Colorado paper mentions Aziz Ndiaye

thebigabd

Reaction score
The Buffs are close -- but still about 7 feet away.

That`s 7 feet as in a legitimate big man, as in someone who could help prevent the Buffs from getting brushed out of the paint every time a loose ball comes off the glass.

Someone, for instance, who could have rebounded a Texas A&M miss in the final minute of Saturday`s loss in College Station. Someone who could have prevented A&M`s Bryan Davis from going up, grabbing the miss and slamming home the tie-breaking bucket.

Someone -- anyone -- who would at least challenge 6-6 Alec Burks for the role as the Buffs` leading rebounder.

None of this, of course, is news to Bzdelik. Every time the Buff coach has a free moment, he`s chasing a big man, preferably one who could come in and play right away next year. Every time he watches his undersized team get whacked on the boards -- which is just about every time they hit the floor, particularly in the Big 12 -- he steps up his resolve to land the answer.

Certainly, Bzdelik and his staff have their eyes on a few.

Aziz Ndiaye, a 7-0, 250-pounder from the College of Southern Idaho, has Colorado listed among his choices -- along with Duke, Oklahoma, Oregon State and Washington. No doubt, Ndiaye, a native of Senegal, would be a nice fit for the Buffs.

Last year, Ndiaye led CSI`s league in offensive rebounds and was No. 2 in blocked shots.

Next year, Ndiaye in the middle of the CU`s lineup would turn the Buffs into a very formidable squad. Put an inside presence next to Burks, Cory Higgins, Marcus Relphorde and what would be a very nice supporting cast, and the Buffs would most certainly not be picked to finish at the bottom of the Big 12
But worrying about next year with 11 conference games still to go this year is a little premature. The Buffs must somehow, someway figure out how to cure at least some of their ills now.

If they can, there`s still a chance for a decent finish.

It`s not as if the Buffs don`t practice rebounding. It`s not as if they don`t talk about it. As Bzdelik said after Saturday`s loss, "That has been our Achilles heel and it`s something we have to correct, obviously, if we want to get to where we want to get to. I know I sound like a broken record."

But in the heat of the moment, the Buffs don`t remember the music. They don`t execute the things they`ve practiced and practiced and practiced. And, while some size inside would definitely help, it also appears as if it`s not the only thing the Buffs are lacking.

Wes Unseld was listed at 6-7 in his NBA playing days -- yet was one of the best rebounders the game has ever seen. Charles Barkley was generously listed at 6-6, yet still averaged double-figure rebounds for his career.

Then there`s Burks, the slender 6-6 Buff freshman. Burks is averaging almost six rebounds per game -- and isn`t even close to being the tallest player on his team.

Some of rebounding is instinct. Some of it is technique. Some of it is luck.

But ask maybe one of the best rebounders who ever played the game, a guy who led the NBA for seven consecutive seasons, and his secret was a simple one.

"I`m hungrier than those other guys out there," 6-8 Dennis Rodman once said. "Every rebound is a personal challenge."

With 11 games still remaining on the conference schedule, the Buffs still have a shot at qualifying for a postseason tournament. They still have a legitimate chance to pick up a handful of wins and hit .500 for the season.

But unless they develop the hunger of someone like Rodman, unless they start taking every rebound as a personal challenge, it`s not likely that the Buffs will find themselves dining at any postseason tables this year.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14261504

Apparently Steve Mcclain (a good juco recruiter) and Bzdelik are all over Aziz, and he is their #1 target.

I thought they were already set for the next 4 years because of Shane Harris-Tunks?

I thought they were already set for the next 4 years because of Shane Harris-Tunks?

Yea.... about that.

He is REALLY raw right now, and Bzdelik said as much before the season started.

The Australian basketball youth system just isn't what it used to be . . .

adb, who would you rather see end up wit Ndiaye. I would rather see OU get this kid or CU? I like the potential things that he could help us with defensively. I'm curious as to his mobility. I would love to see youtube clips of his play.

Back