Conference 3 Point Defense

TheGimper

Reaction score
I've always felt like the team's 3 point defense has been atrocious, but I was curious to see how bad it was. We're currently 9th in the conference in defensive percentage and have allowed more made 3s than any other team in the conference (this includes all games played, not just conference).

Conference Breakdown:
The first column is percentage. The second column how many they made per game compared to their season average. Bolded stats are above that team's season average.
@TCU 42%, -0.9
OSU 32%, 1.1
@WVU 26%, -1.1
Tech 24%, -0.9
TCU 36%, 3.1
@KSU 52%, 1.5
@ OSU 30%, 1.1
Kansas 31%, 0.0
Baylor 52%, 8.2!
@Texas 36%, 2.0
WVU 36%, 0.2
@ISU 41%, -0.4
@Tech 52%, 4.1
Texas 38%, 1.0

As you can see the 3 point D has been pretty bad during the start of conference play, but starting with the Baylor game it has been truly abysmal.

I'm curious as to why you guys might think it's so bad. It's not because guys are packing the paint for a rebound. We're an average rebounding team (currently 5th in the conference in margin). And we're not great at defending the paint either.

It's weird to me because with Lattin and McNeace's reputation as shot blockers, one might think our guards and the 4 position might spend more time defending the three point line, but that's obviously not the case.

I've always felt like the team's 3 point defense has been atrocious, but I was curious to see how bad it was. We're currently 9th in the conference in defensive percentage and have allowed more made 3s than any other team in the conference (this includes all games played, not just conference).

Conference Breakdown:
The first column is percentage. The second column how many they made per game compared to their season average. Bolded stats are above that team's season average.
@TCU 42%, -0.9
OSU 32%, 1.1
@WVU 26%, -1.1
Tech 24%, -0.9
TCU 36%, 3.1
@KSU 52%, 1.5
@ OSU 30%, 1.1
Kansas 31%, 0.0
Baylor 52%, 8.2!
@Texas 36%, 2.0
WVU 36%, 0.2
@ISU 41%, -0.4
@Tech 52%, 4.1
Texas 38%, 1.0

As you can see the 3 point D has been pretty bad during the start of conference play, but starting with the Baylor game it has been truly abysmal.

I'm curious as to why you guys might think it's so bad. It's not because guys are packing the paint for a rebound. We're an average rebounding team (currently 5th in the conference in margin). And we're not great at defending the paint either.

It's weird to me because with Lattin and McNeace's reputation as shot blockers, one might think our guards and the 4 position might spend more time defending the three point line, but that's obviously not the case.

I expect to see the Sooners difficulty BTA to continue for at least the next two games. Both Kansas and KSU rank in the top 4 in the league in 3-point defense. Kansas allows only a .332 completion percentage and KSU a .329.

Conference Breakdown:
@TCU 42%, -0.9
OSU 32%, 1.1
@WVU 26%, -1.1
Tech 24%, -0.9
TCU 36%, 3.1
@KSU 52%, 1.5
@ OSU 30%, 1.1
Kansas 31%, 0.0
Baylor 52%, 8.2!
@Texas 36%, 2.0
WVU 36%, 0.2
@ISU 41%, -0.4
@Tech 52%, 4.1
Texas 38%, 1.0

It's a great stat....there's a lot of things that I see..

The biggest problem is OU gets confused on their switches (lack of communication) leaving guys open. They also give up too much dribble penetration that leads to open 3's when the bigs step over to help.

They give up way too many offensive boards because OU's guards don't rotate when the bigs help on dribble penetration (they stand and watch). Those offensive boards lead to scramble possessions where guys are going to get open at the 3-point line.

I think OU's defense in the paint is decent, their perimeter defense is not.

In my opinion it starts inside. We are absolutely terrible at defending the paint. Guards
can get to the hoop all day against us. When bigs catch it in the post against us it’s an easy hoop, a foul, or an easy kick out for a 3 pointer. Does anyone fear taking it to the basket against us? For all the hype, our two bigs don’t intimidate anyone. Also for some reason teams just shoot well against us. I see guys hitting shots with hands in their faces constantly against us. If West for WV doesn’t go absolutely nuts from behind the arc, we win that game. Many of his shots were well-defended. Yesterday when Texas lucked in their first 3 pointer off the glass I just shook my head and said “here we go again.”

Back