Edmond Sante Fe junior prospect Josh Richardson

Sooner23

Reaction score
He was talked about in the "Oklahoma 6A High School Basketball" post I made last week, but thought Richardson deserved his own thread.

Some talent gurus think he could be a Top 100 kid and he has already apparently been offered by Tulsa and Baylor, or is at least receiving heavy attention from them.

I went and watched him play last Friday and here are some impressions I posted in that thread....

I was able to break away and check out Richardson tonight.

I'm not an expert college scout and I'm probably reaching here, but he projects as a Josh Howard type player too me. Not saying he's going to be Josh Howard, but he's that type of player from what I remember of Howard at Wake Forest.

He's about 6-5, very long, tremendous run and jump athlete and has great passing and ball skills. His jump shot looked fairly fluid and if I remember correctly hit a couple of three's in the game I watched. Very active and slashy in the lane, good at flying in for putbacks.

But what really impressed me was his defense. Sante Fe runs what looks like a 2-1-2 3/4 press and he was the one in the middle and was all over the court coming up with steals sideline to sideline. In one-on-one, he was worked very hard to move his feet and his length also really makes him that much of a tougher defender. Again, he has long arms and is very athletic.

Competition level wasn't the greatest when I watched him, but he's a guy we should definitely follow hard in AAU ball this summer. Not a McDonald's All-American, but looks like a top 100 kid to me though with loads of potential.

Also found an update on him from Rivals....

Joshua Richardson-(Edmonds Santa Fe H.S.- Santa Fe, OK) the 6-foot-5 inch 180 pound small forward is a tremendous athlete with quick feet. His ability to make shots from all 3 levels on the floor makes him a defensive nightmare. For a player his size, he has the talent to block shots in transition as well on the perimeter. Overall, he was one of the top players at the camp and is a high major prospect. Richardson is receiving interest from Baylor and Witchta St.

And here's a picture. He's got a condensed version of the old school kid n' play flat top look going for him....

josh%20richardson.bmp

BTW, Richardson and Sante Fe play Dominique Rainey and PC tonight in Edmond.

Here's another photo of Richardson from last Friday........

g0002583be0afbc578843026c0e9026db65adcab6dc9336.jpg

He and that North kid look closer to 35 than they do to 18 to me.

Love the flat top.

One more nugget of info I just read about Richardson, he had 27 and 7 in a big win over PC West, who has a couple of 6-7 to 6-8 big men types (Tyler Neal and Amric Fields) who are going to D1 schools.

Here are a couple of video highlights of Richardson #20 from last night, and some brief clips of Trey Payne and Dominique Rainey. Also, #1 for Sante Fe Mahlon Jones is a hell of a player. This kid is going to go to Oral Roberts or Tulsa or one of those type schools and we're going to be wondering why we didn't make a run at him.

Sante Fe beat PC to stay #1 and undefeated.

http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=15265

He is a GREAT kid. I hope OU has some interest and goes after him. His sister signed with OSU but is now at UCO.

Here are a couple of video highlights of Richardson #20 from last night, and some brief clips of Trey Payne and Dominique Rainey. Also, #1 for Sante Fe Mahlon Jones is a hell of a player. This kid is going to go to Oral Roberts or Tulsa or one of those type schools and we're going to be wondering why we didn't make a run at him.

Sante Fe beat PC to stay #1 and undefeated.

http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=15265

Great stuff, Sooner23! Thanks for your efforts in attending those games and posting the video link!!! :clap

Is Jones a senior? I would hate to miss out on a home state kid who leaves us kicking ourselves someday because OU did not pursue him. As you pointed out, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Richardson appears to be one heck of a player! I asked if OU was recruiting him on another thread but don't think anyone answered. Maybe one of the coaches or someone with connections to the team will read these threads and make sure our coaches know about this kid.

Our East Central team could end up playing them in the Finals of the Jenks Tourny if we play good ball. The Jenks Tournament features Drew Wilson, The Santa Fe kid and Chilton from Btw. If anyone lives in the Tulsa Area there will be good ball being played. EC plays at the UMAC the first two nights and BTW and Sante Fe play at Jenks

Me thinks Sooner23 is going to like this...

Per Jerry Myer:

A less heralded recruit, Joshua Richardson of the 2011 class, is having an impressive season for Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe High School. A high-major talent who appears to be flying under the radar, Richardson is averaging 19 points, nine rebounds and four blocks per game. Wichita State and Missouri State are presently the two schools recruiting him. A 6-foot-5, 180-pound wing player, Richardson is a high-energy athlete who competes at a high level on both ends of the court.

He's going to be interesting to follow in the AAU circuit this summer.

He's going to be interesting to follow in the AAU circuit this summer.

Yup. I think that will make or break him regarding his ability to land a Big 12 calibar offer....

Back