McD AA. On a side note, where is Nolan Dennis?

Baylor has zero top 30 high school players on their roster. Oklahoma has three. I guess it all depends on how you define talent.

I define talent by what someone does or has done on the floor, not by what some recruiting geek tells me. By that standard, Baylor is clearly more talented than Oklahoma is this year and it's not even close.

I define talent by what someone does or has done on the floor, not by what some recruiting geek tells me. By that standard, Baylor is clearly more talented than Oklahoma is this year and it's not even close.

+1

Recruiting shouldn't be rated till the players get on the floor and prove something.

I know that I saw a couple of long, athletic 6'10" guys that could run the floor and alter shots. Baylor has a BUNCH of talent on that roster. Good for them.

I see what you did there. First, let's cut off the list at 30 instead of 50, which a lot of Baylor players were in the top 50. Second, Carter was ranked pretty low but was a McD AA. On a side note, where is Nolan Dennis?

It is a fair point. I would agree that overall Baylor has a more complete and talented roster. But I do think OU has two pros- Warren and Gallon. Baylor has one pro on their roster- Udoh.

Nolan Dennis is getting some time- 8-10 minutes most games. He shows promise but he has been careless with the ball at times and therefore his opportunities have been limited. He's also playing behind Carter and Dunn.

You probably know where I am heading. I just think every time teams like UT, KSU, Kansas, OSU win they say, "Man, that Self, Barnes, Martin, Ford, whoever can coach." When Baylor wins they say, "Man, Baylor has a lot of talent."

Well Baylor's talent is not better than those other teams. Maybe a little better than OSU but not much. Drew can coach and does a good job bringing out the strengths in his roster. Now that he has a complete roster I think you are seeing the fruits of that this year.

Back