Current Conference Play Metrics through WVU

cbertus6

Reaction score
I thought about posting this on the Cincy game thread, but didn't want to overtake what is supposed to be a game thread with this convo. For those of you who have not signed up for the free version of cbbanalytics.com I highly recommend you do so. Some cool stats/graphs there and it is where all of the below info is coming from.

Specifically for in-conference play this year, OU is in the 2nd percentile in the entire country in steal % (6.0%) and in the 5th percentile in block % (5.0%). That puts us in the 1st percentile in the country in Hakeem % (11.0%) which is just the addition of the steal and block percentages. That means we are in the 1st percentile of every CBB team in the country for steals and blocks in conference play. I don't think I need to point out how horrible that is. Our turnover % in conference play is 17.7%, good for the 12th percentile in the country. We are giving up 17.8 points off turnovers per game, good for the 4th percentile in the country.

Changing topics a bit, we've been EXTREMELY good at defending the 3, running teams off the 3 point line, and securing defensive rebounds. Teams we are playing have a 3-point attempt rate of 32.9% (87th percentile), a 3-point % of 25.6% (100th percentile), and our defensive rebound % of 76.3% puts us in the 97th percentile in the country.

What does all this mean? Well, I think it tells us something we already know. We've been one of, if not THE, worst teams in the country when it comes to forcing turnovers in conference play, we've been pretty bad about holding onto the ball ourselves, and we're giving up a lot of points because of it. But we are also defending the three point line extremely well and not giving up multiple possessions down the floor. If we can cut down the TOs and force teams to play us in the halfcourt instead of on the break there is a LOT of potential for this team to grow. Hopefully that wasn't too long-winded, I'm just a stats guy and love when I can back up what my eyes are seeing.

I thought about posting this on the Cincy game thread, but didn't want to overtake what is supposed to be a game thread with this convo. For those of you who have not signed up for the free version of cbbanalytics.com I highly recommend you do so. Some cool stats/graphs there and it is where all of the below info is coming from.

Specifically for in-conference play this year, OU is in the 2nd percentile in the entire country in steal % (6.0%) and in the 5th percentile in block % (5.0%). That puts us in the 1st percentile in the country in Hakeem % (11.0%) which is just the addition of the steal and block percentages. That means we are in the 1st percentile of every CBB team in the country for steals and blocks in conference play. I don't think I need to point out how horrible that is. Our turnover % in conference play is 17.7%, good for the 12th percentile in the country. We are giving up 17.8 points off turnovers per game, good for the 4th percentile in the country.

Changing topics a bit, we've been EXTREMELY good at defending the 3, running teams off the 3 point line, and securing defensive rebounds. Teams we are playing have a 3-point attempt rate of 32.9% (87th percentile), a 3-point % of 25.6% (100th percentile), and our defensive rebound % of 76.3% puts us in the 97th percentile in the country.

What does all this mean? Well, I think it tells us something we already know. We've been one of, if not THE, worst teams in the country when it comes to forcing turnovers in conference play, we've been pretty bad about holding onto the ball ourselves, and we're giving up a lot of points because of it. But we are also defending the three point line extremely well and not giving up multiple possessions down the floor. If we can cut down the TOs and force teams to play us in the halfcourt instead of on the break there is a LOT of potential for this team to grow. Hopefully that wasn't too long-winded, I'm just a stats guy and love when I can back up what my eyes are seeing.
Very good post. I didn’t expect us to block many shots, but the lack of forced turnovers is a major concern. I assume everyone on the board has heard Moser constantly refer to “DCO” this season, since it’s his new pet saying. But our D hasn’t created any O whatsoever as the competition has ramped up. I was sitting next to a KU friend in Lawrence. This guy really knows basketball, and one thing he said after the game was that even though KU deserved credit for only turning it over twice, that stat was also largely explained by our complete lack of ball pressure. This is an area where there has been clear regression, and it makes you wonder if Moser is truly committed to playing that style against teams with good talent.

We seem to be an exception to the “defense travels” cliche. TCU and KU didn’t shoot the three great, but they certainly had their way with us and got a lot of easy baskets.

Very good post. I didn’t expect us to block many shots, but the lack of forced turnovers is a major concern. I assume everyone on the board has heard Moser constantly refer to “DCO” this season, since it’s his new pet saying. But our D hasn’t created any O whatsoever as the competition has ramped up. I was sitting next to a KU friend in Lawrence. This guy really knows basketball, and one thing he said after the game was that even though KU deserved credit for only turning it over twice, that stat was also largely explained by our complete lack of ball pressure. This is an area where there has been clear regression, and it makes you wonder if Moser is truly committed to playing that style against teams with good talent.

We seem to be an exception to the “defense travels” cliche. TCU and KU didn’t shoot the three great, but they certainly had their way with us and got a lot of easy baskets.
Yeah, what I was trying to identify is that fixing the turnovers on both side of the ball would take this team from seemingly struggling against good teams to potentially being the team dictating the game.

Our halfcourt D is GOOD. I think we can stand to be a little more aggressive going for some steals and trying to cause some havoc. Our O certainly can use the easy buckets.

This is where officiating can play an oft-dismissed role. TCU was reaching in and slapping at the ball throughout the game and getting away with it while OU was not. I didn't get to see the KU game (I had a previous commitment) but we all know how often the visiting team gets the benefit of the doubt there.

I'm not saying there isn't room for us to improve our ball pressure--there absolutely is--and we certainly need to cut down on our turnovers, but officiating can and sometimes does play a role. It's undeniable (in my view) that it did in Fort Worth.

It is so ironic that we are excellent in Fg% defense (both from 2 and 3), yet we are so anemic at generating TOs and blocking shots. I cannot explain the anamoly.

Back