End of the line for Studio 66

Crimson King

Reaction score
Most of you not at the game Saturday probably saw the little farewell from Doug Bell and company. I managed to miss it; doubt it warrants a posting on YouTube, but hopefully.

There were some humorous threads on here about Studio 66, but this is pretty sad. They always brought the enthusiasm for the Big 12 and the regional package is a tradition going back to the days of Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson. The ESPNization of college sports continues...

So who's carrying the Big 12 games of the week next year?

I think the words used were "moves to a national platform", possibly mentioning ESPNU. But hopefully someone has better info.

I have been following Studio 66 since the mid to late 80s if I recall correctly. I sure hope we don't lose the coverage we have enjoyed for decades. For the most part you could watch every Big 8/Big XII game on TV. I hope that continues.

I've been following Big 8 telecasts since the early 80's when it was televised on Raycom (which used channel 25 in OKC) with Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson.

Like i said in other posts, this is the first year I was able to watch EVERY game on TV. I agree I hope we don't lose that... Even though the channel that carried the games of the week really stinks here in Houston, I looked forward to the matchups..

Awwwww...

R.I.P. Studio 66... live from Doug Bell's Mom's basement.

Seriously, though... I will miss it. Nothing "felt" more like Big 8/12 basketball than good 'ol Studio 66 on a cold Saturday afternoon...

Seriously, though... I will miss it. Nothing "felt" more like Big 8/12 basketball than good 'ol Studio 66 on a cold Saturday afternoon...

This.

I have some old Big 8 OU and osu stickers from back when I was in elementary school that have the Phillips 66 logo on them.

End of an era. At the risk of sounding old, I remember watching Jay Randolph and Gary Thompson in the 70's. (Jay Randolph butchered Wayman Tisdale's name in the 80's, calling him Teasdale)

The Big 8/Big 12 syndicated games have been a Saturday afternoon staple through TVS, Raycom, Creative Sports, ESPN Plus, Big 12 Network, and various other syndicators. They may have been low-budget and hokey at times, but they were ours. RIP.

The Big 8/Big 12 syndicated games have been a Saturday afternoon staple through TVS, Raycom, Creative Sports, ESPN Plus, Big 12 Network, and various other syndicators. They may have been low-budget and hokey at times, but they were ours. RIP.

Well said.

Agree 100%.

1382911618-A122477415-o.jpg

Next year Big 12 Basketball games will be shown on ESPN Nationally such as ESPN,ESPN 2 ESPN U and ESPNNews

Sad to hear. Always looked forward to Phillips 66 studio on winter Saturdays. One thing I won't miss will be Reid Gettys.

Back