Did anyone here watch the MU/Illinois game? Need an unbiased opinion...

Sawyer

Banned
Reaction score
I've read through a few post-game threads on some Illinois websites. The running theme is that Missouri is not very good, Illinois has more talent but Weber sucks, the refs were calling the game in MU's favor, etc. (typical post-game stuff for a lot of teams, I guess).

I'm just curious to get a relatively unbiased view of the game. I won't find much of that at any Mizzou or Illinois board, and this is the only other college sports board I really ever check.

I was only watching on and off and saw more of the second half than the first, but Missouri played a good game. They made their shots and I didn't notice any blatant bias or anything in the way the game was called. I thought Mizzou was the better team tonight from what I saw. Missouri led all (or at least almost all the second half). I think it was a good win against an Illinois team that is pretty decent. Plus, Missouri won by double digits. Anyone who thinks that Mizzou wasn't flat out the better team during that game is wrong.

I watched the game. I was rooting for Missouri- so I am not sure it is a totally unbiased take. I thought English played terrific and Missouri as a whole encouraged Illinois to speed up the game and take low percentage shots. The refs let a lot go down low. I have no problem with that, but I did think it dramatically helped Missouri. The more helter/skelter the better for MU.

Seems like Illinois should have slowed tempo and pounded the ball inside to Tisdale and Davis more in the 2nd half. Instead they let it become a track meet and neutralized their size advantage. Having two freshmen guards against Missouri's pressure is a recipe for failure. Richardson and Paul are going to be very good but their youth showed.

The UT vs Missouri game will be intriguing for that reason. Bradley, Brown and Hamilton could make lots of mistakes and UT might go away from their size as Illinois did.

What MNSooner and DFW said about the game and any claims of biased officiating.

Mizzou was simply the better team. They were quicker, more aggressive and more athletic. As DFW pointed out, Illinois made the mistake of trying to trying to play uptempo with the Tigers and it cost them. Mike Anderson has put together a group of kids that fit his run and gun, pressure on defense style. Few teams will go into Columbia (and maybe on the road as well) and come out with a win by trying to play uptempo with Mizzou.

My one criticism is that they were not very disciplined and played out of control too much to suit me. But, that's typical of the Nolan Richardson coaching philosophy that Anderson cut his teeth on.

Mizzou has some potential... Kim English seems like the real deal, and I like Zaire Taylor and Laurence Bowers.

Should be an interesting big 12 year for them.

Officiating had nothing to do with the game. MU played well, and if they play like that night in and night out, they'll be a NCAA tourney team for sure. Very much a guard oriented team whose game is predicated on forcing turnovers and hitting perimeter shots. Their big guys can run but aren't that effective in the halfcourt set, so if you can calm the game down, they can be exposed. Bruce Weber was unable to convince his team to do it; plus Illinois isn't that good.

Michael Dixon, a true freshman from Lee's Summit (my hometown), is a Tyronn Lue/Marcus Walker clone who is lightening quick and played his best game last night starting in place of Zaire Taylor. If he plays like that and English, Tiller, Taylor, etc do their thing, the Tigers are going to be tough in the Big 12.

I watched the entire game. This was just a good matchup for Missouri because of their style of play. I thought the talent levels were about the same. McCamey was the best player on the floor, but Illinois was too slow to deal with all the quick swarming guards that Missouri had. They were the aggresor and so they won. That style with this group of Missouri players wouldnt have been nearly as effective against a more talented team with veteran guards that could handle the pressure and athletes inside that were quick enough to combat their guards. All those guards were a nightmare for Tisdale. He was too big and slow to even be in the game with them.

Missouri should have an up and down year. I don't think they are nearly as good as last year because their inside guys are not as good right now as Lyons and Carroll. But they should still be competitive. I think 8-8 would be a very good year for them in the Big 12. They should be better next year because they have so many underclassmen. Dixon looks like a perfect fit for their system.

I watched the game just to watch Weber whine and cry to the officials. He has got to be the biggest cry-baby in all of college basketball.
If he spent a little more time coaching his team instead of whining then Illinois would be a lot better.

Back