Capel Retention Rate and the APR

Speedy17

Reaction score
A biggest deal with Capel is the fact that Capel even with a lousy basketball team doesn't keep players around. There is no doubt that we will lose scholarships because of our APR.

Keith Clark - Left
Bobby Maze - Left
Tony Crocker - Graduated

Cade Davis - Should Graduate
Blake Griffin - NBA
Omar Leary - Graduated
Tony Nesmith - Left
Chris Early - Left

Orlando Allen - Left
Kyle Cannon - Left
Juan Patillo - Left
Willie Warren - NBA
Ray Willis - Left

Andrew Fitzgerald - Starting
Steven Pledger - On Roster
Kyle Hardrick - On Roster
Tiny Gallon - Left
Tommy Mason Griffin - Left

Abdul Ahmed - Left
Cameron Clark - Starting
Tyler Neal - Starting
Calvin Newell - On Roster
T J Taylor - Left
Nick Thompson - On Roster
C. J. Washington - On Roster

Total
25 Recruits
12 Left the Program
2 Left for the NBA

14 out of 25 or 56% of the recruits that Capel has brought to OU have left before graduating.

This is why Capel should be fired!!!!

I don't know that is why Capel should be fired but it is a huge reason why OU is so bad. Way too much turnover. My point is, if Capel was winning with that turnover, I don't think it would be an issue.

A biggest deal with Capel is the fact that Capel even with a lousy basketball team doesn't keep players around. There is no doubt that we will lose scholarships because of our APR.

I'd hate to let facts get in the way of your Fire Capel based on APR campaign, but it's my understanding that players leaving only hurt our APR if they leave when academically ineligible.

Last edited:
Either way its not like other teams are losing 56% of their players every 5 years like him. Thats pathetic. I realize transfer numbers are up everywhere but that much? I highly doubt it. If he was winning this would still bother me but you could look past it. The fact he is losing and losing bad is unacceptable. He is not a good recruiter because the 3 Top 150 kids we have on our roster don't look like that to me. We have a big man who I'm not even sure he can dunk it. We have what seems like 1 guy other than Osby who can slam it down. WE just look like we don't have any talent yet we have 3 top 150 players. That tells me that he obviously is spending too much time checking recruiting services and they are getting it wrong or hes a horrible evaluator of talent. I'll say its a little bit of both. I've seen more talent in pick up games in the YMCA then I do on our team. JMHO.

APR or no APR, Capel having a 44% rate of players staying around that are for the most part not NBA players, you are not going to win.

He has failed in running the program.

I'd hate to let facts get in the way of your Fire Capel based on APR campaign, but it's my understanding that players leaving only hurt our APR if they leave when academically ineligible.

this is true. From my understanding as long as you have fulfilled all NCAA requirements for your Classification (Freshman sophomore, etc) and were eligible the semester you left, then you don't hurt the APR. So TMG and Keith Clark do, i don't know about the others though

Last edited:
If you want to say the turnover has really hurt the program on the court, then go ahead.

Don't mention the APR if you don't know how it works.

Most definitely the turnover is what is truly hurting us and piss poor coaching/recruiting abilities. I mean what are we good at? Rebounding, shooting, defense, asst??? None of them. We are close to and are dead last in most statistical categories. That is why he should be fired.

If you want to say the turnover has really hurt the program on the court, then go ahead.

Don't mention the APR if you don't know how it works.

I don't know where you guys got the thought that players leaving don't count against the APR but you are wrong. The following is a direct quote for how it is calculated and Retention Points are a big part of the calculation.

"Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score."

Yes, this means that Abdul Ahmed and TJ Taylor count against us. This means that TMG was a 0-2. It means Juan Pattillo was 0 -2. It means that Keith Clark was a 0-2. This also means that players leaving for the NBA count against you (aka. Blake, he is 1-1 he was ok academically but did not return). However, the real problem guys are the ones who are not passing or blow off the last semester and leave like TMG or Pattillo.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Academics/Division+I/How+is+APR+calculated

This is why what I stated to start the thread is absolutely correct.

Last edited:
Back